TV hookup

Can we hook up our devices to the TV on quantum, using hdmi, or usb

I,d like to be able to play my music and videos on the tv from my tablet or hard drive media player

what type of tv is in the cabin, samsung?

Do I need to bring a remote to access the locked down tv functions, hopefully they are now in the 21st century and allow us to hook up

• 4 months later...
Can we hook up our devices to the TV on quantum, using hdmi, or usb

I,d like to be able to play my music and videos on the tv from my tablet or hard drive media player

what type of tv is in the cabin, samsung?

Do I need to bring a remote to access the locked down tv functions, hopefully they are now in the 21st century and allow us to hook up

Since you never got a direct answer to the question and I see you have since sailed Anthem, were the HDMI ports accessible on the stateroom TVs?

I will reply as just returned and the OP has left the conversation.

There are no visible or accessible ports to use on the TV. It is on a hinge to angle it out so the TV is visible from the couch, but the sockets are located on the hinge side and not reachable by hand or otherwise.

I will reply as just returned and the OP has left the conversation.

There are no visible or accessible ports to use on the TV. It is on a hinge to angle it out so the TV is visible from the couch, but the sockets are located on the hinge side and not reachable by hand or otherwise.

On the Quantum Maiden TA I tried to connect my tablet via HDMI (which required some gymnastic movements to access the rear). To no avail, I could get a picture up (using an ir remote on my mobile phone to select the HDMI input) but no sound (and hdmi should carry both).

Also tried a chromecast like dongle - but not one that requires access to the internet, one of the one's that creates it's own local wifi signal allowing your tablet to connect to that wifi zone and stream video locally from your android device. To no avail.

It's last November now so I just can't recall why I gave up but I remember being very disillusioned that I couldn't solve it.

Maybe they have relaxed things since. Will try again when I'm on Anthem in October!

Edited by podgeandrodge

Still does beg the question:

If you're going to sit in your cabin and watch TV, why are you paying thousands of dollars to do so when you can sit in the comfort of your home and do that for free?

I don't mean this to be an offensive or obnoxious comment.

I just think that it's one thing to put on the TV while you're getting ready and another to put on a movie or show that will keep you in front of the set for an hour or so.

The usb ports are in reach and I successfully watched tv shows I had downloaded to much usb drive. This was on Anthem.

Ahh. I concentrated on hooking up my tablet via hdmi and never thought to stick content on a usb key and use the usb ports.

Lesson learnt. Thanks kimprice.

If you're going to sit in your cabin and watch TV, why are you paying thousands of dollars to do so when you can sit in the comfort of your home and do that for free?

I just think that it's one thing to put on the TV while you're getting ready and another to put on a movie or show that will keep you in front of the set for an hour or so.

I found at the end of a night that it was quite relaxing to watch some tv shows sometimes. There may be a lot to do on Quantum/Anthem but not all of the time.

Ahh. I concentrated on hooking up my tablet via hdmi and never thought to stick content on a usb key and use the usb ports.

Lesson learnt. Thanks kimprice.

I found at the end of a night that it was quite relaxing to watch some tv shows sometimes. There may be a lot to do on Quantum/Anthem but not all of the time.

Makes sense. Sometimes, I guess you need to step away from it all.

Being on a cruise can be relaxing as long as you don't let over-schedule yourself.

Letting the schedule dictate your day-to-day can be draining.

• 2 months later...
The usb ports are in reach and I successfully watched tv shows I had downloaded to much usb drive. This was on Anthem.

What file format were your TV shows in? .mp4? .mkv? .avi?

RCCL must be using high end "smart" Samsung TV's with built in player software, because standard "dumb" TV's can't do this.

I wonder if anyone has tried using a portable laptop hard drive, like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Portable-External-Storage-STDR2000100/dp/B00FRHTSK4

We're going on Harmony of the Seas fall 2016, so I'm gathering intel on HDMI capabilities on this future ship.

Edited by GuavaTechAngels

We usually play movies or music videos while we're getting ready. We also like to have something playing when we're dining on our balconies. Lastly, we like to put on a movie before bed.

So...I'm on Anthem now and can't figure out how to pull the TV out to access the ports...or even find a hinge to turn towards the sofa.

Help!

Pull the TV from the side furthest away from the couch. So if window, bed then couch then door. Face TV and pull (quite hard) from the left hand side.

If window, couch then bed, pull from the right.

Pull the TV from the side furthest away from the couch. So if window, bed then couch then door. Face TV and pull (quite hard) from the left hand side.

If window, couch then bed, pull from the right.

Had just figured it out as you said SausPud. Bit of a leapof faith because the TV mounting was creaking on the wall. Turned out I had to lift the TV by a half inch to unhook and pull out.

So, anyway, I can confirm that avi, and mp4 play fine from USB port. The USB port is not facing you after you pull the TV out, it's facing away at the other end of the TV. A mirror or your phone camera in selfie mode will help locate.

On insertion of USB stick the TV picks it up automatically but if you go back to ordinary TV you'll need a universal remote or smartphone remote app to select USB as source.

Edited by podgeandrodge

Had just figured it out as you said SausPud. Bit of a leapof faith because the TV mounting was creaking on the wall. Turned out I had to lift the TV by a half inch to unhook and pull out.

So, anyway, I can confirm that avi, and mp4 play fine from USB port. The USB port is not facing you after you pull the TV out, it's facing away at the other end of the TV. A mirror or your phone camera in selfie mode will help locate.

On insertion of USB stick the TV picks it up automatically but if you go back to ordinary TV you'll need a universal remote or smartphone remote app to select USB as source.

Thanks for the intel! Have you tried using a portable laptop hard drive?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the intel! Have you tried using a portable laptop hard drive?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

No sorry. Just a 64gig stick. But once it's not a powered drive it should be no different. Not sure what you mean by laptop drive but given you'll get more hours than you could watch on a stick I'd go with that.

• 4 weeks later...
No sorry. Just a 64gig stick. But once it's not a powered drive it should be no different. Not sure what you mean by laptop drive but given you'll get more hours than you could watch on a stick I'd go with that.

I mean one of these laptop portable hard drives:

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Backup-Portable-External-STDR2000103/dp/B00FRHTTJE/

That's USB powered so should be fine IF the television is outputting enough power from USB port to power it (some drives require more than standard USB output).

As mentioned previously, you could get more content than you'll have time to watch on a 64gb stick so I'd do that to be sure.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for this. I had posted a new thread about this for the Anthem and I see you've answered this already. I was thinking Chromecast or a media player to HDMI but now I see that USB stick is the way to go.

Another reason for needing this is for parents who have young children who go to bed at 8pm. Gives the parent that drew the short straw (to stay in the room that night while the other goes out to play) something to do. :)

Just wondering what formats worked? I don't think that question was answered.

.mkv?

.mp4?

.avi?

Thanks for this. I had posted a new thread about this for the Anthem and I see you've answered this already. I was thinking Chromecast or a media player to HDMI but now I see that USB stick is the way to go.

Another reason for needing this is for parents who have young children who go to bed at 8pm. Gives the parent that drew the short straw (to stay in the room that night while the other goes out to play) something to do. :)

Just wondering what formats worked? I don't think that question was answered.

.mkv?

.mp4?

.avi?

Confirmed avi and mp4 in post 16 :)

I suspect mkv no problem either !

• 1 month later...

Just off Anthem.

Interior cabin with the hinge on the left side of the TV (not sure if different cabins have the hinge on different sides.

At any rate the HDMI ports are accessible and functional. I was able to hook-up my cellphone (Samsung Note 3) via HDMI and watch TV from home while at sea using the onboard wifi.

You will need some type of remote to change the input as the one in the cabin will not.

• 6 months later...
If you have a latest samsung phone or tablet, you can use the universal remote app (PEEL) on it and control the tv that way. No extra baggage needed.

Don't you have to download the data for the model? I guess the first thing you'd need to do when you get on board is to setup your PEEL app so you can download the data for the model of the TV?

We have a tiny 11" Dell travel laptop with 2TB of HDD space. On this laptop, we have:

• Movies
  • TV Shows
  • Documentaries
  • Music Videos

Since, we already travel with this laptop, it's always nice to be able to connect our media to a larger screen and louder, clearer-sounding speakers.

We always sleep to the TV on, it's our "white noise". Although, when on cruises, we leave our balcony door open and the ocean creates a multi-layered white noise.

When we get up, I have several different music video playlists that I cue up depending on our mood. It's a great way to start the day. If we're having a meal on our balcony, I'll cue up an appropriate playlist.

Believe it or not, music helps enrich and maintain memories. It simply adds to the emotional experience. Years later, when we hear a song that was often played during a past vacation, it'll bring back memories of that vacation.

As cheesy or corny as that sounds, it's true in my experience.

Most hotel rooms do come with those ipod alarm clock radios but:

• 2 out of 3 people use Android now
  • Those speakers aren't as clear as the TV's speakers
  • You can't operate it by remote. I have a bluetooth remote that lets me control the laptop wirelessly.

Edited by GuavaTechAngels