Alaska Land & Sea Adventure help!

Love2laugh

Good morning Cruisers!!

I am hoping to get some insight/opinions on the following two cruises. There will be three of us cruising ages – 32, 43 and 65 all women.

Our goal of the cruise is to experience everything that we can. We know this will be a once in a lifetime trip and want to get as much as possible out of our trip. We are currently looking at Holland America’s land and sea trips.

12-Day Triple Denali (Anchorage to Vancouver)

Vs

13-Day Triple Denali (Seattle to Vancouver/Seattle)

Any insight that you can provide on either cruise would be extremely helpful!

Please do not feel limited on commenting on just these two cruise. We welcome any information that can be provided.

First there are no Triple Denali that ends up in Seattle. All Cruise-tours either start or end in Vancouver . That is because of the PVSA(Jones Act) that doesn't let foreign flagged ships carry passengers or cargo between two US port without stopping in a "Distant" foreign port . Vancouver, Victotia or any canadian port aren't far enough.

Many people after visiting Alaska once on a Trip of a lifetime . Just keep coming back .

Edited by Kamloops50

May I suggest that you do a lot of research about what interests you in Alaska. Then prioritize and make your decisions. There is so much to see and do :) If Denali is a priority then make sure you have a full day in the park and go as far as you can.

Have you considered renting a car and DIY?

I found this website useful http://www.alaska.org/ Also check the Denali National Park websites.

Thoughts....

• Vancouver is a $50 shuttle ride if you want to explore Seattle too.
  • Vancouver is more interesting than Victoria and bigger than all the Alaskan ports combined. You want extra days there.
  • Celebrity Solstice offers a Vancouver to Seattle 7 day return on September 2.
    http://cruise.expedia.ca/Cruise/en-CA/Itinerary-B?item=731896

Edited by xlxo

First of all , look into flying direct to Fairbanks instead of Seattle. You lose two days just traveling . Two days of your tour are flying/travel days. When you get to Vancouver try and spend a few days visiting . Then fly home or take the shuttle back to Seattle.

All this is. is HAL being a booking agent adding a flight.

Are you fixed on a mainland cruise tour? And you know details about Denali ? Problem with these cruise tours, and all the days- is you likely will be doing a lot independent. Why not consider that to begin with? Especially with 3 days there, the bargain of bargains- is Denali's buy 2 get 3 entries (IF continued next season) and the ability to get to Eielson- which is superior to a TWT.

Overall, longer is well worth it, do not underestimate time and distances. I haven't looked at these itineraries, but, Seward is a gem, so well worth including. I find Anchorage offers plenty as well. Especially with 3 people, just using a rental car, opens up a whole lot more- if of any interest. Otherwise, be certain, to take apart all tours, and know all the details of what you are looking at. Too many people don't. :)

Edited by Budget Queen

All this is. is HAL being a booking agent adding a flight.

Are you fixed on a mainland cruise tour? And you know details about Denali ? Problem with these cruise tours, and all the days- is you likely will be doing a lot independent. Why not consider that to begin with? Especially with 3 days there, the bargain of bargains- is Denali's buy 2 get 3 entries (IF continued next season) and the ability to get to Eielson- which is superior to a TWT.

You are completely right with them booking the flights.

No not really fixed. We have just heard how pretty everything is and wanting to take in as much as possible in 2 weeks. I like the 14 day cruise and how many places it goes (HUGE PLUS) but unsure about that long on a boat. My ADA might kick in... :)

What did you mean when you referred to TWT? I have never seen that before.

You are completely right with them booking the flights.

No not really fixed. We have just heard how pretty everything is and wanting to take in as much as possible in 2 weeks. I like the 14 day cruise and how many places it goes (HUGE PLUS) but unsure about that long on a boat. My ADA might kick in... :)

What did you mean when you referred to TWT? I have never seen that before.

Oh boy- you need to BACK UP and find out exactly what you are looking at with these various tours. With you not knowing what TWT is, is significant. Having "Denali" on your itinerary is NOT enough to understand. It isn't enough to just think, ok, "I'm here". You have to get INTO the park, in my opinion. No way do I advocate spending all that time and money getting there, then not getting into the park. The TWT goes to mile 53 of the 90+ miles (at most to mile 63) That is with a -tour bus. There are shuttle buses that have many advantages. With cruise tours, you are paying for the most costly option of the TWT. IF you are looking to be there for 3 days- I would suggest, you may want to consider going in twice. Every trip is different. Getting to Eielson, as I mentioned has many advantages. Take some time and find out about Denali and what YOU may be interested in there- or if you are NOT interested. Important to know, before you randomly look at cruise tours. http://www.nps.gov/dena http://www.reservedenali.com the last, has some very good concise information.

Edited by Budget Queen

Based upon my preferences if I were to choose between these 2 packages I would choose the 13 day Seattle to Seattle option. The reasons would be that you would get a taste of Fairbanks, you would not need to deal with customs at Vancouver airport, you flight cost would probably be less flying RT to and from Seattle.

With that said I am personally not a fan of the structured tours and in my opinion you could probably experience more of Alaska if you rent a car or rv and plan your own tour. However as tours go this one does look like a good choice with ample time to experience each area and I think the use of the train vs bus is better than on other tours.

Since you do have a significant amount of time in Denali I would encourage you to research the different types of buses you can take into the park and the other activities offered in the park. It looks like you only have 2 full days in the park and since the TWT is included you could perhaps do that one day then use to shuttle bus to go at least as far as Eilson the other day if desired. I don't think HAL will give you a refund on the TWT or I would recommend doing that and using the shuttle bus both days. There are also hiking trails in the park as well as a really neat visitor center and sled dog demo. Other activities are also available outside the park.

Based upon my preferences if I were to choose between these 2 packages I would choose the 13 day Seattle to Seattle option. The reasons would be that you would get a taste of Fairbanks, you would not need to deal with customs at Vancouver airport, you flight cost would probably be less flying RT to and from Seattle.

With that said I am personally not a fan of the structured tours and in my opinion you could probably experience more of Alaska if you rent a car or rv and plan your own tour. However as tours go this one does look like a good choice with ample time to experience each area and I think the use of the train vs bus is better than on other tours.

Since you do have a significant amount of time in Denali I would encourage you to research the different types of buses you can take into the park and the other activities offered in the park. It looks like you only have 2 full days in the park and since the TWT is included you could perhaps do that one day then use to shuttle bus to go at least as far as Eilson the other day if desired. I don't think HAL will give you a refund on the TWT or I would recommend doing that and using the shuttle bus both days. There are also hiking trails in the park as well as a really neat visitor center and sled dog demo. Other activities are also available outside the park.

As another person who is looking at these types of options, I wanted to say how much I appreciate your post.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and suggestions. Sorry, if i offended anyone not knowing that Tundra Wilderness was TWT. I have only seen it spelled out. :)

I appreciate each of you adding insight. I will say we have done a lot of research but ultimately nothing can compare to first hand knowledge from individuals who have either taken the exact same cruise or have been to similar ports.

We know that this trip is going to be a good chunk of change and want to take EVERYTHING in to consideration.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and suggestions. Sorry, if i offended anyone not knowing that Tundra Wilderness was TWT. I have only seen it spelled out. :)

I appreciate each of you adding insight. I will say we have done a lot of research but ultimately nothing can compare to first hand knowledge from individuals who have either taken the exact same cruise or have been to similar ports.

We know that this trip is going to be a good chunk of change and want to take EVERYTHING in to consideration.

Seems like these forums exist precisely for that reason, among others - in order to get the first-hand knowledge and opinions of people with experience. :) Good on you for gathering as much info from as many sources as possible. I'm in the midst of that for our first Alaska cruise as well, and your threads have been very useful to me - thank you for that!

Edited by krista4

there is no "offense". :)

I go by what is written, and it appeared this was unknown? As you know (since you HAVE looked into this further) it is a significant point to be very knowledgeable about any Denali touring. Overall, it is one of the most, area, where wrong assumptions are made with tour purchases. When you go there, please remember, the point at which, you are welcomed into the park at Savage River. AND all the people, who never get past there with not knowing about the park, and leaving their options to a cruise tour that has the NHT included. :) You'll see my point. :)

There are only 6 Alaska ports on the inside passage. A whole lot of first hand information available. :)

Enjoy your trip, and keep up the research, a great trip will come together for you, the more you know. :)

LOVE2LAUGH - first of all, I'm planning a similar experience next year, but doing it on my own. With your ages and with 3 it would be extremely easy for you to rent a car and do it yourself and a lot cheapert. As Budget Queen told me once about 8 years ago...."don't try to do everything, and overload yourself, you'll be back" been back twice since!!! I've arranged travel for 4, 6, 7 and 16! AND saved everyone a lot of money by doing it yourself. If Denali is on your list, fly into Fairbanks or Anchorage, find a B & B in Healy and make sure you take the regular park bus tundra tour. Don't waste time on the Natural History tour. From there you can go south to Anchorage, stopping in Talkeetna for a while. Get a hotel or B & B in Anchorage and explore the area, and if you really want to see glaciers, glaciers and more glaciers (and maybe marine & wild life) go south to Seward and do a couple of excursions before hopping on a ship in Seward. It is easy to drive in Alaska. There is like one highway, north and south! You can do it and you can tailor it to what you want. Again, you will fall in love with Alaska and because of your age, you will be back!! Try this site http://www.anchorage.net/ and http://www.seward.com/ Also, with your ages, look at other cruiselines. Princess and Celebrity do a great job. Holland is a little older crowd.

Edited by oceanlovinmama