Aeroflot?

Lazy K

Have any of you had any recent experience on Aeroflot between New York and either Venice and/or Rome? I would be interested to hear your comments with regard to service, safety, comfort, etc. Their elapsed times are considerable compared to most of the other options but their fare is only about half of most of the other fares. Their equipment appears to be relatively current. Any comments appreciated.

Safety is not something to worry about with Aeroflot.

Catering on the other hand is a risky thing. While not a lot of companies are known for award winning meals in the skies, Aeroflot tends to be a bit of a gamble. Sometimes the food is ok, sometimes it's just gros (specially in economy).

I work for Aeroflot in Brussels and it's sad to say a lot of the crew barely speak English. Maybe that's not the way on their flagship routes to NYC, LAX, etc., but it is on a lot of routes.

But the aircrafts are in a good condition and I find it a welcoming cabin.

Just out of curiosity, are you sure the operating carier is Aeroflot to Rome?

Because the route you describe sounds like it will be a Aeroflot codeshare flight operated by either Delta or Alitalia.

Flying Aeroflot would involve a transfer in SVO (Moscow Sheremetevo). Or did you forget to mention the transfer through SVO on the way to Rome/Venice?

While their prices are often good, I'm not sure I'd be willing to fly all the way across Europe to turn back again, just for the sake of money.

In cases like that it's often what you're willing to offer in order to save you (at least) a couple of hours and possible heavy weather delays at Moscow.

Edited by headhunterke

Thank you for the excellent information Headhunterke. Yes, I am aware of the change in SVO. Some of the connecting times there are pretty long. I did not check for the code share. I will do so. There does not appear to be much, if any, non-stop routing, on any carrier, from New York to either Venice or Rome any more.

Glad to hear they are safe. Their aircraft seemed pretty current. However, the catering does not sound appealing and the additional transit time is not appealing, but the lower price was interesting.

I had not considered the transit visa issue Alcpa1. Thank you for that information. I will check on that.

I live in Alaska and am routing over New York to meet up with my sister so we can fly to Venice and back from Rome together for a cruise. My Transit time will be nearly 2 days total so I think we may have to reconsider whether I want to sacrifice convenience for the cost saving.

Thank you both for your assistance.

I live in Alaska and am routing over New York to meet up with my sister so we can fly to Venice and back from Rome together for a cruise. My Transit time will be nearly 2 days total so I think we may have to reconsider whether I want to sacrifice convenience for the cost saving.

Thank you both for your assistance.

Do you actually have to fly WITH your sister or can you meet in Europe? I also live in Alaska and have used Iceland Air out of Anchorage which offers great time savings on flights from Alaska to Europe.

Do you actually have to fly WITH your sister or can you meet in Europe? I also live in Alaska and have used Iceland Air out of Anchorage which offers great time savings on flights from Alaska to Europe.

This is such a better recommendation. OP, seriously, just meet in Italy. It'll make your trip much easier.

• 2 weeks later...