Medications and liquids

kjeanne2001

Do medications have to be in original bottles? The reason I ask is I get big bottles and don't want to take them. I would prefer to put them in a weekly pill reminder container.

I have purchased some 2 oz containers to put gel and shampoo in. Are these acceptable in the 3-1-1 Baggie?

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

It's best to keep them in original containers. If leaving the country, I would never take them out of original containers. I know some people so, but I sure as heck wouldn't.

The 2oz containers are less than 3.4oz so subtraction says they're okay ;)

I did make smaller bottles for each RX by peeling a label off a large container and taping it with clear tape onto the small bottle. Frankly nobody bothered to look at my wonderful efforts. I usually put a RX label on a plastic snack bag with the clear tape and count out what I need plus a week into the bag. I have the label by using the refill label since I refill on line. The label shows my name, Dr. name, drug name and dose and directions with RX number and date. Make a new set of bags each year so RX is current.

I am going back to my snack bags -- takes much less room and less to deal with. I could prove that the RX is legal by showing the RX on the pharmacy website. I see no problem but if there is -- I guess I would deal with it. Bottles for me means carrying at least 25 containers!:o

Do medications have to be in original bottles? The reason I ask is I get big bottles and don't want to take them. I would prefer to put them in a weekly pill reminder container.

I have purchased some 2 oz containers to put gel and shampoo in. Are these acceptable in the 3-1-1 Baggie?

Thanks but I guess I didn't ask that right - I was more concerned liquids would not be in an original container and would just be random liquids in a clear bottle.

My husband who travels frequently always uses a weekly pill container. He has never been questioned.

My concern regarding original containers is more in regards to customs and international travel, not really any kind of airport (or other) security. Even on cruises, most of which are international, customs can come in to play, and it's always my opinion that prescriptions kept in original bottles make for MUCH easier customs clearance, should you be searched.

I travel abroad a lot. I luckily don't take any prescriptions (perks of being only 30!), but if I did, I would never take them out of the original bottle for international travel. There are some places that have rules where even "normal" (to us) medications are banned based on ingredients inside them. Sure, that may not be the case on a cruise to Jamaica and Cozumel, but it's something to consider for future travels.

Edited by Zach1213

Thanks but I guess I didn't ask that right - I was more concerned liquids would not be in an original container and would just be random liquids in a clear bottle.

If by random liquids you mean shampoo and the like, un-labeled 3.4 oz/100 ml or less containers are not a problem. I have a few that I re-fill for travel & mark w a Sharpie what's inside (i.e. so I don't mistake my lotion for hair conditioner :eek:).

If you mean liquid medications, they are exempt from the 3-1-1 rules (i.e. they don't have to go in the baggie) and I have never had a problem bringing them in their original container, though for mine they are not very large containers.

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/3-1-1-carry-ons

My concern regarding original containers is more in regards to customs and international travel, not really any kind of airport (or other) security. Even on cruises, most of which are international, customs can come in to play, and it's always my opinion that prescriptions kept in original bottles make for MUCH easier customs clearance, should you be searched.

I travel abroad a lot. I luckily don't take any prescriptions (perks of being only 30!), but if I did, I would never take them out of the original bottle for international travel. There are some places that have rules where even "normal" (to us) medications are banned based on ingredients inside them. Sure, that may not be the case on a cruise to Jamaica and Cozumel, but it's something to consider for future travels.

The benefits of being 30 are no RX! :D:D You are so right! But for those whose lives are so much better with chemistry (pills) it does become a big deal. I weighed my last trip's pill supply and it was over 8 pounds for a 6 week supply and that is second only to my lotions and potions for hair and skin at 8 pounds :p -- snack bags weigh so very little compared to plastic bottles with big child proof caps and large enough (original containers I'm speaking of) to hold a 3 month supply -- how they come from mail away pharmacy. Also as you take the pills all you have left is 6 day supply with 1/2 ounce worth of labeled snack bags. I also have bottles, boxes, and

For liquids I think original bottle for safety cap and because I have not found a method of transporting that works as well as the original bottle. RX bottles in that case do not have to meet the 3oz rule. I always carry all medication on my person or carryon and I have 2 day supply in a separate place/container. My life/health depends on the medication being available and regular.

Would this have bothered me at 30? You bet! Does it bother me now at 67? No that is what it is. Also when they see my ton of pills and look at me -- yep they go together!:eek::p

I agree with those who find it a waste to carry the 90 could pill bottle for a couple of weeks worth of pills. My solution is to either call the mail order pharmacy and ask them to send me either labels or small labeled bottles for travel purposes. Another option is to get the Dr to write a Rx for a short refill and get them locally in the smaller bottle. I've been successful at this a couple of times by "accidentally" not getting my 90-day refill ordered in time and needing a short Rx to time me over. Another option is to ask for the meds to be packed in blister packs for travel purposes. Some pharmacies will do that. My local one will actually blister pack anything, even putting morning meds in one blister, evening meds in another, all with Rx labels

If you have a lot of meds, you may wish to pack them separately to make certain they stay with you.

For the liquids, pretty much anything goes as long as it is in the 100ML or under bottle and fits into a one quart bag.

Script bottles make no difference unless they are sealed from the manufacturer. Just because it has a label from the pharmacy that is no assurance that it contains that medication. What is to stop an unlawful person from carrying a script bottle and filling it with illegal drugs.

Lots of folks here tells tales of what "could" happen but there are no cases documented here where someone was denied entry or had lawful scripts confiscated/detained because they were not in pharmacy jars. Pack a list of your medications, dosage and doctor's contact info. This list can also been invaluable if you were injured and they needed a list of everything you are taking. Mail the list to yourself and your traveling companions so it could be accessed in a medical emergency. Keep a printed copy with your weekly pill minder for travel.

I do agree that any liquid scripts should be kept in original bottles simply because of leakage.