Tender advice and Whale Watch Cabo reviews?

firsttimer1!

Quick (or maybe not) questions for expert advice. Going to be in Cabo from 11-7 on ms Veendam 12/22/15. Wanted to book Whale Watch Cabo...anyone ever book this tour? I liked the free photo share and 10 person group size compared to Zodiac cruise shore excursion. Just stressed about tendering. First time on a cruise and so we'd be given no priority. Also, if the tour ends at 5:15 MT, does HAL's 7pm mean 7 or 8. Wanted to be sure we'd have enough time for getting back to ship....Thanks in advance. I have been loving CC though nervous with what seems like lots of negative Veendam reviews. But this is a multi generational trip not planned by me so I had no choice. :) Just gotta not sweat the small stuff and enjoy things....

I understand the 7:01. Makes sense. I've read on other threads that HAL doesn't recognize local time until after Cabo. So that when HAL lists departing at 7pm in Cabo, do they really mean the ship leaves port at 8pm Cabo local time? I ask because the Whale Watch returns at 5:15pm, and I am wanting to get to the boat tender dock in plenty of time. So does that give me 1hr 45min to get back to boat or 2hr 45min to get back to boat. Boy, time changes are confusing!

Following....I have a Whale watching tour scheduled through HAL, and would like to ready about your impressions of yours.

When are you going? Yeah, the Zodiac whale watch tour from HAL looked great and convenient but then Whale Watch Cabo (easy google find) seemed really appealing. Small boats of ten led by marine biologists and then you get access to their photos. Got great reviews on Trip Advisor and the like. Their tour time is 2:45pm - 5:15pm so it seemed like we wouldn't have to stress to get the first tender off the Veendam though coming back could be tight. I think a Zodiac would be fun but could be too bumpy. It would be for me and DH (both 46) and our two 9 yr olds so we could handle the ride. It's a gamble and who knows, we may do the HAL whale watch so I won't need to worry about tender times, etc....

What about you?

We cruised to Mexico last year on the Veendam and took the HAL Whale Watching excursion in Cabo (the large catamaran, not the small Zodiac).

First of all, tendering is no problem on a small ship like the Veendam. People on the earlier excursions will get priority, but other than that it is easy-peasy. Kind of fun, actually, and a very scenic ride. The whale watching boats are right next to the tender dock, and there is no trouble at all returning to the ship.

This is one time that I strongly recommend the HAL excursion over independents, and this is coming from a couple that normally arranges their own port activities. The HAL whale watching boat was large and comfortable with space to walk around, chairs and tables in the shade, and an open bar. That's right, all you care to drink plus a few snacks.

All the whale watching boats ended up going to the same whales and we were comfortable while the people on the other tours looked miserable in their cramped Zodiacs. All boats had the same viewing distance.

igraf

Quick (or maybe not) questions for expert advice. Going to be in Cabo from 11-7 on ms Veendam 12/22/15. Wanted to book Whale Watch Cabo...anyone ever book this tour? I liked the free photo share and 10 person group size compared to Zodiac cruise shore excursion. Just stressed about tendering. First time on a cruise and so we'd be given no priority. Also, if the tour ends at 5:15 MT, does HAL's 7pm mean 7 or 8. Wanted to be sure we'd have enough time for getting back to ship....Thanks in advance. I have been loving CC though nervous with what seems like lots of negative Veendam reviews. But this is a multi generational trip not planned by me so I had no choice. :) Just gotta not sweat the small stuff and enjoy things....
Edited by igraf

We cruised to Mexico last year on the Veendam and took the HAL Whale Watching excursion in Cabo (the large catamaran, not the small Zodiac).

First of all, tendering is no problem on a small ship like the Veendam. People on the earlier excursions will get priority, but other than that it is easy-peasy. Kind of fun, actually, and a very scenic ride. The whale watching boats are right next to the tender dock, and there is no trouble at all returning to the ship.

This is one time that I strongly recommend the HAL excursion over independents, and this is coming from a couple that normally arranges their own port activities. The HAL whale watching boat was large and comfortable with space to walk around, chairs and tables in the shade, and an open bar. That's right, all you care to drink plus a few snacks.

All the whale watching boats ended up going to the same whales and we were comfortable while the people on the other tours looked miserable in their cramped Zodiacs. All boats had the same viewing distance.

igraf

Thank you igraf. That was a great review. That Deluxe Whale Watch isn't offered by HAL in Dec. Doesn't start until Jan and we'll be there Dec 22. :( And with your take on those on the Zodiac, I think we'll pass on booking the HAL zodiac and find a private one onshore instead. Wish us luck that we'll make it to and from with little issue! :D

Just remember if the ship is scheduled to leave at 7pm the last tender will probably be at 6:30pm.

Thanks for the heads up. Would you recommend us taking a privately booked excursion that doesn't return until 5:15pm? I read that the lines to get those last tenders can be crazy busy....Appreciate the guidance. I also note you were on the Veendam. How was the ship? Not like there is anything I can do about it at this point but just curious. We have an OV on the lowest deck but at least near some elevators.... :)

The ship will never leave passengers at the tender dock who were there on time. Your only obligation is to be at the tender dock by the designated "return to ship" time. HAL will continue to run tender boats until everyone at the tender dock is picked up.

It has been my experience that the tender dock crowds for HAL are rather sparse towards the end of the day as most passengers prefer to be back on board with a comfortable margin. Or because they are just hungry for that lido buffet.....

You may have read other accounts for the 3000 - 5000 passenger ships. This will not apply to the Veendam small-ship experience.

igraf

Thanks for the heads up. Would you recommend us taking a privately booked excursion that doesn't return until 5:15pm? I read that the lines to get those last tenders can be crazy busy....Appreciate the guidance. I also note you were on the Veendam. How was the ship? Not like there is anything I can do about it at this point but just curious. We have an OV on the lowest deck but at least near some elevators.... :)
Edited by igraf

The ship will never leave passengers at the tender dock who were there on time. Your only obligation is to be at the tender dock by the designated "return to ship" time. HAL will continue to run tender boats until everyone at the tender dock is picked up.

It has been my experience that the tender dock crowds for HAL are rather sparse towards the end of the day as most passengers prefer to be back on board with a comfortable margin. Or because they are just hungry for that lido buffet.....

You may have read other accounts for the 3000 - 5000 passenger ships. This will not apply to the Veendam small-ship experience.

igraf

igraf, thank you for your insight. It truly eases my worries. I'm addicted to reading all these threads and tend to focus on the negatives which snowballs to worries. So thanks, can't wait for December!