OBC through HAL credit card points redemption?

olya1972

I went to redeem reward points accumulated on my HAL credit card. I wanted to redeem the points for OBC to be used at our discretion. There was no option to do so. I had to choose from either $50 Beverage card, $100 Shore Excursion credit, $25 Pinnacle Grill dinner and such. That's what I did. For anyone who has experience with this matter, what will actually appear on our on board account and how can we use it? For example, I redeemed points for two $100 Shore excursions credits. Does it mean that these $200 can only be used towards the purchase of shore excursion or these $ can be spent on any ship's on board services, such as drinks, paid restaurants, etc? ( On NCL and RCCL credit cards point redemption allowed us to use the points for OBC in $50 increments. This is our first experience with HAL.) Thank You.

The first couple of times we redeemed for "shore excursions" the money was posted as credit on our next credit card bill, well before the cruise. The most recent time it showed up on our on-board account as a "Gift Order" with no specified use.

The $200.00 will just show up as a credit on your account.

This.

I had the same concern a few months ago; there is no option for just generic OBC.

It does work, tho, no matter what you choose, it will show up as a statement credit.

Off topic, and I know you did not ask, but I have now phased out all my cruise line specific credit cards onto one AAA Visa, through BoA.

It gives 3% for all travel (cruise, air, hotels, rental cars, etc) , 2 % for gas and groceries, and 1% for all else. No fee, but you probably have to be an AAA member (which I am anyway).