Picture-A-Week 2014 - Week 11

pierces

As I mentioned on another thread, I've recently purchased a Panasonic Lumix FZ200, to have as an alternative to my DSLR when I'm walking around all day on vacation. (My knees aren't what they used to be!) I'm still in the very early stages of trying it out, and despite the huge windstorm we were having last night (I should not have been outside), I couldn't resist seeing what the FZ200 would do with the not quite full moon. This is handheld, in about 25mph winds. (And for anyone interested: manual exposure, f/8, 1/125 sec., ISO 100.)

NotQuiteFullMoon_zps6f061dc9.jpg

(photo by turtles06)

As I mentioned on another thread, I've recently purchased a Panasonic Lumix FZ200, to have as an alternative to my DSLR when I'm walking around all day on vacation. (My knees aren't what they used to be!) I'm still in the very early stages of trying it out, and despite the huge windstorm we were having last night (I should not have been outside), I couldn't resist seeing what the FZ200 would do with the not quite full moon. This is handheld, in about 25mph winds. (And for anyone interested: manual exposure, f/8, 1/125 sec., ISO 100.)

(photo by turtles06)

I've been considering the FZ200. I saw your duck photos and now this. The FZ200 is now on my "To Buy" list. Great photos.

(photo by turtles06)

Great picture.

Laredo again...

I got a bonus at work and went first thing to the local camera store. I had it in my head that I was going to get a Nikon 50mm 1.8G, but I had not researched alternatives.

The guy at the camera store was befuddled when I asked specifically for that lens and then he said "what's your budget?". I said around $700 for a 50mm lens and a 30-110mm lens for the V1 (effective focal length 80-300). He said to try this other lens by Sigma. I loaded it on one of their demo d3200's and cranked the aperture down down down, f/1.4. I put the lens box on the counter and used the backdrop of all the demo cameras, and the bokeh was so beautiful, even in the shop in moderate light that I had to have it.

So, the stats on this image are:

Nikon D3200 Sigma 50mm 1.4 HSM EX (~75mm on the APS-C sensor), 1/125 at f/3.2

Laredo decided he wanted to play in the back yard so after he ran and rolled in the grass and played a little bit, he settled down, I got down to eye level with him and took one picture...

p792990629-4.jpg

(photo by turtles06)

That's interesting. I took this photo yesterday (Mar 14) with my FZ200 after reading Graham Houghton's instruction about the setting for taking a moon shot!

f/2.8, ISO-100, 1/1300 sec, 600 mm focal length.

P1540040_zps3a87340b.jpg

Edited by dileep

He's a pretty good boy, he does get in the trash from time to time, but what dog doesn't do that?

I still am blown away by what that Sigma lens can capture, that picture amazes me at how sharp the image is (focus point on the eye).

Laredo again...

I got a bonus at work and went first thing to the local camera store. I had it in my head that I was going to get a Nikon 50mm 1.8G, but I had not researched alternatives.

The guy at the camera store was befuddled when I asked specifically for that lens and then he said "what's your budget?". I said around $700 for a 50mm lens and a 30-110mm lens for the V1 (effective focal length 80-300). He said to try this other lens by Sigma. I loaded it on one of their demo d3200's and cranked the aperture down down down, f/1.4. I put the lens box on the counter and used the backdrop of all the demo cameras, and the bokeh was so beautiful, even in the shop in moderate light that I had to have it.

So, the stats on this image are:

Nikon D3200 Sigma 50mm 1.4 HSM EX (~75mm on the APS-C sensor), 1/125 at f/3.2

Laredo decided he wanted to play in the back yard so after he ran and rolled in the grass and played a little bit, he settled down, I got down to eye level with him and took one picture...

p792990629-4.jpg

He is beautiful.