wheelchair available on carnival

Moz

Is it possible to have the use with either a deposit or fee for a wheelchair for the entire cruise without the hassle of having to rent one from a rental firm. This would be on a carnival ship. Guest service cannot seem to give me an answer on this.

Thank you.

Is it possible to have the use with either a deposit or fee for a wheelchair for the entire cruise without the hassle of having to rent one from a rental firm. This would be on a carnival ship. Guest service cannot seem to give me an answer on this.

Thank you.

Guest services can't/won't give you an answer, because it seems to vary from ship to ship, and even from cruise to cruise. When I was last on Carnival, they had no wheelchairs to rent. There were some on board, but could only be used to get on/off the ship. Since then, the reports have been mixed -- some folks have reported that indeed there were manual wheelchairs to rent ($50 for the week), others say no. So you'd be taking your chances that one would be available, I think.

Personally I would not chance that there would be a suitable - accent on suitable - wheelchair available. If you wish to use one the last one may have just been rented to someone else. You may get the oldest clunker with wobbly wheels or a transport chair that you cannot propel yourself. The safest course in my opinion is to either bring your own or rent one.

Thanks for your responses really appreciate the information if there is any more out there could you share. We will be on the Miracle. We had used their chair before on other Carnival cruises but just wanted to know about that ship if anyone has the information. We would be happy with anything we could get rather than pay the fee to the rental company as funds are a consideration for us. Thank you.

I've never been able to use a wheelchair on a Carnival ship. They are few and far between, many are not in good repair, and I was told they are for emergency use only or for embarking or disembarking. Do you know of anyone you could borrow a wheelchair from, or can you call your local agency for disabled services? Sometimes they will loan out wheelchairs. FYI, I've rented from a local company near my home, and it wasn't all that expensive----only $45 for a week. Check local agencies, rental companies and also stores that sell medical equipment.

You also might consider just buying a used wheelchair that you can use whenever you need it. If you are flying to the port, having your own chair will save you a ton of hassle at the airport, as well as the money to tip the wheelchair pushers. It's really easy to fly with a manual wheelchair - they just gate-check it as they do baby strollers, and you get to use it right up to the airplane door.

I see you live in a small city, but I took the liberty of checking on your local Craigslist, and today there is a manual wheelchair offered at $75. At that price, you'd own it for all future cruises. In my market, they can be found as low as about $50, so you might do even better.

My advice is to get your own manual wheelchair so you don't have to worry about it, and it will save you money in just two trips compared to renting at $50 a week. Plus, you will have it if you want to go to a local event.

It may also be a liability issue. If they rent you a wheelchair and your have an accident with it, they may be liable particularly if the wheelchair was not maintained properly.

Just take your own from home. It may be a hassle, but at least you know what you have and what to expect from your own wheelchair.

Good luck and have a wonderful cruise.

Annieeee

Archived