Alaska Packing list

presjade

Ok I've looked but I'm not seeing anything recent (Don't yell please)... I am not a huge over packer/over thinker but this is our 1st Alaskan Cruise so I would like to be prepared:rolleyes: (I can't do my usual swimsuits, Flip flops & sun dresses this time) We will be taking Nothern Inside Passage end of May/June Fly in Fly fishing & Train ride Yukon are the excursions we have booked so far..Do I bring a heavy coat (taking up tons of packing space) or is a light jacket ok? Do I need hiking shoes, tennis shoes or are Teva's ok? Scarfs/gloves? Is there items in the cabin I NEED I keep reading packing lists & I would need a seperate luggage just for Zip ties, night lights, baggies, poo-pourri, duck tape for flying open doors:eek: I need a little help here Please!!

Top 10 must have items in Alaska...?

PaI don't know why you need a 'recent' post ... the advice is the same from year to year to year. Type the word 'clothes' or 'clothing' in SEARCH THIS FORUM and you'll find many threads on the topic.

The weather is unpredictable, even throughout the day, so the key is to wear LAYERS. Pack 7 long-sleeve t's or shirts for the layer next to your skin, 2-3 sweaters/sweatshirts/pullovers, topped with a hooded waterproof jacket.

A few pairs of jeans or khakis, socks, pr of sneakers, pr of walking shoes, gloves, and a hat if your jacket doesn't have a hood.

Carry a small daypack to store your layers during the day. If the day heats up you can put the jacket in your pack,or, if the weather gets cold and wet your jacket will be easy to access.

For the fishing trip, unless the vendor is supplying clothes, you might want to buy a cheap pair of waterproof pants .. $20 from Dri Ducks or Sierra Trading Post.

Edited by mapleleaves

PaI don't know why you need a 'recent' post ... the advice is the same from year to year to year. Type the word 'clothes' or 'clothing' in SEARCH THIS FORUM and you'll find many threads on the topic.

The weather is unpredictable, even throughout the day, so the key is to wear LAYERS. Pack 7 long-sleeve t's or shirts for the layer next to your skin, 2-3 sweaters/sweatshirts/pullovers, topped with a hooded waterproof jacket.

A few pairs of jeans or khakis, socks, pr of sneakers, pr of walking shoes, gloves, and a hat if your jacket doesn't have a hood.

Carry a small daypack to store your layers during the day. If the day heats up you can put the jacket in your pack,or, if the weather gets cold and wet your jacket will be easy to access.

For the fishing trip, unless the vendor is supplying clothes, you might want to buy a cheap pair of waterproof pants .. $20 from Dri Ducks or Sierra Trading Post.

OMG I have been on & off this site for over 10 yrs & I have never noticed the search forum box:confused: I always search main pg top right & it gives me threads from years ago..Thank You..& thanks for your suggestions..What about all the fancy things for the cabin? Mainly the drawers/doors flying open Is this an Alaskan thing is it common??

OMG I have been on & off this site for over 10 yrs & I have never noticed the search forum box:confused: I always search main pg top right & it gives me threads from years ago..Thank You..& thanks for your suggestions..What about all the fancy things for the cabin? Mainly the drawers/doors flying open Is this an Alaskan thing is it common??

Not quite sure what you mean by drawers and doors flying open...BUT we did use duct tape to secure the balcony divider that we had open between our cabin and our friends'. Worked great!

Another thing that I was glad I took (and had never done before) was magnetic clips. We used them to hang up a large map of Alaska on the wall so we could follow along and keep track of where we were. The magnets need to be sorta strong, otherwise the clips just slid down the wall. (The map was from an Alaska guide book I checked out from the library so I had to make sure it stayed in good condition!)

dont forget the bug spray! Not sure how bad they are early summer but in July they were the size of small birds!
Was there a place you felt bad?

The only place I felt needing bug spray was Liarsville in August... not from mosquitos, but black flies that was taking hunks of my skin.

Not quite sure what you mean by drawers and doors flying open...BUT we did use duct tape to secure the balcony divider that we had open between our cabin and our friends'. Worked great!

Another thing that I was glad I took (and had never done before) was magnetic clips. We used them to hang up a large map of Alaska on the wall so we could follow along and keep track of where we were. The magnets need to be sorta strong, otherwise the clips just slid down the wall. (The map was from an Alaska guide book I checked out from the library so I had to make sure it stayed in good condition!)

Obviously I've spent way to much time reading through packing list threads:eek: many of the posts were from Carribean & warmer cruises so I was trying to sift through the list for Alaska needs but there were several lists that included something to to hold doors/drawers closed for rough waters to keep them from flying open. We have never expierenced this on previous cruises. So I wondered if the seas in Alaska get rough enough that this would be a must?? The map idea is Brilliant Thank You!!

I forgot to add ... throw in a pair of shorts and swimsuit. You might get to use them and they don't take up any room. Some people like the pants that zip off into shorts.

The swimsuit is a must..I am counting down the days until I'm sailing, Sitting in the hot tub, Coffee in hand & watching the beautiful Alaskan views!

TWENTYATHEART..dont forget the bug spray! Not sure how bad they are early summer but in July they were the size of small birds!

Bug spray is added to the list..Thanks!!

Edited by presjade

In addition to what others have offered, here are a few of MY 'must haves':

1) Insulated coffee mug w/lid - to fill up and use for your morning Joe/tea or an adult beverage as you are out on deck;

2) Battery operated candle to use as a night light in your bathroom - you won't take up precious outlet space, and it will save you (and any cabin mates) from blinding light shock when nature calls during the night;

3) Wristlet-type wallet for your ID, cruise card, $$$, credit cards, lip balm, etc. for days in port or walking around the ship. Small enough to toss in your backpack while on excursions or even just hanging off your wrist for easy access while leaving you relatively hands free.

4) Knit headband and gloves for glacier day or chilly mornings outside on the ship.

5) Extra batteries and cards for your camera.

I you plan on doing any hiking,you might consider bear spray. Don't ask me how I know!:eek::eek::eek:

We are not planning on hiking but we are doing a fly in fly fishing trip.. Should I have bear spray with us??

We are not planning on hiking but we are doing a fly in fly fishing trip.. Should I have bear spray with us??

I would think if you are doing a guided trip the guide should be prepared. I would inquire about that.

May I suggest 2 words that will allow you to put everything you think you need in your luggage and it will fit!

Space Bags!

I can't guarantee that your luggage won't be overweight and thus may incur excess charges, but this will work if you only want to pack one suitcase.

Your cabin steward will be ready,willing and able to bring a suction vacuum hose to put the proverbial Genie back in the bottle,er,suitcase!

I have done this in the past and it was great!!!

A coworker with THREE preteen girls was so thrilled that I suggested this when he took his family to Europe on a Celebrity cruise-no self service laundry on that line,sadly. That is why I like Princess!!

Good luck!

I am taking an Alaska Cruise Tour in May/June and definitely want to use this option for myself!

• 3 weeks later...
May I suggest 2 words that will allow you to put everything you think you need in your luggage and it will fit!

Space Bags!

I am taking an Alaska Cruise Tour in May/June and definitely want to use this option for myself!

Ok I'm clueless with the space bags:confused: I see the bags at the stores but how does it work? Is there a good starter pack that would come with everything I need or do I only need the bags? How do I get the air out of them? I know sorry I warned you I was clueless:D

Ok I'm clueless with the space bags:confused: I see the bags at the stores but how does it work? Is there a good starter pack that would come with everything I need or do I only need the bags? How do I get the air out of them? I know sorry I warned you I was clueless:D

We use regular zip lock gallon or 2.5 gallon bags, put our shirts in one and undergarments in another, etc. sit on the bags to let air out then finish zipping them up. They are not as good as the space bags but serve the same purpose.

Edited by rdhnd

The swimsuit is a must..I am counting down the days until I'm sailing, Sitting in the hot tub, Coffee in hand & watching the beautiful Alaskan views!

Bug spray is added to the list..Thanks!!

We have sailed to Alaska 8 times and have never been bothered by bugs. Don't think you really need to worry about that.

The one thing you don't want to do is overpack. Remember...it is summer....don't take your winter boots or heavy jacket. We have actually gotten sunburns in Juneau and at the glaciers. The trip into the glacier can be chilly and windy since the ship is moving, so take layers. I usually pack a down vest and sweatshirt for this....it's easy to pull up the hood if it gets too windy. I do tend to bring lightweight gloves, as I tend to get cold very easily. Be prepared for rain...it might and it might not...plastic ponchos are easy to pack.

Have a wonderful time...Alaska is amazing!