Nervous about Southwest Passenger of Size rule

motorboatin427

So my hubby and I are flying Southwest in 3 weeks. He is larger and tall. He has flown Southwest before with no problem a few years ago but I am worried they will want him to purchase another seat. Honestly we don't really have extra $$ for it. I read the policy on the website and I figure if he can buckle and get the arm rest down, so what if he is in my space? I am going to want him close anyway as I am nervous to fly for the first time. As long as I am not bugging the person next to me. Anybody have any experiences with this?:eek:

Southwest actually has one of the clearest and fairest (IMO) policies on this. It sounds like you already know that you can purchase an extra seat...and if the flight isn't full they will issue a refund.

In your situation, if hubby has the window and you take up the center seat, you will be the "buffer" between hubby and the aisle passenger. If you give up some of your space for hubby, it won't matter to the 3rd passenger. That said, you may not be able to sit in an exit row if the cabin crew feels hubby cannot safely occupy that row.

In other words, I wouldn't be concerned if I've understood your post correctly.

Right, this is what I am thinking. I will be the "buffer" so to speak lol. I am just wanting to avoid embarrassment on his part. Hopefully since I am the one sitting next to him, there won't even be an issue. I have read about crew members not enforcing this rule and it causing problems and I have also heard of crews being rude and making a scene.

Once you take off, you can raise the armrest between you and your husband. I agree about putting him in a window seat and then taking the middle seat for yourself. Just try to make sure that you board early enough to be able to get a window and middle seat together. It may be worth it to purchase the Early-Bird boarding option. If it were me, I would purchase the EB soley for piece of mind to be able to be in the first group of so to board.

:) Have a great time.

My husband is a larger guy and I am average. He sits by the window and I sit in the middle and have never been asked to buy another seat. We love early bird check in , not just for the seat selection but you don't have worry about checking in 24 hrs before while on the boat!! It's well worth the money!!

Once you take off, you can raise the armrest between you and your husband. I agree about putting him in a window seat and then taking the middle seat for yourself. Just try to make sure that you board early enough to be able to get a window and middle seat together. It may be worth it to purchase the Early-Bird boarding option. If it were me, I would purchase the EB soley for piece of mind to be able to be in the first group of so to board.

:) Have a great time.

The, between seats, arm rest can up the entire time. It doesn't not need to be down at any time.

A trick I use when I fly SWA with one of my daughters, who is "a person of size" is, after she buckles her seatbelt, we put the armrest between us down, and I rest my forearm on it .... to let the flight attendant see that I have use of it. We do as others have said .... pay the extra for Early Bird check-in, so we can get aboard early enough to have my DD take the window seat, and I take the middle. Her "size" has never created a problem as I am the "buffer" between her and anyone who chooses to sit in the aisle seat.

Have a great flight and a great cruise!!

FWIW, I am definately a person of size, 6'-7" tall and 315lbs (down from 370:D) and am currently flying Southwest twice a week. I have never been approached about this issue, even before my weight loss. I always try to sit on the aisle so that I can lean out and away from the person in the center seat.

I will suggest that you try to stay away from the seats about 3/4 of the way back, I swear the seatbelts back there are shorter! LOL

FWIW, I am definately a person of size, 6'-7" tall and 315lbs (down from 370:D) and am currently flying Southwest twice a week. I have never been approached about this issue, even before my weight loss. I always try to sit on the aisle so that I can lean out and away from the person in the center seat.

I will suggest that you try to stay away from the seats about 3/4 of the way back, I swear the seatbelts back there are shorter! LOL

When an airline fixes a broken seatbelt, they will frequently just cut the webbing to fix. So, you are capable of finding seatbelts of varying lengths on any one plane. It's the luck of the draw...

When an airline fixes a broken seatbelt, they will frequently just cut the webbing to fix. So, you are capable of finding seatbelts of varying lengths on any one plane. It's the luck of the draw...

The general opinion is that each seat belt repairs takes 4 inches off the length of a seat belt. Wouldn't take too many repairs to make a seat belt child size.

Could be....but at least on the RDU-BNA runs I was taking a few months back, ALL of the aisle seats around the 3/4 way back must've been fixed:D

And apprently on the Continental Express (now I am showing my age) 19 passenger plane I used to fly between EYW and TPA must've had the seat belt in 1A fixed the other way. It was the longest belt I have ever seen. Could have easily fit three of me inside it! LOL

Archived