Did our taxi driver try to scam us?

virginialucy

On Sunday my BF and I disembarked from the Silhouette at Port Everglades. We were heading to the Embassy Suites on 17th St. We got into a taxi and as we were pulling away, the driver informed us that there was a $20 minimum charge for SUV taxis. We didn't request or have a particular need for an SUV taxi, we were just directed to the next one. My BF told him the signs near the taxi stand indicate that there are no flat rates, but he insisted that it was a new rule and it hadn't been posted anywhere yet. I informed the taxi driver that we would be paying the fare on the meter, and we continued on to the hotel.

Has anyone heard of this, or did our driver just think we were an easy mark?

This is the first I have read about this on the board, but having said that, many of us here are victims of fraud and scams concerning Fort Lauderdale taxi drivers.

It is often recommended that large parties choose an SUV because it is the same rate as a regular sedan. So unless something has recently changed - very recently - I would say he tried to pull a fast one. You handled it well. :)

We got off the silhouette from our recent TA from Rome. We waited about 40 minutes for a taxi to Budget Car hire on 17th street

There were three of us and he charged us $10. We did give him a good tip as I felt this was a short fare from pier 22/23? And he could have likely got a Miami airport run. However when waiting for our hire car someone else said they had been charged $20 from the same ship.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On Sunday my BF and I disembarked from the Silhouette at Port Everglades. We were heading to the Embassy Suites on 17th St. We got into a taxi and as we were pulling away, the driver informed us that there was a $20 minimum charge for SUV taxis. We didn't request or have a particular need for an SUV taxi, we were just directed to the next one. My BF told him the signs near the taxi stand indicate that there are no flat rates, but he insisted that it was a new rule and it hadn't been posted anywhere yet. I informed the taxi driver that we would be paying the fare on the meter, and we continued on to the hotel.

Has anyone heard of this, or did our driver just think we were an easy mark?

He was POed you were only going a few blocks and tried to scam you.

Yes he did try to scam you. It should have been metered.

Keith

There is a $10 minimum when leaving the port. Other than that, you go by the meter. FLL cab drivers in general, do not have the best reputation. That being said we have enjoyed some great drivers there.

When did that start?

It has been a wee bit. I know it was in effect this past January to April. We usually stay at the Hilton Marina and it was posted I believe in the cab. We did a few cruises during that time and I cannot remember the exact time right now, old age

It has been a wee bit. I know it was in effect this past January to April. We usually stay at the Hilton Marina and it was posted I believe in the cab. We did a few cruises during that time and I cannot remember the exact time right now, old age

I ask because we didn't have this on our January cruise. Just a small amount that you have at some airports such a around $2.000

Leaving FLL,airport , a cab driver asked if we needed a taxi. Sure did. Hopped in and told him Embassy suites 17th st. Hub was looking around and didn't see a meter. Started a conversation and said we stayed at ES every trip. When we got there, cabby said $55. please. What?? We usually pay $16+. Nope, I'll settle for $45. I told him he was a crook, I was going to report him and he gets nothing. He left !!!! Lesson learned.

Edited by booze brothers