Which Western Caribbean itinerary: Jamaica (Epic) or Roatan (Dawn)

Hello all!

I'm in the scheming stages of a Spring 2014 cruise (with my loony sister, as always) and I find myself torn between the Epic (stopping in Jamaica) or the Dawn leaving from Tampa (stopping in Roatan).

We love, love, love the Epic (never been on the Dawn) but the hard part is choosing between Jamaica and Roatan. I think I'm more intrigued by Roatan but our love for Epic makes me hesitate and consider the other route. Ugh!

I think the rest of the itinerary is the same save for Tampa vs Miami as the starting/ending point.

Can anyone who has done these itineraries offer any opinions? I absolutely cannot decide. :confused:

I have done western but never been to Roatan. I hate Cozumel though which is every cruise ship's stop in western. I am with you on Epic. You cannot compare Dawn and Epic. I would take Epic any day over Dawn no matter where it went.

But why dont you wait until the Getaway comes out and Epic does western (although not sure it goes to Roatan).

Oh thank you all so much! I'm sure we'll do both but for some reason I must freak out about my own mortality at the ripe age of 30 and I always feel like the next cruise is my last, which I s'pose could be!

I do have a love affair with Epic but Belize (I forgot about that one) and Roatan sound lovely.

I think I agree about Cozumel. Never been there but I'd also never been to Nassau until this past January and I wasn't wild about it, as I suspected I wouldn't be. Of course, being a redhead who had my first skin cancer scare at 22, beaches are not my main attraction anywhere!

Does the Epic stop in Ocho Rios? We had an amazing tour there with Courtney Taylor, the highlight of which was the Irie Blue Hole--swimming in a giant waterfall, playing in the cascades--incredible. I even considered a land vacation to return there--still in my mind for the future.

On the other hand, I loved Belize, a very unique place. But if I had to pick it would be Ocho Rios.

I've been on 2 cruises thay went to Belize and one that went to Roatan and would recommend these ports over Jamaica. Roatan is just stunning. Belize is not as stunning unless you get away from the port... We saw the xunantuwich. Ruins or however you spell it and it was amazing. Our friends who recently went to Jamaica were bugged half of their visit to buy things from locals which really isn't horrible but feeling pressured to buy something and being surrounded by local trying to force their clothing etc onto you isn't my idea of a good time. I know they have to make a living and do respect that but when it makes the couple feel uneasy that's not cool.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

I believe that it does. :)

Does the Epic stop in Ocho Rios? We had an amazing tour there with Courtney Taylor, the highlight of which was the Irie Blue Hole--swimming in a giant waterfall, playing in the cascades--incredible. I even considered a land vacation to return there--still in my mind for the future.

On the other hand, I loved Belize, a very unique place. But if I had to pick it would be Ocho Rios.

I very much agree. Despite the fact that we are women, neither of us are big shoppers. We prefer sightseeing.

A coworker of mine did the Dawn western Carib route several months ago so I'm making him bring his pictures to show me tomorrow. He too said Roatan was amazing.

I've been on 2 cruises thay went to Belize and one that went to Roatan and would recommend these ports over Jamaica. Roatan is just stunning. Belize is not as stunning unless you get away from the port... We saw the xunantuwich. Ruins or however you spell it and it was amazing. Our friends who recently went to Jamaica were bugged half of their visit to buy things from locals which really isn't horrible but feeling pressured to buy something and being surrounded by local trying to force their clothing etc onto you isn't my idea of a good time. I know they have to make a living and do respect that but when it makes the couple feel uneasy that's not cool.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

Just Got off the Dawn on 5/3, had an awesome time and the boat is alot smaller than the Epic but she is a beautiful ship, our cruise went to Ocho Rios and well lets just say that was the first and Last time the Dawn was planning on going there, one person had their wallet Pick pocketed we were Constantly followed by peddlers i couldn't wait to get back on the boat.. I Have been on a cruise to Belize, and Rotan and they are both very beautiful Countries, tendering in Belize wasn't that bad.. Hope this helps you make your decision...

I just have to say for the record we were not hassled once on our Courtney Taylor tour in Ocho Rios. Maybe the guides knew the touristy places to avoid. We had amazing chicken/beef patties at a little fast food place and excellent jerk chicken at a place frequented by locals. Of course as I mentioned the waterfall was the highlight and there the local guides were more than courteous and polite, not even close to asking for tips (which they rely on). We did stop at a shopping place where the sales ladies pushed but we knew that beforehand. Maybe take a tour and avoid the shopping areas and you will see what a beautiful place Jamaica is.

We had a blast on our Dawn voyage in March. In Roatan we did a private tour with Victor Bodden, who took us to an iguana farm and monkey sanctuary. We got some great pics with monkeys and parrots/macaws on our shoulders and heads. In Belize we went ziplining and cave tubing which was a blast. I would do it all again in a heartbeat! Haven't been on the Epic yet, but I've stopped in Jamaica, which was nice, but not as nice as these ports.

I love both the Dawn and the Epic. Jamaica is now a deal breaker for me after a few experiences I've had there. I seriously don't think I'll ever get off the ship if I happen to choose a cruise that stops there. I've been on a ton of cruises and it's the only place I can definitely say that I didn't feel safe. On the flip side, Roatan and Belize are amazing places and I can't recommend them enough.

I'd pick the Dawn :)

I have been to Ocho a few times now and am not a fan. People are very pushy, they will follow you, ask where you're going and say "oh yea, its right over here", something you already knew. they'll walk next to or in front of you till you get there then demand a tip for showing you the way :rolleyes: we went to turtle river falls (enchanted gardens) this past trip and it was very nice and not many people there at all. most places are tourist traps that are packed with people and VERY over priced. the only thing i really like about the place is "scotchies". its a small chain on the island that has incredible jerk chicken and "festival" (fried corn bread with peppers in it). the port was dropped during next years repo we are booked on and couldn't be more happy.

cliff notes - Ocho is BAD, go to Roatan

I dont know, does it mean anything that I want to run away and be beach bum in Roatan????? That place is amazing!!! My DD loved Belize the best, Caye Caulker is great....rent a golf cart and have a blast...We have done that itinerary 2 times and this time we wanted to just try the Epic, but next year we are going back to Roatan and Belize. We are not all that keen on Cozumel, but last trip we did take a taxi to the other side of the island and it was amazing :D...We went to Jamaca and that is one port I really have little desire to go back to...just saying..

I have sailed on Epic and Star (sister to Dawn). Enjoyed both ships. Did not really experience the wow factor on Epic, but certainly did not dislike it.

Roatan - Went to Little French Key one time. Certainly a little slice of paradise. Husband has been to Fantasy Island Resort. He thought it was nice enough for a beach day and snorkel.

Ocho Rios - Booked Dunn's River Falls and highlights tour with Mark Morris. Climbing the falls with our tour group was a fun experience and we will do it again someday.

Does the Epic still go to Grand Cayman? If so, I would pick that one in a heartbeat. Jamaica was nothing special, quite frankly, although I didn't have a bad experience on the sail/falls tour. But I LOVED Grand Cayman and our sail to Stingray City and would love to go back. We had high winds in Cozumel and our excursion was cancelled, so I can't speak to that port as we stayed on the ship and drank margaritas instead.

Personally, we thought the pushiness of the people for tips was a PITA in Jamaica. That said, Dunn's River Falls was fun as was the bobsled tour. Belize and Roattan were absolutely beautiful. We would go back in a heartbeat. I have never been on the Epic so I can't give you an opinion on the boat... But we go to Bermuda on the Dawn each year and love the boat.

.... But we go to Bermuda on the Dawn each year and love the boat.

i was had the pleasure of being with a group when a guy was corrected for commenting to the captain how he had a beautiful boat. the captain said "sir, this is a ship. the boat is what we get into if the ship is sinking" haha i love that line

So grateful for all the responses! It's very helpful.

I'm leaning more towards the Dawn for the next Caribbean cruise. We will absolutely 100% be on Epic again but I think we can experience a couple different ships in between.

Not a dealbreaker but certainly something to consider. I enjoyed having the 3 sea days on the Epic. It gave us more time to explore the ship - and to sleep in since we were in Howl at the Moon til 1am every night they performed.

That particular trip was definitely more about the ship than anything else.

you need to also think about the dawn 4 ports vs epic 3 ports 1 extra sea day is that a deal breaker?

Archived