boarding time

stevel45

My boarding time is 12:30-1:30 Pm. If I arrive earlier would I be able to board?

Thanks

First of all, you do not have a boarding time, you have Port Arrival Time. Although, they are generally 15 or 30 minute windows not an hour.

The PAT you select during your online checkin is tied to the actual boarding number you will get during your check in at the port.

The terminal opens at 10:30, with boarding generally starting around 11:15-11:30 with Concierge guests followed by Platinum Castaway Club members. Then they start announcing boarding numbers.

If you arrive earlier than your selected PAT, and the terminal is full/busy, you may be asked to wait until either your PAT or the terminal is less busy.

If you are allowed to enter early, you will still receive the same boarding number you would receive arriving at your correct time.

Once the number being issued at check in catches up with the number being announced for boarding, Open Boarding is announced (anyone holding any boarding number may board). This typically occurs around 12:30-12:45.

I have never seen a 1 hour PAT window. That's not to say that it can't exist, but you might want to re-check your time.

As above, your boarding card number is tied to your PAT. Showing up before your PAT will not change your boarding card number. Shmoo described the process well. If you arrive early, you MAY be kept outside the terminal briefly until some of the people in the terminal board the ship (they can't exceed the number of people the fire marshal allows in the terminal). Once you are inside, you'll be able to check in and then wait until your boarding number is called.

If you show up at 12:30, you can expect to walk right in, have little or no line to check in, and basically board the ship with no waiting. If you arrive early, you might board a few minutes earlier, but it won't be a significant difference.

My personal opinion--arrive sometime between 12 and 12:30. You'll experience a small amount of waiting but be boarding as early as possible. Any earlier than that and you are just wasting your time.

I agree 30 minutes is a good contingency...

• extra time for traffic congestion and rental car drop off
  • extra time for luggage, carry-on, weapons, hand, body and cavity searches. Ask for the full meal deal!
  • DCL has a bonus character at the terminal.... get the kids started early for character pictures to complete their collection. Don't miss out!
  • the ship wifi was available to me in the lounge waiting area.... sign up for the wifi and get your 50mb while checking out the Navigator to plan for opening day event activities.
  • on my trip.... I guess there was a lot of late people for the PAT time. I was allowed to board 45 minutes ahead of my PAT time when I arrived an 90 minutes early for my searches.
  • I prefer to get there early for my PAT time. Need to hit those buffets (that I paid for) before they close at 2pm. They make you starve while listening to the evacuation procedures.

Edited by xlxo

I agree 30 minutes is a good contingency...

• extra time for traffic congestion and rental car drop off
  • extra time for luggage, carry-on, weapons, hand, body and cavity searches. Ask for the full meal deal!
  • DCL has a bonus character at the terminal.... get the kids started early for character pictures to complete their collection. Don't miss out!
  • the ship wifi was available to me in the lounge waiting area.... sign up for the wifi and get your 50mb while checking out the Navigator to plan for opening day event activities.
  • on my trip.... I guess there was a lot of late people for the PAT time. I was allowed to board 45 minutes ahead of my PAT time when I arrived an 90 minutes early for my searches.
  • I prefer to get there early for my PAT time. Need to hit those buffets (that I paid for) before they close at 2pm. They make you starve while listening to the evacuation procedures.

You don't need to buy a wifi package to access the on line Navigator or any Disney web site. Yes, there is sometimes a free offer for the regular wifi on the first day.

The buffet seating closes at 2 (you don't have to be done eating by then), but the fast food outlets stay open till 3:30. You won't starve if you arrive late. Room service is also available. Everything closes for the muster drill and then re-opens when it is over.

Nothing like a little nasty symantic sarcasm to get one excited about their cruise.

Sorry, but it really IS different. It is not a boarding time, and people who see it as such are going to be frustrated and disappointed. The terminal technically opens at 10:30 (in reality, often 15 minutes or so earlier), and boarding doesn't start till 11:15. If you have a 10:30-10:45 or 10:30-11:00 PAT, there is no way you will board during your window. (new ships have 15 minute PAT windows, classics have 30 minutes). If one believes that a "10:30" PAT means that they will be boarding the ship at 10:30, they are very wrong. It does mean that they will be among the earliest "regular" guests to be allowed to board--after concierge, family of the day, and platinum guests. But they will be boarding more like 11:25 than 10:30!

Had Shmoo stopped with the quoted line, that would have been sarcastic. In reality, she went on to explain the process, much as I did above.

Edited by moki'smommy

Nothing like a little nasty symantic sarcasm to get one excited about their cruise.

What you're mistaking for "sarcasm" or nastiness is someone who has a whole lot of information on this topic, and, from what I've seen, shares it with people all day long on multiple forums.

Precision isn't rudeness.

So, you should always grab the earliest PAT time regardless of when you plan to show up at the port? That way you'll get an earlier boarding time?

When we boarded, we had a PAT time of 11 something and we didn't get to the port until 12:45. We were told we could board right away and that it was "open boarding". When does open boarding start?

So, you should always grab the earliest PAT time regardless of when you plan to show up at the port? That way you'll get an earlier boarding time?

When we boarded, we had a PAT time of 11 something and we didn't get to the port until 12:45. We were told we could board right away and that it was "open boarding". When does open boarding start?

Open boarding starts when the crowds at the terminal are gone--when they are calling a boarding number and not very many people show up to board because the others in the terminal have higher numbers. It is typically about 1 or 1:30, but varies with the number of people in the terminal as they want to keep an orderly process.

You will get an earlier boarding card number with an earlier PAT. So from that standpoint, it makes sense to say grab the earliest available number. BUT that means you are taking that early time/number from someone who could actually use it. DCL would have you choose a time about when you actually think you'll arrive at the terminal. Much as I do not advocate flying in on the day of the cruise, if your flight lands at MCO at 11:00, it makes no sense for you to grab a 10:30 PAT. Why? You won't be at the terminal till at least 12. Now, if my choices were 10:30 or 2 pm, I'd take 10:30. But that's not usually the way it happens. If 10:30 is available, 11:30 and 12:00 are probably available also--so grab one of those times. If you show up at the terminal at the very beginning of your PAT window, your wait time will be quite minimal for any boarding time after 11:30 or so. If you have a 10:30 time and show up at 10:30, you will wait about an hour!

If the only PAT I could get was after 1:00, I'd still show up about 12:30 or 1. By the time I've checked in, they are getting ready to call open boarding, so no real waiting. Also, but bus transportation from WDW typically arrives about 1:30. It is a good thing to be on the ship before those buses arrive!

How does one book a PAT?

Thanks

Kerri

Selecting a Port Arrival Time is part of the online check in process. When that window opens (for online check in as well as booking excursions) depends on your Castaway Club level.

Platinum CC/Concierge guests - 120 days out.

Gold CC - 105 days out

Silver CC - 90 days out

First time cruiser - 75 days out.

Selecting a Port Arrival Time is part of the online check in process. When that window opens (for online check in as well as booking excursions) depends on your Castaway Club level.

Gold CC - 105 days out

Silver CC - 90 days out

Ok so I am silver. So at 90 days out I can checkin online and arrange, arrival time, excursion.

What about dining rotation? Is that the same?

Thanks

kerri

Ok so I am silver. So at 90 days out I can checkin online and arrange, arrival time, excursion.

What about dining rotation? Is that the same?

Thanks

kerri

You can call DCL and put in a dining request at any time. Ignore their talk about how it is only a request and cannot be guaranteed, etc. Just thank them and ask them to note your request. Then when you board, go to "dining changes" if your KTTW doesn't show what you wanted.

No, it is not the same time as the on line stuff. The dining request must be done on the phone.

You can call DCL and put in a dining request at any time. Ignore their talk about how it is only a request and cannot be guaranteed' date=' etc. Just thank them and ask them to note your request. Then when you board, go to "dining changes" if your KTTW doesn't show what you wanted.

No, it is not the same time as the on line stuff. The dining request must be done on the phone.[/quote']

Thanks. just made my ressie yesterday for April 2016 and he said that rotations aren't out yet.

Any idea how far in advance rotations are set?

Kerri

Thanks. just made my ressie yesterday for April 2016 and he said that rotations aren't out yet.

Any idea how far in advance rotations are set?

Kerri

That's a new one. Guests are assigned to rotations about 2 weeks in advance of boarding.

I've never heard the line that rotations aren't out yet. But I'd try them again just before 120 days. Concierge guests can choose a rotation and be sure they will get it, and they can start making reservations at 120 days. I know we have made requests 6 months out with no problem, but since you are 14 months out...yeah, that sounds a little early. It probably means they MIGHT change what they are currently doing and want to maintain flexibility.

Hello. I hope it's ok to ask these questions here!

I just booked for the March 27th 3 night Dream Cruise using VGT. We've only sailed DCL once before which was 2 years ago on concierge level so we were able to board pretty early.

My PAT for the 27th is 10:45-11:00AM . I did not see a boarding time anywhere. Until I saw this thread, I was thinking PAT=boarding time but apparently not. Has that not been assigned since it is a VGT or am I missing it?

Also, do you know how far in advance staterooms are assigned for VGT?

Thank you so much!

Edited by cinmell

Hello. I hope it's ok to ask these questions here!

I just booked for the March 27th 3 night Dream Cruise using VGT. We've only sailed DCL once before which was 2 years ago on concierge level so we were able to board pretty early.

My PAT for the 27th is 10:45-11:00AM . I did not see a boarding time anywhere. Until I saw this thread, I was thinking PAT=boarding time but apparently not. Has that not been assigned since it is a VGT or am I missing it?

Also, do you know how far in advance staterooms are assigned for VGT?

Thank you so much!

Staterooms for a VGT are assigned anywhere from 2 weeks before embarkation till at the port. Yes, I do mean that most of the time you will find your assignment on line at 10-14 days, but it can be changed up to the time you check in and sometimes you won't see anything till you get to the terminal.

You NEVER are assigned a boarding time. You are assigned a boarding group NUMBER which is tied to your PAT. When you check in at the terminal, you'll be given a boarding card with a number on it. Since you have an early PAT, you will have a relatively low number. You wait at the terminal till they call your number. Typical wait (if you show up at your PAT window) is nothing-30 minutes. Showing up early will not get you on board any earlier with an early PAT.

If you have a PAT after 12:30 or 1:00, showing up at 12:30 will get you on the ship ASAP.

Staterooms for a VGT are assigned anywhere from 2 weeks before embarkation till at the port. Yes' date=' I do mean that most of the time you will find your assignment on line at 10-14 days, but it can be changed up to the time you check in and sometimes you won't see anything till you get to the terminal.

You NEVER are assigned a boarding time. You are assigned a boarding group NUMBER which is tied to your PAT. When you check in at the terminal, you'll be given a boarding card with a number on it. Since you have an early PAT, you will have a relatively low number. You wait at the terminal till they call your number. Typical wait (if you show up at your PAT window) is nothing-30 minutes. Showing up early will not get you on board any earlier with an early PAT.

If you have a PAT after 12:30 or 1:00, showing up at 12:30 will get you on the ship ASAP.[/quote']

Thank you!:)

Gold CC - 105 days out

Silver CC - 90 days out

Score... sorta. Least I won't be last.

In any case, isn't it to your advantage to try and board as early as possible? I mean, if you need to hit up Guest Services to get tickets to Anna and Elsa, or book whatever. A lot of that stuff is first come, first serve, right? So try and get to the port as early as possible and get as early a PAT as possible so you can hopefully book whatever it is you are trying for.

Score... sorta. Least I won't be last.

In any case, isn't it to your advantage to try and board as early as possible? I mean, if you need to hit up Guest Services to get tickets to Anna and Elsa, or book whatever. A lot of that stuff is first come, first serve, right? So try and get to the port as early as possible and get as early a PAT as possible so you can hopefully book whatever it is you are trying for.

You seem to be a little confused. You get your PAT on line when you do your on line check in. Getting to the port early will not get you an early PAT--you already have a PAT before you get to the port. IF you arrive at the port without doing on line registration, you'll get a late boarding number!

Yes, there are a few things that are first come, first served--tastings, Elsa and Anna on bigger ships/shorter cruises (on our Magic cruise we were told there were enough slots for each cabin to have one but you got your best choice of days by getting there early).

SO is it to your advantage to get an early PAT when you do your on line registration--yes. Is it a good thing to arrive at the terminal before your PAT? Not if your PAT is before 12:30 or 1:00. If you have a late PAT (like after 12:30), show up at that time. With a morning PAT, showing up early just means more waiting at the terminal. It won't get you on the ship sooner.