Traveling with Meds

Nerfball6

You should also be taking extras with you, e.g. if it is a 7-day cruise, take at least 10 days worth. If you have a delay getting home you will need those meds.

Sage advice! I have a condition where skipping meds is not an option. I carry them in the original bottle. The last thing I want to worry about is being without essential meds.

So not worth the risk.

I also lock them in my safe onboard. I bring them in my purse, never in luggage that may get lost or misdirected.

I put my pills in one of those small dispensers with the days of the week marked that you can get in any drugstore. I never take the original bottles. I take this with me in my carryon in case my luggage is lost/delayed. I have been doing this for 20 years and have traveled all over the world and have never been stopped or questioned.

Of course this doesn't mean it can't happen. Maybe I've just been lucky.

My husband and I do the same and have had no problems.

I put my pills in one of those small dispensers with the days of the week marked that you can get in any drugstore. I never take the original bottles. I take this with me in my carryon in case my luggage is lost/delayed. I have been doing this for 20 years and have traveled all over the world and have never been stopped or questioned....

This is exactly what we do and for us also, with over 1,600 days of cruising throughout the world, we have NEVER had any problem. Carrying the original bottles is unnecessary IMO.

Scott & Karen

I used to only take what I needed, and I never had trouble, but I've seen on the tv show "Cops" several times where people were arrested or fined for carrying meds in a different container, especially for meds like pain and sleep. Legally, they need to be in the prescription bottle with the original labeling. I keep the bottles I empty, then use those with only the number of pills I need. I put them in a ziplock bag now and keep them with me. It's a pain, but better than being hassled or detained for carrying contraband! You shouldn't put them in a checked bag in case it gets lost or someone decides to help themselves to your stuff.

Edited by NoobCruise

My DH takes a lot of medications (some 2 and 3 times a day). When we are ready to cruise -- about 2 - 3 weeks before we leave, our drug store prepares small bottles with the prescription labels on them. Then I just take the bottles home, fill them with enough pills to last an extra 5 days -- just in case something happens and we don't get home right away.

I carry everything in a small medical bag in my carry-on.

And yes -- there have been a couple of times when TSA has taken the medical bag out of the carry on -- opened it up and looked at several of the bottles.

Sorry, can't help.

But I am truly surprised that the USA, so far ahead in other respects, still doesn't seem to have caught on to blister-packs. Each pack is labelled & each tab is separately sealed, so you just take as many blister packs as you'll need. Most blister packs are a week's supply, which also helps forgetful folk to figure whether they're keeping to schedule.

And even though the traveller takes original jars, who's to say that they haven't switched the contents to narcotics? (or do they have a one-way lid?)

Are blister packs, for medications or any other products, available anywhere in the US?

Just curious. :rolleyes:

JB :)

My pharmacy is happy to make up blister packs for any of their customers who request them. They have offered that service for years.

Almost all of DH's pills in the hospital were dispensed from the hospital pharmacy to the nurses in blister packs.

Edited by sail7seas

Sage advice! I have a condition where skipping meds is not an option. I carry them in the original bottle. The last thing I want to worry about is being without essential meds.

So not worth the risk.

I also lock them in my safe onboard. I bring them in my purse, never in luggage that may get lost or misdirected.

I also lock meds in the safe that I think could be 'attractive'.

No reason to leave them out on the counter.

I travel with my Rx in pharmacy bottles and also bring 5-8 days extra supply, just in case.

You seem to be misinformed.

My pharmacy is happy to make up blister packs for any of their customers who request them. They have offered that service for years.

Almost all of DH's pills in the hospital were dispensed from the hospital pharmacy to the nurses in blister packs.

Yes, that's what Hank said in an earlier post.

But in the UK (and I'd guess the rest of Europe & elsewhere in the world) it's the norm. That's how they're packed by the manufacturers and sold in all stores & pharmacies. Haven't seen a bottle of pills in years.

But in the UK (and I'd guess the rest of Europe & elsewhere in the world) it's the norm. That's how they're packed by the manufacturers and sold in all stores & pharmacies. Haven't seen a bottle of pills in years.

Okay,,,, good to know.

Lots of things are done differently in different locations.

You asked about pills in blister packs. I answered. :)

My pharmacy has no charge to the customer for blister packs if they are requested.

Edited by sail7seas

Take your meds with you only check in additional supplies from a long trip

On the cruise you need to ensure you have enough till first major port although you would find the ship would have great supplies

Take a little cooler bag as carry on if they need refrigerating

This is what I do with my uncle and all his conditions

Plus a letter from your gp stating what you are on for customs nuts

Greg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Get a letter from your doctor.

Right. That's something that couldn't possibly be made up on a pc.

I used to only take what I needed, and I never had trouble, but I've seen on the tv show "Cops" several times where people were arrested or fined for carrying meds in a different container, especially for meds like pain and sleep. Legally, they need to be in the prescription bottle with the original labeling. I keep the bottles I empty, then use those with only the number of pills I need. I put them in a ziplock bag now and keep them with me. It's a pain, but better than being hassled or detained for carrying contraband! You shouldn't put them in a checked bag in case it gets lost or someone decides to help themselves to your stuff.

That isn't the case in every state. "Cops" isn't my go to source for legal information but as far as law enforcement practices, it is fairly common to tack on every conceivable charge in order to have leverage down the line.

My DH takes a lot of medications (some 2 and 3 times a day). When we are ready to cruise -- about 2 - 3 weeks before we leave, our drug store prepares small bottles with the prescription labels on them. Then I just take the bottles home, fill them with enough pills to last an extra 5 days -- just in case something happens and we don't get home right away.

I carry everything in a small medical bag in my carry-on.

And yes -- there have been a couple of times when TSA has taken the medical bag out of the carry on -- opened it up and looked at several of the bottles.

They probably got confused and thought it was stuff that should have been in your 311 baggie. Lots of bottles are potentially dangerous to Airport Security Screeners.

Thanks for all the great responses. I guess since I'll be going through Canadian customs (on my way from Wisconsin to Alaska) I'll feel safest keeping them in their originals bottles ... even though they take up a big chunk of room in my back pack. This is the first time traveling out of Country and cruising, so I'm playing it safe. ;)

You should also be taking extras with you, e.g. if it is a 7-day cruise, take at least 10 days worth. If you have a delay getting home you will need those meds.

I'd suggest taking double the amount. Keep half in your carry on and half in your travel partner's travel bag. I had all of my meds disappear somewhere between our hotel in Rome and the port. The medical center can help with some things but simply didn't carry others. Our tour guide in Egypt was a life saver. He drove an extra hundred miles to get one of my Rx.

I too use those little plastic pill bags, store them together in a larger ziplock, and include a printout from the pharmacy listing all my meds. I now carry a duplicate of the list in my purse. Also have a letter from my endocrinologist stating I'm carrying syringes, insulin, and other medically necessary devices and equipment.

The little bags shouldn't be use when traveling to some countries. There are places that have stricter regulations and do require original medicine containers. It's safest to always check.

I'd suggest taking double the amount. Keep half in your carry on and half in your travel partner's travel bag. I had all of my meds disappear somewhere between our hotel in Rome and the port. The medical center can help with some things but simply didn't carry others. Our tour guide in Egypt was a life saver. He drove an extra hundred miles to get one of my Rx.

I too use those little plastic pill bags, store them together in a larger ziplock, and include a printout from the pharmacy listing all my meds. I now carry a duplicate of the list in my purse. Also have a letter from my endocrinologist stating I'm carrying syringes, insulin, and other medically necessary devices and equipment.

The little bags shouldn't be use when traveling to some countries. There are places that have stricter regulations and do require original medicine containers. It's safest to always check.

There are some countries that even with verified Rx, certain medications cannot be carried into their country. If any question, check in advance.

I work in a UK hospital pharmacy. Manufacturers blister packs are not the same as hospital. Manufacturers packs are for one drug; Hospitals pack all of a patients drugs for one dose (eg. Monday morning) in one blister. You could have up to eight drugs in together.

I work in a UK hospital pharmacy. Manufacturers blister packs are not the same as hospital. Manufacturers packs are for one drug; Hospitals pack all of a patients drugs for one dose (eg. Monday morning) in one blister. You could have up to eight drugs in together.

The hospital you describe is quite common in "institutions" here in the US . . . unit dose packaging.

I take the original bottles. While I've never run into a problem, I know of others that have and I figure that with my luck, it could happen to me at some point. Our last two cruises have been from ports in Europe. I just don't take chances and not taking the original bottles is a gamble I'm not willing to take.

The hospital you describe is quite common in "institutions" here in the US . . . unit dose packaging.

Ahh.

That's different then.

Personal service.:)

Though, back to the topic (ok, it was I who strayed ;)), the manufacturers' blister packs are sealed & labelled, and small enough even for a traveller needing an eight-tab cocktail, avoiding the need for questions such as this one.

Hi All, I take a number of prescription and over the counter meds, and to travel with them in their original plastic bottle takes up a lot of space in my luggage. has anyone run into problems having them in small ziplock pill bags and marked with a sharpie? I don't want to take a whole bottle for 11 days worth of meds. Somewhere I read they should be in their original bottles and packaging for air travel. Thanks!

Something that many folks aren't aware of, but all law enforcement officers know, is that transporting prescription medications, in any container other than their original labeled bottle/package, is illegal.

. . . If you are concerned I would slip the label off the bottle . . .

BIG TIME ILLEGAL !!!

So, How about this? Take what meds you need, in their original containers, with you on the cruise. Leave the excess at home until you return.

Also, take a copy of your prescription(s) with you. Just in case you need to get them refilled, or verify that your possession of the medications is legimate.

Note - Ask your doctor to write out a perscription in generic, not brand names. Specific brand name meds may not be available outside your home country.

Edited by Calgon1
'cause I can't spell

Very good advice about knowing the generic name for all meds you take.

In Massachusetts, unless otherwise indicated by prescribing doctor, all Rx are filled with generic version.

Something that many folks aren't aware of, but all law enforcement officers know, is that transporting prescription medications, in any container other than their original labeled bottle/package, is illegal.

Might be correct in your state, but totally incorrect in mine. Got a cite for your state?

There are some countries that even with verified Rx, certain medications cannot be carried into their country. If any question, check in advance.

Yep- codeine is prohibited in Greece, period. I told DH this about 10 times. As we were passing through Greek Immigration, the agent asked DH what that plastic bag was in his shirt pocket. DH pulled it out and said, "Those are my vitamins and supplements". That was partly true. It also included pills for his back pain that contained- you guessed it.:eek: DH was 70 at the time so they didn't question him further, thank God.

I wanted to note something that hasn't been discussed here- liquid prescriptions such as medicines can be over the usual 3.5 ounces and don't have to be in the Freedom Baggie. Just make sure they're in their original container with the prescription label, and run them through separately. DH has had a few questions on his (including one agent who wanted to tear off the label because she couldn't find where DH's name was!) but he's always been allowed to take them in his carry-on.

Yep- codeine is prohibited in Greece, period. I told DH this about 10 times. As we were passing through Greek Immigration, the agent asked DH what that plastic bag was in his shirt pocket. DH pulled it out and said, "Those are my vitamins and supplements". That was partly true. It also included pills for his back pain that contained- you guessed it.:eek: DH was 70 at the time so they didn't question him further, thank God.

I wanted to note something that hasn't been discussed here- liquid prescriptions such as medicines can be over the usual 3.5 ounces and don't have to be in the Freedom Baggie. Just make sure they're in their original container with the prescription label, and run them through separately. DH has had a few questions on his (including one agent who wanted to tear off the label because she couldn't find where DH's name was!) but he's always been allowed to take them in his carry-on.

You're right about the liquid Rx larger than 3 oz. My husband has a lotion Rx that is 10 oz. One time I forgot to take it out of his backpack to send it through separately. X-ray caught it, agent questioned it but after checking name on Rx label on lotion with name on my husband's boarding pass, no problem.