Which days are formal?

Johnno3c

First formal night will always be on the first sea day. Second will never be on the last night of the cruise. If your cruise has only one sea day, or none, they are usually on the days you leave port earliest. Since your posting history suggests you are sailing on P&O Britannia, suggest you ask on the P&O-UK board here at CC. EM

The 1st one is usually the 2nd night. this is when you can meet the captain and the officers before dinner. The 2nd one is also usually the night before the last night.

But, now a lot of people don't really 'dress up'. I have seen jeans & shorts on some ships on these nights.

Ah... on P&O, formal nights really are formal... you cannot eat in the main dining room if you're not keeping to the dress code; not allowed in certain bars... A few people don't dress, and eat in the buffet, but probably 95% of people do dress formally. A dinner jacket or suit is specified for men; I have seen the occasional person wearing shorts in the buffet in the evening, but probably not more than 2 per cruise, and they won't be allowed in some of these other places. In fact, I've known people who haven't got changed before 6pm being asked to leave one bar after 6.

But, now a lot of people don't really 'dress up'. I have seen jeans & shorts on some ships on these nights.

This applies on those lines which have abandoned dress code - but not on lines like P&O and Cunard - which have resisted the pressure of people who think that there are such things as "dressy jeans" and "nice tee shirts".

Check on line or with other sources to find out what are the expectations of whatever line you are sailing.