Harbor Bridge Sanding, Re-Painting, Big Project!

TLCOhio

From the News in Australia yesterday, they have this headline: "Sydney Harbour Bridge's toxic makeover" with these highlights: "Sydney Harbour Bridge is set to undergo its biggest makeover in 81 years, to remove highly-toxic lead paint. The city side of the iconic bridge, which is used by bridge climbers and is closer to residential homes and offices in The Rocks, will be sanded back to bare steel and repainted with a non-lead-based paint - which will last 30 years. The colour will still be 'Harbour Bridge Grey'. Roads and Maritime Services NSW said work to sand back the lead paint would be carried out in a 'laboratory-style', air-tight, sealed environment by workers wearing biotech suits. An RMS spokeswoman said there was no risk of flakes of lead paint becoming airborne and harming members of the public, including climbers. The bridge overhaul will take two years. Not since the 1932 has such an enormous project on Sydney's most recognisable icon been undertaken. About 485,000 sq m of steelwork - the equivalent of 60 football fields - needs to be painted. Huge sections of the world-famous coathanger, particularly at the northern end, have suffered from heavy rust and corrosion in recent decades. It takes 30,000 litres of paint for just one coat on the Harbour Bridge and it is maintained by a team of almost 100 RTA workers, most at the site full-time."

Interesting details and background on this famed bridge, the technical aspects to this project, etc., that will be going on while we are there in Jan. 2014 for our Solstice to Auckland, 14-day cruise. Lots of areas to paint, maintain, etc.

Wonder how these "laboratory-style", air-tight, sealed structures will affect the "look" of the bridge. Might not be pretty attachments on the bridge visually.

Full story at:

http://www.news.com.au/travel/news/sydney-harbour-bridges-toxic-makeover/story-e6frfq80-1226653348996

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 131,582 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Disappointed, I had planned to climb it next March but I am not paying all that money if part of it in any picture is wrapped up for sanding or painting. Of course they may not even offer the climb when they are working in certain sections.

Sent from my iPad

rest assured the climb will be offered . too many $$ for it not to be.

The bridge has been painted continuously since opening so my guess is it will be hard to discern from a distance the stage and phase.

She's a big girl and it wouldn't be hard to hide some level of refurb..

if you;ve been here before i bet you never even noticed the painting

rest assured the climb will be offered . too many $$ for it not to be.

The bridge has been painted continuously since opening so my guess is it will be hard to discern from a distance the stage and phase.

She's a big girl and it wouldn't be hard to hide some level of refurb..

if you;ve been here before i bet you never even noticed the painting

Thanks hope I can still climb it with it looking nice along with the surroundings

Sent from my iPad

Archived