Ship Miracle - DVD player hook up question...

randys

I bring my own Blu Ray Player with me everywhere I go, the one I have now has ONLY the HDMI output and not the component/rca connections.

So

A. can I hook up my DVD player as in do I have access to the inputs on the TV in the room (Ocean Suite I think is my category)

B. do the TV's have HDMI inputs, I know all new ones do but some older ones may not

thanks

We have been on the Miracle twice. Sorry, wont work. Hubby and Son in law are both techies and said it was a no go. Something about lack of access. Not my area of expertise but trust me if there had been a way on of them would have figured it out. Our room looked like a Radio Shack store room one afternoon.

It is my understanding that even if the TVs have the ports, the remotes don't have the capabilities to change the settings on the TV to HDMI.

That is too bad, and ridiculous.

I was going to ask the other person if the issue was that these flat screens did NOT have hdmi ports but only component, either due to how old they are or if installed in Europe.

if i bring a universal remote with me maybe i can operate the input function on the tv...wonder which brand the tv's are

cant send pm's here?

Edited by randys

We have been on the Miracle twice. Sorry, wont work. Hubby and Son in law are both techies and said it was a no go. Something about lack of access. Not my area of expertise but trust me if there had been a way on of them would have figured it out. Our room looked like a Radio Shack store room one afternoon.

Can I ask a big favor?

Could you ask them why, is it

a. cant physically access the ports on the tv to plug into for some reason

b. can access but cant change input function with remote or otherwise so as to move to other input

c. flat screens are old or european and do NOT have hdmi ports (in which case component wiring would work and I have two players, one with component and one without)

thanks

Edited by randys

I don't have anything to add, but I know the frustration. I stopped taking the patch cords for my video camera because there was no way to hook them up to the cabin TVs. Especially on port days, we liked to watch what we had shot when we got back. I recall that at least one time the problem was physically accessing the panel (i.e., the unit was bolted in and no access to the back of the unit without tools). I think that was a while ago and I have no idea what ship. I also seem to remember getting to the back panel once only to find it had no input connections at all, only the proprietary one they use to feed the onboard TV signal. Again, I don't remember the TV type or ship. I say this only because I am quite interested in the outcome.

Can I ask a big favor?

Could you ask them why, is it

a. cant physically access the ports on the tv to plug into for some reason

b. can access but cant change input function with remote or otherwise so as to move to other input

c. flat screens are old or european and do NOT have hdmi ports (in which case component wiring would work and I have two players, one with component and one without)

thanks

I wish I could be of more help. Sometimes the ships kind of blur. According to SIL if his memory is correct they were old style and they couldn't access a port.

Hubby left for Brazil yesterday so he is out of communication for a couple of weeks.

I know on one of the newer ships I think if was the inability to change the input function as the remote had no option.

Since the Miracle is an older ship and has not had any upgrades recently I going with option A and possibly C.

Sorry I couldn't help more. Maybe keep bumping the thread up. Someone with better knowledge than I will surely see you question and can help.

I bring my own Blu Ray Player with me everywhere I go, the one I have now has ONLY the HDMI output and not the component/rca connections.

So

A. can I hook up my DVD player as in do I have access to the inputs on the TV in the room (Ocean Suite I think is my category)

B. do the TV's have HDMI inputs, I know all new ones do but some older ones may not

thanks

Looking at the pictures of the ocean suite on the Miracle, there's no reason it shouldn't work.... BUT, you'll need some knowledge.

1) the TV is mounted high, so you want to be careful plugging it in. I cannot tell from the pictures if there's and HDMI port that you will be able to access without un mounting the TV.

2) The TV's have an IR Blaster on the from that blocks the remote signal. They also do not give you the remote for the TV, only the remote for the set top box. You will need to remove it (velcro holds it on) and any current ANDROID phone can change the input, the Note series, LG G3, Galaxy s4 and 5 all have IR built in, you can download an app to use it as a universal remote. If you have an IPHONE, you're 3 years behind everyone else, and will need to bring a universal remote with to change the input.

in 05 and 08, I hooked up DVD players in my nephew's cabins, and they were inside rooms, on the old TV's, so you can do it. I did have to use the universal remote for the DVD player on the TV though.

Our room looked like a Radio Shack store room one afternoon.

So your room looked closed? Sorry, had to, I was a Radioshack Manager for 8 yearss.

EDIT:

As you can see in the picture, the TV's have HDMI

DSC_3880.JPG

Edited by pbsteve

That is too bad, and ridiculous.

I was going to ask the other person if the issue was that these flat screens did NOT have hdmi ports but only component, either due to how old they are or if installed in Europe.

if i bring a universal remote with me maybe i can operate the input function on the tv...wonder which brand the tv's are

cant send pm's here?

Viewsonic has the contract for Carnival. All of their TV's and monitors are Viewsonic, or being changed over to them.

WOW! Technology gone wild! I cannot imagine needing to do all that stuff to the tvs in order to use your equipment.

Are you even allowed to change everything like that?

I hope for your sake that it all works out!!

I am boggled by the need for all of this but I suppose everyone travels differently!

Looking at the pictures of the ocean suite on the Miracle, there's no reason it shouldn't work.... BUT, you'll need some knowledge.

1) the TV is mounted high, so you want to be careful plugging it in. I cannot tell from the pictures if there's and HDMI port that you will be able to access without un mounting the TV.

2) The TV's have an IR Blaster on the from that blocks the remote signal. They also do not give you the remote for the TV, only the remote for the set top box. You will need to remove it (velcro holds it on) and any current ANDROID phone can change the input, the Note series, LG G3, Galaxy s4 and 5 all have IR built in, you can download an app to use it as a universal remote. If you have an IPHONE, you're 3 years behind everyone else, and will need to bring a universal remote with to change the input.

in 05 and 08, I hooked up DVD players in my nephew's cabins, and they were inside rooms, on the old TV's, so you can do it. I did have to use the universal remote for the DVD player on the TV though.

So your room looked closed? Sorry, had to, I was a Radioshack Manager for 8 yearss.

EDIT:

As you can see in the picture, the TV's have HDMI

DSC_3880.JPG

cool, i have samsung S5, so i just look for universal remote?

installed and when i try to use it it says "change ip in settings" wouldn't know how to do that, darnit

i would even pay for one if i could get it on my phone and it worked

Edited by randys

cool, i have samsung S5, so i just look for universal remote?

installed and when i try to use it it says "change ip in settings" wouldn't know how to do that, darnit

i would even pay for one if i could get it on my phone and it worked

The s5 has a built in app called watch on. The app has a universal remote control built in. If for whatever reason you don't see it. Open the Samsung app store to get it. That app is only for samsung

OK YOU mean smart remote function which is part of my phone, it wants to know what service as in Direct tv or who, i wont know that, but it does allow for viewsonic which someone here said is their tv...hopefully i can get it to work when i get on board

found SMART REMOTE not watch on

in play store i can find watch on, do i need that AND the already on the phone SMART REMOTE?

and where is the samsung app store on the phone, i have apps in settings and play store

but no samsung ONLY app store that i can see

found it, not sure how or if i can remember where the samsung app store is but found it

Edited by randys

Not judgement, but also hoping the OP can enjoy the cruise if the hook up doesn't work?

I'd worry the same way if my DH couldn't watch the NCAA games because the tvs were broken during our cruise. Everyone has their special things that they need to make them feel comfy.

...Are you even allowed to change everything like that?

I hope for your sake that it all works out!!

I am boggled by the need for all of this but I suppose everyone travels differently!

We rearrange the furniture all the time and install extension cords and power bars that we "temporarily" duct tape to the floor or walls. The fact that this is "rearranging" cabin electronics shouldn't make a difference. In the absence of a Carnival policy stating that passengers must not tamper with the A/V equipment, I don't think it is prohibited (and therefore is permitted).

I'm serious. This sounds very important to the op yet the tv sounds to be old school or simply lacking in away to hook up the player. This sounds like so much trouble.

I guess I look at it this way. Suppose someone told you there would be no live shows on your next cruise (no stage performances, magicians, comedians, etc.). Some people (myself included) wouldn't care and it wouldn't affect my willingness to book. Some people would care a great deal.

Now assume that you're a passenger who doesn't care for the live shows, and given the choice, would always prefer to spend "passive entertainment" time watching movies in the cabin instead. I'm not hearing you say, "why bother going on a cruise if you're just going to watch DVDs", but I've heard those types of comments before. I think most people spend some time on cruise ships "being entertained", so I can see why it might not be a deal-breaker to be able to hook up a DVD player, but it might be very valuable.

OK YOU mean smart remote function which is part of my phone, it wants to know what service as in Direct tv or who, i wont know that, but it does allow for viewsonic which someone here said is their tv...hopefully i can get it to work when i get on board

found SMART REMOTE not watch on

in play store i can find watch on, do i need that AND the already on the phone SMART REMOTE?

and where is the samsung app store on the phone, i have apps in settings and play store

but no samsung ONLY app store that i can see

found it, not sure how or if i can remember where the samsung app store is but found it

I forgot s5's come with smart remote instead of watch on. you can use smart remote in place of watch on. You'll want to practice how to set it to a tv using your home TV before you go, once you're there, and out of internet range, we can't help you. once you figure it out (which is very easy) you can do it on the ship as well... again, remember to remove the sensor from the front of the TV

I forgot s5's come with smart remote instead of watch on. you can use smart remote in place of watch on. You'll want to practice how to set it to a tv using your home TV before you go, once you're there, and out of internet range, we can't help you. once you figure it out (which is very easy) you can do it on the ship as well... again, remember to remove the sensor from the front of the TV

remove the sensor ???

not sure where that would be, you mean the sensor on the box that isnt the tv or on the tv itself?

and how?

remove the sensor ???

not sure where that would be, you mean the sensor on the box that isnt the tv or on the tv itself?

and how?

Most of them have a small box an out half an inch by half an inch velcrod to the front of the tv. Just pull it off if there is one. If there isn't one on the tv when you get there, don't worry about it

Somehow I think that moving furniture and attaching an extension cord is different from totally changing how the electronics on a tv set functions.

If I was in a hotel on land I wouldn't do that and so I wouldn't do it at sea either.

We have been in hotels where it appeared that the tv didn't work. After playing around with it we realized that someone had changed the settings but had not returned them to their original configuration.

Hopefully you folks who do all this stuff so that your own equipment will work will have the courtesy to put things back the way you found them so the next cruiser can use it easily.

Somehow I think that moving furniture and attaching an extension cord is different from totally changing how the electronics on a tv set functions.

If I was in a hotel on land I wouldn't do that and so I wouldn't do it at sea either.

We have been in hotels where it appeared that the tv didn't work. After playing around with it we realized that someone had changed the settings but had not returned them to their original configuration.

Hopefully you folks who do all this stuff so that your own equipment will work will have the courtesy to put things back the way you found them so the next cruiser can use it easily.

always put everything back and i am a big tipper as well

would be willing 2 pay extra to have a tv that functions the way i want...