Mediterranean Spain vs Bay of Biscay Spain

JVNYC

Good day all! I can't decide between 2 itineraries that focus on different parts of Spain:

First itinerary is southern Mediterranean Spain: Cadiz (Seville), Malaga (Granada), Almeria, Alicante, Cartagena.

Second itinerary is northern Bay of Biscay Spain: La Coruna, Bilbao, Gijon

Both are in July and both look very interesting.

I have not visited any of these ports and would love to hear your comments.

Thank you!

Well, first of all they have different climates. In the Med it will be very hot in July with temperatures in the 30s, but in the north will be more pleasant with cooler temperatures and none or a lot less mosquitos.

The Mediterranean coast of Spain is very over developed with large holiday resorts. The north has a lot less foreign visitors and is an area frequented by Spaniards for their summer holidays.

The character of the people is very different too. In the north they are more reserved, but in the Med are very exuberant and noisy. All of them very welcoming though. The food is very different too.

If I were going to choose the itinerary in July it would be the north of Spain, because it is too hot and busy in the Med in July and August. I also think the scenery in the north of Spain is prettier as it is greener with beautiful beaches and high mountains.

However, it depends what interests you and what you want to see. For me the most 'Spanish' of Spanish cities is Seville, but a one day visit on a cruise ship from Cadiz wouldn't do it justice. Malaga has plenty to occupy you for a day or you may wish to visit the Alhambra Palace which is lovely.

On the other hand Bilbao has the Guggenheim Museum and a lovely old town centre. From Gijon you can visit some lovely fishing villages like Cudillera or take a trip up to the Picos de Europa, the stunning mountain range.

I think you need to do a bit of research and read up on the ports of call to see which places most interest you.

First, I think either would be an excellent choice. Some might say the chance of heavier seas might occur in the north, while the MED is more tranquil, but July should not be a big issue.

The only point I would think of right away is given away in your post.

Malaga is actually a great distance from Grenada and Cadiz is a great distance from Seville. Andalucía is actually very conductive to a land vacation as you can really enjoy the region and culture fully by car.

I would personally never visit Grenada from Malaga nor Seville from Cadiz, but I am fully aware thousands of passengers do just that every year and leave satisfied with this type of full day excursion.

Transferring to Santiago from La Coruna and to Oviedo from Gijon and then to central Bilbao from the port could just prove more relaxing by ship without the need for as extensive of day tours.

Of course, I am actually a fan of staying in Malaga and Cadiz when I visit those ports and avoid the full day trips. That said, the Alhambra is not to be missed and is certainly one of the most spectacular sights in the world. I just prefer to stay in Granada when I visit the Alhambra.

Good day all! I can't decide between 2 itineraries that focus on different parts of Spain:

First itinerary is southern Mediterranean Spain: Cadiz (Seville), Malaga (Granada), Almeria, Alicante, Cartagena.

Second itinerary is northern Bay of Biscay Spain: La Coruna, Bilbao, Gijon

Both are in July and both look very interesting.

I have not visited any of these ports and would love to hear your comments.

Thank you!

Either one would be good. If it were me, in July I would do the northern Spain cruise and do a tour of Santiago de Compestela from La Coruna. Later on I would do a land vacation to Spain.

I have to say that a Med cruise in July would be off putting to me for the reasons other have stated, although I think the itinerary would be interesting.

I've been to La Coruña and Gijón as port stops on cruises. If you take this trip, I would strongly suggest from La Coruña doing an excursion to Santiago de Compostela (as recommended above). It's a World Heritage site, and the medieval Cathedral is believed by Catholics to house the ashes of St. James. It's the destination for zillions of pilgrims from all over the world, who come by foot, bike, horse, etc. along the "Way of St. James." No need to be Catholic or even religious to appreciate the history and architecture. But if you do go, I recommend watching the Martin Sheen film "The Way" before hand, as I think you'll appreciate the visit more.

In Gijón, we took an excursion to Oviedo, which seemed based on my research to have a little more going for it than Gijón did. Okay for walking around for a few hours; I can't say this was a great port call, and there's probably a good reason doing a search in this forum for Gijón won't turn up much. (I'll add that we visited in the fall, so walking around on the beach wasn't an option.)

Whatever you decide, have a great trip!

Edited by Turtles06

Thanks to all for your posts! All great information. I will say the heat of July in the Med does not bother me at all. I actually prefer the warm nights on the ship....the air is amazing on summer nights.

I was curious if the sights were better one versus the other. You can't go wrong with the Alhambra or Seville....wanted to see how that compares with Bilbao and Santiago de Compostela. Hard to compare I guess.

What is nice is that I can do one this year and the other the next....nice thought.