Southampton - late night food?

Zeno

We will be arriving in Southampton rather late the night before our cruise (around 11PM at the earliest!).

Can any recommend some sort of food delivery service (like pizza - although we would prefer something else) that will deliver that late? If not does anyone know what takeaway food places at Heathrow Terminal 2 might still be open after 9PM? We are fine with just grabbing a sandwich to go.

Assuming that you are taking a taxi, just ask your driver to find what you fancy. It will be best if you are using a Southampton based taxi though. You should be able to find just about anything you want; from fish and chips to Thai cuisine. You may need some spoons and forks somewhere easy to find (but not in your carry on luggage unless they are plastic)

Check this site:

https://www.aph.com/community/holidays/best-places-eat-heathrow-terminal-2/

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

To avoid confusion, most places on that list are in the airside departure area, so not accessible to arriving passengers.

Your choices landside at T2 are a Costa Coffee bar (which will have sandwiches and pastries), a pub (the Flying Chariot), which will be winding down or closed by the time you have cleared immigration, or M&S Simply Food, which is a decent quality food store, where you can get sandwiches and salads (and cakes, chocolate etc, of course) to take away.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

To avoid confusion, most places on that list are in the airside departure area, so not accessible to arriving passengers.

Your choices landside at T2 are a Costa Coffee bar (which will have sandwiches and pastries), a pub (the Flying Chariot), which will be winding down or closed by the time you have cleared immigration, or M&S Simply Food, which is a decent quality food store, where you can get sandwiches and salads (and cakes, chocolate etc, of course) to take away.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

To add to Cotswold Eagle's excellent reply, this official Heathrow website is informative, in general, including food.:)

http://www.heathrow.com/shops-and-restaurants/restaurants-a-z/?selectedTerminal=Terminal+2&selectedArea=Arrivals&selectedCategory=Great%20for%20budget%20travellers&selectedShop=&shopType=Restaurant&pageStartNumber=

Thx for all the info.

I think when we arrive (assuming we are on time, I don't want to keep the driver waiting) , if I spot one of the places that does sandwiches, I will grab a couple. If we spot him first I will ask if he minds if we take time to grab a couple of sandwiches or if he knows a takeway place along the way that will still be open. Does this sound sensible?

Thx for all the info.

I think when we arrive (assuming we are on time, I don't want to keep the driver waiting) , if I spot one of the places that does sandwiches, I will grab a couple. If we spot him first I will ask if he minds if we take time to grab a couple of sandwiches or if he knows a takeway place along the way that will still be open. Does this sound sensible?

As a Southampton local I've dug into late-nite eats in response to a similar question a while back. The simple answer is that from about 11pm onwards there basically aren't any other than burger vans outside nightclubs unless it's a Friday or Saturday - check out the times of the outlets in the new West Quay restaurant complex https://www.west-quay.co.uk/dining/restaurants-bars

As well as the airport outlets discussed there are a couple of 24-hour service areas en-route to Southampton.

At Fleet

http://motorwayservicesonline.co.uk/Fleet

You'll be southbound.

The main building was destroyed by fire about a year ago, so the premises are temporary. But if the available food isn't to your liking, you can take the covered footbridge to the northbound building.

I don't know whether all of the listed outlets are included in the southbound temporary premises

And near Winchester

https://moto-way.com/location/winchester-southbound/

Again, you'll be southbound (no access to northbound services)

More limited choice than usually at Fleet, but their staff don't set fire to the building ;)

Depending on the location of your hotel, this one may also be on your route or just a short diversion

http://motorwayservicesonline.co.uk/Rownhams

You'll be westbound (some call it southbound)

No access to the eastbound (some call it northbound) services.

Some of the options may not be 24-hours, but it's a condition of service areas' licences that they provide food 24 hours, so you will definitely not starve.

Your driver may know other places, or which of those above is most suitable.

Some drivers don't like passengers eating fast-food in the car due mainly to lingering smells.

Sadly wherever you eat, you'll not be impressed by either the food or the ambience.

If this is your first time in England, please don't judge us by the late-nite food options - we have super pubs and restaurants at civilised times of the day ;)

JB :)

I am not too concerned about quality in this case - edible will do. I just want to be sure that my husband who tends not to eat on planes can get something to eat. Luckily he is not too picky. His appetite will probably just be kicking in an hour or 2 after we land (9PM at Heathrow but around 4PM to us - so I figure by the time we get to Southampton, his stomach will be saying "dinner time" )

We will be arriving in Southampton rather late the night before our cruise (around 11PM at the earliest!).

Can any recommend some sort of food delivery service (like pizza - although we would prefer something else) that will deliver that late? If not does anyone know what takeaway food places at Heathrow Terminal 2 might still be open after 9PM? We are fine with just grabbing a sandwich to go.

In August, 2015 our flight didn't arrive until after 11pm, and we didn't see anything open where you come out of customs. There is a Costa Coffee and a couple of other cafes, but they were all closed.

Next month our flight is supposed to arrive at 8:40pm, and we have the same concern that you have about finding something to eat in the car on our way to Southampton.

It is an issue when your stomach is still in a different time zone. If I don't see anything open at Heathrow I will ask our driver if he minds making a brief stop for us to grab something.