Bermuda Crystal Caves

HBCuiser

Does anyone know the approximate time it takes to go through the Crystal Caves in Bermuda? We want to do it on our own, not through an excursion. Thinking about doing this the last day on the Breakaway, but want to make sure we have enough time. The ship leaves at 3pm. Thanks for any help.:)

Does anyone know the approximate time it takes to go through the Crystal Caves in Bermuda? We want to do it on our own, not through an excursion. Thinking about doing this the last day on the Breakaway, but want to make sure we have enough time. The ship leaves at 3pm. Thanks for any help.:)

The problem is not how long it takes to go through the caves on the last day because you can always do only one cave; but what the transportation time from the Dockyard to the caves and return is.

A taxi can do the trip in about 55 minutes at a cost of about $63 for 4 passengers. This would be the most convenient way of going.

You could take the ferry to Hamilton first. The fare would be $4.50 p/p token for the 20 minute ride. The ferry leaves the Dockyard once per hour on the :30, and returns to the Dockyard once per hour on the :00. This will tie you to the ferry schedule

From Hamilton to the caves, you could take a taxi or a bus. A route #10 or #11 bus will get you to the caves in about 25 minutes plus waiting time plus walking time from the ferry terminal to the bus terminal The fare would be $4.50 p/p token. The bus depart about every 15 minutes. Taxi fare would be about $27 for 4 passengers.

The last ferry you could take and still make departure leaves Hamilton at 2PM which I think would be cutting it too close.

I believe NCL is starting their own ferry service for their passengers, but I not sure to the start date or the schedule.

All rates are for 2016 and travel times are from Google.

SBtS

Are the caves appropriate for a 9 month old? Stroller accessible or expect to carry the whole way? We'll either have an umbrella stroller or a baby carrier.

The caves are not stroller accessible. You would have to carry the child down about 88 cement steps that are damp. You would be carrying the child for your entire visit.

SBtS

The caves are not stroller accessible. You would have to carry the child down about 88 cement steps that are damp. You would be carrying the child for your entire visit.

SBtS

And even worse they would be carrying the child back up the 80 plus steep steps. They don't want to be doing either down or up caring a baby.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

We did both caves on our own. Used the great public transportation system. Each cave was about half and hour but there was a wait for each one. Then a wait for the bus. I think we also did the aquarium on our way back to the ship but that and lunch took most of the day.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but SailBad, where did you hear NCL is getting their own ferry? I'm intrigued!

The NCL ferries will run between the Dockyard and St. George's. They are scheduled to begin service in July. Here is a recent article from the Royal Gazette.

http://www.royalgazette.com/local-business/article/20161222/evans-wins-bid-to-run-ncl-ferries

Sorry to hijack the thread, but SailBad, where did you hear NCL is getting their own ferry? I'm intrigued!

It's part of the package deal that will have NCLH cruise lines Oceania and Regent Seven Seas offering a fairly substantial number of cruises that will dock in Hamilton or St. George for the next few years.