Best Mexican Food in San Pedro..and on the 3 Port cities

2010_cruisers

Hi. Watched a Diners, Drce ins and Dibe and they recommended an ALL-American diner called..Gaffey Street Diner- 247 North Gaffey Street...but, we are curious if there is a real Mexican place out that way....also has anyone eber eaton at the Acapulco Mexican Restaurant Y Cantina.

We are also curious about the best places (Mexican or not) you have eaten Cabo, Mazatlan and PV?

Just let us know thanks.

Hi. Watched a Diners, Drce ins and Dibe and they recommended an ALL-American diner called..Gaffey Street Diner- 247 North Gaffey Street...but, we are curious if there is a real Mexican place out that way....also has anyone eber eaton at the Acapulco Mexican Restaurant Y Cantina.

We are also curious about the best places (Mexican or not) you have eaten Cabo, Mazatlan and PV?

Just let us know thanks.

Alcapulco is American-Mexican but is decent enough with a good view of the harbor. Food is the same at Green Onion with no view. I live in San Pedro and have to say our choice of Mexican food is fairly weak. My favorite place is Taxco which is up on Western Ave. Second would be Maria's on Pacific Ave and 22nd street. If you plan on staying close to the pier Alcapulco's, Green Onion and Jolly Burrito and Brite Spot are your choices. I'd say just go to Alcapulco's and enjoy the view.

Alcapulco is American-Mexican but is decent enough with a good view of the harbor. Food is the same at Green Onion with no view. I live in San Pedro and have to say our choice of Mexican food is fairly weak. My favorite place is Taxco which is up on Western Ave. Second would be Maria's on Pacific Ave and 22nd street. If you plan on staying close to the pier Alcapulco's, Green Onion and Jolly Burrito and Brite Spot are your choices. I'd say just go to Alcapulco's and enjoy the view.

Is Alcapulco's walking distance from the Double tree or do we need to catch a Taxi?

Is Alcapulco's walking distance from the Double tree or do we need to catch a Taxi?

All depends on your fitness level. It's about a mile or just less from the DT. If Mexican is what you are looking for than Maria's is closer to the DT and they deliver. I wouldn't walk it at night just because there are a lot of dark spots between the hotel and ports o call village where Alcapulco's is located.

The Double Tree has a shuttle (free) and will take you to Acapulco's. It is right on the water (close to the cruise ship port). The food is good and the view is wonderful.

We enjoy eating there when we go to LA.

Let me throw in my two cents here...

You mention "real Mexican food"...

Here's the problem..."real" Mexican food varies by region...Different parts of Mexico have very different regional cuisine (easiest way to describe it is to think about how much "Tex Mex" differs from California Mexican...and how much both differ from what you'd find in the Yucatan (Cancun, Cozumel, etc.)...

A lot of Americans are very accustommed to "Cal Mex"...largely because we Californians are much better at marketing our stuff...

But, what we eat is very foreign to people in most of Mexico...

For example, most of Mexico eats primarily corn tortillas whereas we eat, for the most part, flour tortillas...Why? Think about it...they don't grow wheat in most of Mexico...

California Mexican was largely brought here by immigrants from the Baja...back in the days when most Mexican immigrants to California came from just over the border--not from throughout Mexico and Latin America as they do today...So, a style of Mexican food developed here that was largely dependent on flour tortillas--enchiladas, burritos, etc., rolled in flower tortillas...mostly beef or chicken, sometimes pork with rice and beans...then add to that fish and shrimp tacos...SOFT tacos...a favorite from the fishing towns of the Baja...and Guacamole, of course...and Margaritas (the Margarita was "invented" in Ensenada)...

Now, personally, I like Acapulco...and the one in San Pedro has a great location...A lot of folks seem to love the Green Onion...but either will give you a good meal and a nice dining experience...

In the Mexican ports, my best advice is to eat in those places that cater to American tourists...That way you'll be sure to have FILTERED PURIFIED WATER...The local places may look great...and be well attended by locals...but their systems are adjusted to the local water...your's isn't...

NO no no to Acapulco. That is just a chain restaurant, and not a really good one at that. I don't know the area, so I can't make any recommendations, but I do know the Acapulco chain restaurant, and it's not very good.

Acapulco's is decent.....wouldn't be my first choice, or second, or tenth. But they usually have a pretty good happy hour Monday-Friday, and a decent Sunday Brunch that runs under $20. I wouldn't drive out of my way for Acapulco's, but if staying down the street, its a good choice for Mexican.

In Cabo we love to hit Cafe Canela along the marina for breakfast. Great food and great prices. We have been there twice and both times loved it. It is located about a half way around the marina, a couple restaurants past Captain Tony's.

In Mazatlan we enjoyed lunch caddy corner from the Shrimp Factory that was pictured above. Don't remember the name, but it was on the opposite corner from the Senor Frogs store. The six of us each had a meal and two beers and the bill came to $35. And we were stuffed.

NO no no to Acapulco. That is just a chain restaurant, and not a really good one at that. I don't know the area, so I can't make any recommendations, but I do know the Acapulco chain restaurant, and it's not very good.

I have to agree with you on this. It is adequate for those coming in but certainly not great food. For those familiar with it think Macayo's.

In Cabo try Las?Los Gardinas it requires a cab ride but the fresh fish tacos are superb.

Our Roll Call is meeting at the Acapulco. I have never been there, but I understand that it is a good place to meet and the views are good. We are hoping to get there early enough to see the sailaways from the ships leaving port the day before us and wave 'Bon Voyage' to them.:D I am not a foodie and actually like Macayo's, so I think I will be happy.:)

In Mazatlan I really loved Tony's on the Beach. The shrimp we had was real Mexican shrimp, does that count?;) My Mom had a real sizzling Mexican dish that she loved - served in a lava bowl and rolled in tortillas. That was yummy and the views were divine!

Imperial Platter (shrimp and lobster for two) at Tony's:

2166010060071903042S500x500Q85.jpg

Tony's on the Beach in Mazatlan:

2322404540071903042S500x500Q85.jpg

Tony's:

2135869040071903042S500x500Q85.jpg

I only wish I could remember the name of the restaurant our driver took us to in Puerto Vallarta, it's a standard stop since I noticed other private van drivers bringing people there as well. They made fresh guacamole and salsa table side, the chips were great, my daughter and I shared a bowl lunch, it had chicken, pork and veggies in it, kind of like a hot soup.

In Cabo we've gone to The Office twice, over on Medano Beach. Just a short water taxi ride. The food is great, but big and pricey. We can share an entree and have more than enough to eat. Great seafood and wonderful margaritas. Reservation recommended, we had to wait about 45 minutes last time we went.

I'd not call Acapulco or Green Onion great Mexican food restaurants, they are chain restaurants. We've been to Acapulco a couple times, it's OK. The only Green Onion I've been to was not in San Pedro and all I remember about it was I swore I'd never eat in one again.

Here's the web site for The Office: http://www.theofficeonthebeach.com/

Sunny AZ Girl - great pix.

Happy ks...you said...

"They made fresh guacamole and salsa table side"....omg, and the fresh salsa...go on....where was this - please.........and how does one get there, thanks - everyone...

BTW, if these 3 ports only offer views and good eats...thats not a bad vacation nes pais...?

Keep your suggesstions coming in..thanks...

I have to agree also. It's been a year since I was there, but it was nothing to write home about and IMO, overpriced. After eating there, I always wondered why the locals on these boards sent people there.

In Puerto vallarta "La Chatta" is very nice. Right on the Malecon, 2nd floor with view over the ocean and Malecon.

Or La Palapa, or Cuates y Cuetes - both right on Playa Los Muertes.

You need to take a citybus to Centro or Olas Altas (6.50 pesos p.p. per ride) or take one of the yellowcabs from the highway near the terminal for about pesos 60.- per ride. Make a rate before you get in.

The white cabs at the port charge more and per person.

Even for a chain Mexican restaurant Acapulco has never been a favorite of mine. I have not been to the one in San Pedro but I think it is mentioned because of the view, location and people often ask for a Mexican restaurant.

Jen in SoCal

I have to agree also. It's been a year since I was there, but it was nothing to write home about and IMO, overpriced. After eating there, I always wondered why the locals on these boards sent people there.

Sunny AZ Girl - great pix.

Happy ks...you said...

"They made fresh guacamole and salsa table side"....omg, and the fresh salsa...go on....where was this - please.........and how does one get there, thanks - everyone...

BTW, if these 3 ports only offer views and good eats...thats not a bad vacation nes pais...?

Keep your suggesstions coming in..thanks...

I'll ask my husband and kids if they remember the name of the restaurant.

Archived