Princess Alaska cruisetour question

puli

Do any of you know if there is an Alaskan Princess cruise tour that stops at the Alaska Wildlife Center?..I think it is near Seward perhaps near Girdwood ??? I found a cruisetour that does that but it is on NCL Sun and I prefer Princess (better hotel in Denali IMHO). Unfortunately Princess uses Whittier and not Seward and I cannot see a way to easily get to the wildlife center.

At the moment we are booked on a 2018 northbound cruise on Star Princess with a 5 day post tour returning from Anchorage (cannot get home from Fairbanks) but we can do a Southbound cruise with a the tour first if that will allow us to see the Center.

The northbound tour that includes Kenai makes a stop there. At least it has in the past. I'm not sure about the southbound or any of the other tours. I don't believe it's advertised but they basically use it as a way to kill some time until the rooms are ready at the lodge.

Oh yeah .....as noted above, the only time I've heard of a princess cruisetour stopping at the AWCC was on the drive from Whittier to Kenai Princess Lodge. The NB cruisetour.

AWCC is about 50 miles south of Anchorage, just beyond Girdwood. A rental car is the best option. Or go with a tour company, like Salmonberry.

Edited by mapleleaves

well I took the chance and since we could not do a northbound i booked the southbound cruise with the southbound cruisetour that goes to Kenai for 2 nights before we board...maybe we can get to the Center somehow if not it is still a great tour a bit expensive but this will be our last Alaska cruise!

Hear is an example from site in 2016

12-night Denali Explorer Cruisetour #GB5

Day Ports of Call Arrival Departure Monday, 06 June 2016 Land Tour: Fairbanks, Alaska — — Tuesday, 07 June 2016 Land Tour: Fairbanks, Alaska — — Wednesday, 08 June 2016 Land Tour: Fairbanks, Alaska — — Wednesday, 08 June 2016 Land Tour: Denali National Park, Alaska — — Thursday, 09 June 2016 Land Tour: Denali National Park, Alaska — — Thursday, 09 June 2016 Land Tour: Mt. McKinley Princess Lodge, Alaska — — Friday, 10 June 2016 Land Tour: Mt. McKinley Princess Lodge, Alaska — — Friday, 10 June 2016 Land Tour: Talkeetna, Alaska — — Friday, 10 June 2016 Land Tour: Anchorage, Alaska — — Saturday, 11 June 2016 Land Tour: Anchorage, Alaska — — Saturday, 11 June 2016 Land Tour: Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center, Alaska — — Saturday, 11 June 2016 Land Tour: Whittier, Alaska — — Saturday, 11 June 2016 Whittier, Alaska — 08:30 PM Sunday, 12 June 2016 Hubbard Glacier, Alaska 03:00 PM 08:00 PM Monday, 13 June 2016 Glacier Bay, Alaska 09:15 AM 07:30 PM Tuesday, 14 June 2016 Skagway, Alaska 07:00 AM 08:30 PM Wednesday, 15 June 2016 Juneau, Alaska 06:30 AM 04:00 PM Thursday, 16 June 2016 Ketchikan, Alaska 10:00 AM 06:00 PM Friday, 17 June 2016 At Sea — — Saturday, 18 June 2016 Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada 07:30 AM — Saturday, 18 June 2016 Land Tour: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Edited by JoAnneNYI

There are a number of private companies that do transfers from Whittier to Anchorage and vice versa. Many of them stop at the wildlife center. You can also get "limo" service that will take your group and stop wherever you wish.

thanks..i found out that there are Portage Cruise tours that also include a stop at the Wildlife Conservation Center and these go from Anchorage so we will just add an additional day in Anchorage at the end !

• 1 month later...
Our Southbound GB5 in May 2017 stops there. In my cruise documents. We stop on the way from Anchorage to Whittier to board the ship.

Do you know if on your afternoon in Denali you can switch from the history tour to the Wilderness tour.... usually they say you must spend 2 nights in Denali in order to up grade to the Wilderness tour and that the history tour is too short and does not really go into the park However, they created GB5 and for 2018 JB5 with just one night in Denali so I am assuming one could squeeze the longer tour in.

Do you know if on your afternoon in Denali you can switch from the history tour to the Wilderness tour.... usually they say you must spend 2 nights in Denali in order to up grade to the Wilderness tour and that the history tour is too short and does not really go into the park However, they created GB5 and for 2018 JB5 with just one night in Denali so I am assuming one could squeeze the longer tour in.

there is more to it, then just "squeezing" in the TWT. Depends HOW you are getting to Denali, from where, and by what mode, and when and how you are leaving the next day.

Our cruise tour thru Princess has us leaving Fairbanks and stopping for one night in each of the Princess Denali lodges and we had the option of upgrading from the history tour to the wilderness tour. And from my understanding the history tour goes to mile marker 30 in the park now.

Our cruise tour thru Princess has us leaving Fairbanks and stopping for one night in each of the Princess Denali lodges and we had the option of upgrading from the history tour to the wilderness tour. And from my understanding the history tour goes to mile marker 30 in the park now.

that's sounds wonderful..Will check with Princess the next time they have a sale.

Hello Bunny 1954....we are taking the exact same tour as you but in Aug. Our TA called princess for the upgrade and they said no. Did you ask through princess or did your TA call? Thanks for any information!