Golf Clubs as checked baggage?

marco

I haven't taken clubs with me in years. IN fact, the last time I did, there was no charge for ANY checked luggage. Does anyone know: How much does Delta, American, etc charge to check a set of clubs? If flying Jetblue (where 1 bag flies free) if you have a carry on and clubs, are the clubs considered the "free bag"? If not what's the charge? And on Southwest (where 2 bags fly free) are clubs considered one bag? If not, what's the charge?

Depends on the airline and your status with the airline.

My baggage and my clubs fly free.

Some airlines define bagge as one thing and have a different fee structure for sporting equipment

Depends on the airline and your status with the airline.

My baggage and my clubs fly free.

Some airlines define bagge as one thing and have a different fee structure for sporting equipment

Agree totally. Status, and level of cabin can easily affect bag fees. I have never paid for my clubs to fly, and they have flown many times.

Delta

Golfing Equipment

One golf bag is allowed as checked baggage. Checked baggage fees may apply based on travel region and total number of checked bags. Overweight baggage fees apply to bags that exceed 50 lbs. Oversized baggage fees will be waived for golf bags that exceed 62 linear inches, but bags exceeding 115 linear inches are not allowed.

One item of golfing equipment is defined as:

•one golf bag containing one set of golf clubs

•golf balls and tees; and

•one pair of golf shoes.

Golf clubs are allowed under the following conditions:

•golf bag is packaged within a hard-shell case

•golf bag is packaged within a soft-sided golf club travel bag after a limited release has been signed

•Delta is not responsible for damage noted at the time of check-in or damage due to over-packing the bag

American

Golf Clubs

Allowance/Requirements

One golf bag containing no more than 14 golf clubs, 12 golf balls and one pair of golf shoes

Cost

Charged the 1st or 2nd bag rate as applicable. When in excess, each item will be subject to the baggage charge for a single piece. See below for travel to, through or from Brazil*

Maximum Weight and Size

Maximum free weight on golf clubs is 70 lbs. Size is limited to the size of a hard-sided golf case.

Additional Information

Swingless Golf Club load strips are considered dangerous goods and are not allowed in checked or carry-on baggage.

*For travel to, through or from Brazil

Golf equipment is 50% of Brazil’s excess bag (4+) charge:

##For tickets purchased before April 8, 2014: $37.50.

##For tickets purchased on or after April 8, 2014: $42.50.