Customs

augiesmom

Am booking a return flight from Miami or FT.Lauderdale on a Thursday in March 2016, after a cruise to the Panama Canal.

Can anyone give me a general idea how long it might take to get through customs? Am travelling with my mom, and I know she will be a nervous wreck if I book a return flight that might be a close call.

Thanks!

There are many variables. It might take 2 minutes, particularly if you get off the ship in the first groups. It might take 30 minutes if you arrive at the exit in the middle of the rush. Hard for anybody here to make a prediction.

What there are here is MANY threads with recommendations on when to book your flight home. You don't mention what port you are coming into, so reading some of those threads will be very helpful. For example, sailing and flying Ft Lauderdale, flights after 11 are safe. Flying and sailing Miami 11:30 is OK, but most prefer later- more like noon.

Add an hour if you are sailing one port, flying the other city.

Edited by CruiserBruce

If you arrive at the Port of Miami and are trying to fly from Miami I would book something around Noon. If arriving Port of Miami and flying out of Fort Lauderdale I would aim for something around 12:30 PM.

If arriving Port Everglades and flying from Fort Lauderdale around 11:00 AM to 11:30 AM for a flight and if flying out of Miami around 12:30 PM.

Remember, there is immigration and then there is customs. Two different things. I say this because where you go through immigration and how it is handled does vary based on various factors including itinerary.

Customs is where you have your luggage in your possession and you turn in your customs card (yes same card you use with passport for immigration). Although it does not happen often, from time to time someone gets pulled out of line and customs goes through their luggage. Customs can be quick where you are asked one or two questions or even no questions and they just collect your card.

History does not mean anything because even how immigration is handled is different based on various factors and from time to time the person in charge changes it up and from time to time things go badly wrong such as insufficient personnel showing up from immigration.

Keith