Advice for first few hours after landing and before ferry to Moorea?

tymike

Hi all,

My husband and I land at PPT at a about 5:15 a.m. on a Sunday arriving AF flight and will be going to Moorea later that morning on the ferry for a three night pre PG stay at the Hilton. We want to go to the market when it opens (8:00 a.m. according to their website) and then catch the first ferry that makes sense after that. We think to store our bags at the airport while we go to the store so we don't have to roll them around with us (two carry on bags and one bigger bag) but will that make us go way out of our way to pick them up before the ferry? We could also possibly ask our cab to simply wait for us while keeping our bags while we shop but will this be pricey and/or dicey as far as safety of our bags is concerned? I have no reason to think that the driver would make off with our ride and our bags but I just want to reality check with the folks who seem to know all about FP etc.

My other question is whether there is something to do between the time we arrive and the time the market opens. We may have more than 2 hours after we retrieve our bags until the market is open.

Thanks as always! Can't wait for the trip!

The market opens very early maybe 5 or 6 am. But unless you are buying provisions like produce not much else there. Souvenir shops open a bit later.

If you are buying food and liquor you may be better served visiting maharepa or Champion in Moorea to pick up stuff.

Thank you Emdee! We will be renting a car on our Monday in Moorea so your idea is perfect. I do think we will visit the market before heading over to Moorea just for fun ( and perhaps for a bottle of wine!). As we have no particular plans the first day we are in no hurry to catch the ferry

We will be staying one night post cruise at the IC on Tahiti but I think we want to do the food trucks that night and concentrate on being organized for the trip home very early the next morning.

Thank you Emdee! We will be renting a car on our Monday in Moorea so your idea is perfect. I do think we will visit the market before heading over to Moorea just for fun ( and perhaps for a bottle of wine!). As we have no particular plans the first day we are in no hurry to catch the ferry

We will be staying one night post cruise at the IC on Tahiti but I think we want to do the food trucks that night and concentrate on being organized for the trip home very early the next morning.

I haven't seen wine in the Marche.

My suggestion is take the first ferry to Moorea. Even if your room is not ready you can still relax in the ocean or pool without worrying about leaving your bags somewhere.

On the last day on board the PG visit the market before you leave the ship. We usually do this almost as a ritual even if we don't buy anything. The market is bustling from 5 am with the fish and flowers. A little later the Souvenir shops open. By 7 am there are older folks sitting outside and singing or just hanging out. It has a very communal vibe. Even the shops around are interesting.

I am sorry to be Mr. Negative here but on Sundays Le Marche is pretty much limited to the meat, vegetable and flower stalls. Most If not all the usual vendors are closed. This is what I encountered on a Princess cruise I took once that embarked on a Sunday. I don't think anything has changed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am sorry to be Mr. Negative here but on Sundays Le Marche is pretty much limited to the meat, vegetable and flower stalls. Most If not all the usual vendors are closed. This is what I encountered on a Princess cruise I took once that embarked on a Sunday. I don't think anything has changed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not Mr. Negative but Mr.Realistic!

There's the Terevau ferry as well. I've been advised by Albert's on the day we'll be travelling (not Sunday), that they have one at 8:10. It appears them might have one at 8:50 on Sunday.

There's not much to do I suspect, although this will be the first time that we will be leaving by ferry after flying in, so I will definitely look into doing the marche early in the morning on a Wednesday. We have been stuck at Fa'aa twice in the past waiting for flights after arriving very early, and we've just sat around and people watched out where the "mamas" have a stall selling souvenirs. This time perhaps we can go into the market.

I wouldn't recommend leaving your suitcases at the airport really. There is a luggage storage facility, but it would mean going back and forth, uh, three times?

Thanks all for your generous answers. I am thinking to go right to Moorea on the first ferry after arrival at the airport and use our rental car on the following day to stop at the store (as well as see everything we can!).

It's amazing that planning for this trip is coming down to the smallest details...two years after starting the process!

Thanks again! :)

Nothing wrong with having a plan ........ but

Remember this is French Polynesia, life is often a slower pace than what you may be used to ....... so be flexible as I've never had a trip to FP go exactly as planned.

Thank you! One of the things I'm most looking forward to is having next to no plan in my pre-cruise days and I so get what you're saying! I'm looking forward to a very different pace compared to my usual pace.

We've traveled to many 'blue water' destinations (but never FP) and are prepared for and looking forward to the change of pace.

I thank you again for your words of true wisdom!