New Years Eve (and birthday celebration)

newbie2013

Hi all, we are sailing on the New Year cruise from Sydney on Solstice, leaving 28 Dec. I was keen to know where past New Year cruisers have found the best venue to be- especially for the New Year countdown!

Also, we have a friend cruising with us who will be having his 50th birthday on board. Is there a suggested way to let the ship know beforehand, and what did they usually do if a guest has a "big event" to celebrate whilst on board. Many thanks!

We've done 2 New Years cruises & the best party was on the pool deck. They will usually bring a cake to the table to celebrate a birthday & some of the staff will sing happy birthday. Let the maître'd know when the birthday is. You can also have it indicated on your booking but still remind them once on board. You can also purchase a cake which is bigger and looked amazing.

We have had great birthday meals in both the MDR and specialities. In addition to speaking with the M'D worth reminding your wait staff the day before.

Make sure you thoroughly surprise your friend by tackily decorating his door after he goes to bed the night before!

You can also arrange champaign etc at an additional cost.

If you have a favourite bar you frequent let the servers know the day before and then when you go for a quiet drink he will probably get another rendition of Happy Birthday!

Sorry no New Year experience, have a wonderful cruise!

There will be plenty of notice on board about where and when any big NYE celebrations will be.

As as been suggested, let the head of the dining room know about the date for the cake. But then on the "day of" make sure you make contact with them again, reminding, perhaps sometime in the morning at breakfast or shortly after. And AGAIN when you get into the dining room, make sure you mention it again. You need to keep reminding them. We've seen it slip through the cracks. they have hundreds of special occasions on each cruise so it's not hard to imagine that your particular special day isn't their top priority.

Have a great cruise!

When we celebrated New Year on Solstice (Sydney to NZ), the main party was in the Centrum area, with the ice carving of the numerals for the NY on the top of the stairs together with the countdown clock. I'll attach a photo if I can find it ;).

image.jpg1_zpsa7rehsas.jpg

image.jpg2_zpscojdv92d.jpg

image.jpg4_zpsrjctbmb8.jpg

Edited by villauk

Thanks everyone! That is all great advice. And Curt- sadly we won't be in Sydney Harbour for NYE (I agree that would be fantastic!). The day will be in Noumea, and midnight will be between Noumea and Mystery Island (a nice tropical NYE). I can well imagine that the tenders to Mystery Island on New Years Day might not be so full first thing in morning if people are up partying late! Really looking forward to this one and must look some time at a Christmas one too (hooray for no festive cooking and cleaning up).

Cheers! Calum