Cinque Terre from La Spezia for Dummies (I'm the dummy :)

mmccool719

We arrive to La Spezia for a port day. We have chosen CT to explore for the day.....July 26 to be exact. I am totally confused about how to get there and back. Is there anyone out there who has actually been there, done that who can guide me in layman's terms step by step or refer me to a site that does? Would like to take a combo of train and ferry, swim, have a small lunch, explore, take pics and of course get back to ship in good time. Should I buy the daily CT pass? There's 4 of us, parents and 2 teen sons. I've looked down the threads, trust me, just cannot wrap my head around this one. Appreciate your help and insight in advance!!

There are two different Cinque Terre cards, one covers the trails and museums only and costs €7,50 for one day, the other (called Cinque Terre Treno card) includes unlimited regional train usage for €16 for one day. If you are going to use ferries in addition to the train this probably won't pay out for you but might be worth it just for the convenience of not having to purchase point-to-point tickets.

I think that the reality of unfathomable crowds may cause you to use the trains less than you expect, but maybe not. The heat in July may cause you to hike less than you expect, but maybe not. The hiking paths are generally the best way to avoid the crowds but they take some effort.

The park web site is a pretty good source of information: http://www.parco****onale5terre.it/Ecinque-terre-card.php

My last trip to CT was in October and even then, on a weekday, in mid/late afternoon it was hard to get on the trains due to the crowds.

The daily ticket for the boats, starting from La Spezia, is a lot more expensive at €35 (fare chart here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B68xwDrx0UDhMTc2U01YaXpBVnM/view) but I think it gives you a far more pleasant day. The trade off, in addition to cost, is less flexibility. On the plus side the ticket office and departure point are just steps from where the port shuttle bus drops you off.

You could add in some point-to-point southbound train trips early in the day if that improves your flexibility, these trains won't be as crowded as later in the day. Point-to-point tickets are inexpensive.

We arrive to La Spezia for a port day. We have chosen CT to explore for the day.....July 26 to be exact. I am totally confused about how to get there and back. Is there anyone out there who has actually been there, done that who can guide me in layman's terms step by step or refer me to a site that does? Would like to take a combo of train and ferry, swim, have a small lunch, explore, take pics and of course get back to ship in good time. Should I buy the daily CT pass? There's 4 of us, parents and 2 teen sons. I've looked down the threads, trust me, just cannot wrap my head around this one. Appreciate your help and insight in advance!!

We walked to 4 out of the 5 towns, using the lower trails. The views were spectacular! If you decide to incorporate any hiking between the towns, try to go from north to south. We went from south to north and it was very very difficult because it's more uphill (and steeper) than coming from north to south. We made it to the 4th town, and then opted to take the train to Monterrosso. Whatever you decide, make Monterrosso your starting point (just in case you decide to try hiking).

Yes, if you look at the schedule I gave you previously you'll see that you can, however, note the time it takes to travel by water vs. by train. It would be faster to take the train to Monterosso in the morning, then use a combination of hiking and boats as you work your way back to La Spezia throughout the day.

The first ferry doesn't depart until 9:15 AM and arrives to Monterosso at 11:20.

Assuming you arrive to the port at 7 AM you should be able to make the 8:25 train (maybe even an earlier one, but at least this one) that arrives to Monterosso at 8:47. That gives you almost three additional hours vs. the ferry.

Right now you can still not hike the lower trail (actually a paved trail) between Riomaggiore and Manarolo. It has not yet reopened after the mudslides years ago.

The hiking trails are not for the beginner or out of shape. They are largely single-track "goat trails". You are on the sides of the cliffs at places and no guardrails. And, you are exposed for most of the trip - making it very hot. You really have to start first thing in the AM to get most of it done before the sun starts beating down on you. You've got to bring lots of your own water - no place other then in each village - for the hike. I did this in an end-of-April trip and it was already hot and dusty; I can only imagine it in Summer! And, you had be best to not wear sandals or flip flops - dirt and rocks and twigs abound on the trails.

I advise against doing the entire lower hiking paths if you are just in for a quick partial day. I did all 5 trails pre-mudslide with 2 of my friends. It took from morning to late afternoon. We were staying in Vernazza, so we could afford to use up one day just hiking. We used our other days to go to the beach in Monterosso al Mare, and to go visit Manorolo, Coniglia, and Riomaggiore.

We did Cinque Terre 2 years ago about the same time of year from the QE. I must admit we booked their excursion and was glad we did as the villages are very busy this time of year. It wasn't too expensive and included coach to the first village, chartered boat to the furthest village, then a train back to the middle village. There were times the train station platform was absolutely packed. There was plenty time to explore the areas on your own. We thoroughly enjoyed this trip. I would love to go back and explore under our own steam but the pressure of getting back on time is always there especially as we saw people miss the ship at Gibraltar.

So I am understanding correctly, The $35 "daily ticket" gets us on the ferry at La Spezia, allows for stops at each village for about an hour and then gets me back to La Spezia? There would be no need to ride trains then, right?

So I am understanding correctly, The $35 "daily ticket" gets us on the ferry at La Spezia, allows for stops at each village for about an hour and then gets me back to La Spezia? There would be no need to ride trains then, right?

We are also going to be at CT on the same day... We are planning to take the train early in the morning when possible, as the train would arrive much quicker than the ferry giving us more time to visit. I would strongly suggest that you pick two to three villages to visit to avoid being rushed and trying to beat the crowd. We have selected to go to three of them by train going to the farthest one first and coming back, while stopping to the one we selected. See ya in Italia!

Yes, as I was working through the ferry schedule, it's nearly impossible to take the ferry both ways and see all 5 villages AND make it back to port on time. We may take train to Monterosso and ferry on the way back. Which villages are you seeing?

To answer your original query take the first ferry from La Spezia right through to Monterosso .

Monterosso has two halves joined by a shared use pedestrian/road tunnel . Ferries arrive in Old Monterosso and the train station is on the waterfront in New Monterosso . TThen train it up to Vernazza for lunch. Then walk the coastal trail Vernazza to Corniglia and take in the views. Descend 300 odd switchback steps to the station below. Then train it to Manarola, then train back to La Spezia Centrale. Taxi back to your boat . If you run short on time then trim your sails accordingly .

Check CT website to ensure paths you want to walk are open . Most of the coastal paths are closed except for Vernazza - Corniglia, easy going and takes approx an hour with a few steps .

http://www.parco****onale5terre.it/Eindex.php for CT path info OPEN or CLOSED

http://www.navigazionegolfodeipoeti.it/en/ for Ferry timetable La Spezia - Portovenere - Riomaggiore - Manarola - Vernazza - Monterosso

Trenitalia train timetables from CT Tourist Offices at all stations La Spezia to Monterosso.

Combined CT Passes & Rail Day Passes avaialble from same CT Offices in same stations . Ferry tickets at the pier or on board . Hope this helps .

http://www.cinqueterre.eu.com/images/stories/Cinque-Terre-train-timetable.pdf

Above lnk shows the CT train times allegedly valid from April, 1 2017. However caveat emptor get the latest CT train timetable from any of the CT tourist offices at each CT station and La Spezia Centrale station . (Italian train times change at the phase of the moon !!! Remember this is Italia and un annouced changes are part of the FUN !!! )

Based on the ferry times (link in original post & above train times I would suggest)

Take 0915 ferry from La Spezia as far as Vernazza (arr 1105) , alight walk inland to the railway back to water front take in some light refreshments and bottled water and or early lunch . Then walk the coastal path from Vernazza to Corniglia . (Path is signed or ask the locals and takes off the main drag up some steps heading inland on the right.) walk to leave Vernazza say 1230 walk to Corniglia , say 90 minutes . Village is up on hill. Refresh and walk down 300 zig zag steps to station . Take 1450 train up to Manarola arr 1455, walk down to waterfront and explore . Then 1554 train from Manarola arrive La Spezia Centrale 1605 then taxi back to your cruise boat should have safely back well before 1700 .

You will see Portovenere, Riomaggiore, Manarola & Vernazza from the water. Then walk a decent piece of coastal trail with pebbles and stairs, railings ; quite safe and OK if you are reasonably fit. See Corniglia high up on the hill and finally Manarola .

Check the ferry times and train times nearer your travel date on the web links. Finally get the CT train timetable from the CT Tourist Office at Vernazza station, then adjust your plans if the train times are slightly different. Hope this helps .

http://www.cinqueterre.eu.com/images/stories/Cinque-Terre-train-timetable.pdf Above lnk shows the CT train times allegedly valid from April, 1 2017. However caveat emptor get the latest CT train timetable from any of the CT tourist offices at each CT station and La Spezia Centrale station . (Italian train times change at the phase of the moon !!! Remember this is Italia and un annouced changes are part of the FUN !!! ) Based on the ferry times (link in original post & above train times I would suggest) Take 0915 ferry from La Spezia as far as Vernazza (arr 1105) , alight walk inland to the railway back to water front take in some light refreshments and bottled water and or early lunch . Then walk the coastal path from Vernazza to Corniglia . (Path is signed or ask the locals and takes off the main drag up some steps heading inland on the right.) walk to leave Vernazza say 1230 walk to Corniglia , say 90 minutes . Village is up on hill. Refresh and walk down 300 zig zag steps to station . Take 1450 train up to Manarola arr 1455, walk down to waterfront and explore . Then 1554 train from Manarola arrive La Spezia Centrale 1605 then taxi back to your cruise boat should have safely back well before 1700 . You will see Portovenere, Riomaggiore, Manarola & Vernazza from the water. Then walk a decent piece of coastal trail with pebbles and stairs, railings ; quite safe and OK if you are reasonably fit. See Corniglia high up on the hill and finally Manarola . Check the ferry times and train times nearer your travel date on the web links. Finally get the CT train timetable from the CT Tourist Office at Vernazza station, then adjust your plans if the train times are slightly different. Hope this helps .

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All

Interesting discussion to watch!

We arrive in La Spezia next Tuesday at 0700 and depart at 19.00.

We would like to take the ferry trip to see the villages from the sea but sounds like a long journey by boat.

My question is do you have to pre book the ferry or pay at the port on the day?

Thanks

Grinch

Can anyone tell me if there is a bus from the harbor in Le Spezia to the train station in Le Spezia (Centrale)? Alternatively how much is the taxi fare?

Wouldn't it be easier to take the boat from La Spezia Harbor? It's about an hour to the first town, but probably convenient and a nice ride. Why not just check the ferry schedule?

We were in Cinque Terre last weekend and stayed in the new town side of Monterroso. Our cruise actually ended in Civitavecchia and we bought to first class tickets to La Spezia for 25 euros total and switched to a Monterroso train from there for 4 euros each. The trip, in total was close to 4 hours, but well worth it. Cinque Terre has the beauty of Positano without the snootiness and crazy prices. The beach lounge chair and umbrella rentals at 11 euros for the day was a decent deal as well. We wound up not walking as the Monterroso to Vernazzo leg is the toughest and it was hot. We did take a boat tour of all 5 towns with Angelo's Boat tours that was very good. This was one place on our bucket list that matched or exceeded our expectations. I'm glad we had two days and two nights.

• 3 weeks later...
Can anyone tell me if there is a bus from the harbor in Le Spezia to the train station in Le Spezia (Centrale)? Alternatively how much is the taxi fare?

Anybody out there with this information?

Also, does anybody have exact walking directions from port to train station?

No buses from port, taxi is 15 euros flat fee, we met another couple on the port transfer bus (6 euros I think it was pp) found out they were doing the same us and shared the taxi cost. Not sure about walking, looked a fair distance mostly uphill from the taxi.

Loads of tavis awaiting at the port tourist office when you get off the bus.

Hope this helps