Connection Time - KEF

seafood

Prior to our transatlantic cruise departing from Rome (CIVITAVECCHIA) in early November, we are going to spend a week in Frankfurt. Iceland Air has a flight departing on October 19th from Ontario (ONT) to Frankfurt (FRA) which is reasonably priced. This flight has a stop in Seattle and then on to Revkjavik (KEF). The layover in KEF is only 40 minutes. Is this enough time?

Any thoughts on Iceland Air?

Thanks in advance for any and all responses.

40 minutes is fine, the airport is small and a single terminal (with a nice duty free shop). They coordinate the connections we'll also. It's been a few years since I last flew Icelandair but I am a big fan. Downside is that they fly 757's but the food and service are both good and the stop in KEF is very easy.

No issue with the airline or the airport. It is small and easy to navigate. Personally I think 40 minutes is tight anywhere. It won't take much of a delay anywhere on your trip to be late arriving and possibly missing your connection. If there is another option with a longer layover I would investigate it. If this is the only option then I wish you the best and a great vacation.

I flew on Icelandair last September and was very happy with them and would not hesitate to book again. I can't advise on the short layover but, as others have mentioned, the airport is small. We opted to have a day-long layover so we could see a bit of the country before continuing our journey.

I still haven't purchased our tickets yet. I'm really still nervous about that connection time, but glad to hear that Iceland Air is fine as an airline.

I'm going to post my questions on the Europe boards, but thank you all for responding.

I still haven't purchased our tickets yet. I'm really still nervous about that connection time, but glad to hear that Iceland Air is fine as an airline.

I'm going to post my questions on the Europe boards, but thank you all for responding.

Can you break it up and arrive KEF one morning and leave the next? It requires extra time and a night of hotel, but Reykjavik is a great little city.

That Duty Free shop is wonderful..... but the clothing is soooo expensive.... but if you want real cold weather gear you'll find a great selection there!

Should you decide to stay over it's easy to get in to town from the airport (which is quite a ways away).... there's a bus with a ticket machine in the arrivals area where you can buy return tickets. From the Central Bus station you can grab a cab to your hotel; if I recall correctly there may also be a hotel shuttle bus that will tour the hotels..... info at their tourist information desk.

Can you break it up and arrive KEF one morning and leave the next? It requires extra time and a night of hotel, but Reykjavik is a great little city.

Zach1213, thanks for responding. We really do not want to stay overnight, but I guess we would have to if we can't make our connection. I'll do some research on hotels as a plan b if we decide to use Iceland Air.

NorbertsNiece, thanks for the info.

Icelandair charges the same fare whether you continue on direclly or overnight in Reykjavik. The only extra cost would be, of course, the hotel room. You can book these thru Icelandair's website.

Steve

Icelandair charges the same fare whether you continue on direclly or overnight in Reykjavik. The only extra cost would be, of course, the hotel room. You can book these thru Icelandair's website.

Steve

Not just hotel, but also meals/drinks, ground transport (the airport is in Keflavik, which requires transportation to Reykjavik...it isn't far, but is a cost), and any potential sites. I think it's worth it, but it's not for everyone.

Thank you all for responding. To my surprise, DH told me that he wants a nonstop or minimum one stop. Therefore, I booked our flight with Lufthansa, which is nonstop LAX to FRA. This makes me happy! :-)

I will keep all the info about Iceland Air for future reference.

• 2 months later...
Prior to our transatlantic cruise departing from Rome (CIVITAVECCHIA) in early November, we are going to spend a week in Frankfurt... Thanks in advance for any and all responses.

What are you looking to do in Frankfurt? I lived there for 3 years. Lots of things to do in the city, plus a good base for things to do in the surrounding area!