Wi Fi

the big roxy

If you have achieved Seven Seas Society Silver Level before 30 Sep 2014 you are still entitled to unlimited free internet access, after that date Gold is required. Just noticed that the associated "note" that used to be included on the WiFi page on the RSSC site has been removed or moved to a location that is not logical (well at least not logical to me), not nice Regent!

This is a popular topic, please refer to the thread below:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2148043&highlight=silver

• 4 weeks later...

I couldnt agree more, I was frustrated and after cruising Regent 3 times, I have just booked POA. If Regent are grandfarthering in Silver and Wi Fi they should make it clear, losing benefits made me question the loyalty factor and I decided to try elsewhere.

IMO, Regent had to change the Wi-Fi policy. They had the most lenient of any luxury cruise line and there were simply too many people "Silver and above". There was no room in the computer rooms and, even with constant upgrades, the speed of the internet made a snail look like a speed racer.

After reading the relatively new policy (copy and posted below), I was more than a bit unhappy. Firstly, upper suites being referred to as "named suites". Really? This is what is used to describe Oceania's Owner's, Vista and Oceania suites - not Regent suites. It has taken 7 years for most Regent customers to believe that Regent and Oceania will not merge (despite the introduction of the not-well-thought-out "concierge program that "almost" copies Oceania's policy). Now they copy Oceania's policy yet again.

To finish my rant, IMO, loyalty is more important than "concierge level benefits". Yes -- there needs to be some benefits in order to sell the mid-level suites but I do not believe that included internet should be one of them. On the other hand, I do not feel that 21 days displays enough loyalty to receive included internet (for the reasons described above). Perhaps Silver level should receive a limited amount of included internet (for one person only).

Below is most of the internet policy.

FREE Unlimited WiFi for Named Suites

Book a Regent, Master, Grand, Seven Seas, Horizon View, Mariner, Navigator or Voyager Suite and receive FREE Unlimited WiFi.

FREE WiFi for Concierge Suites & Higher

Book a Concierge-level Suite or higher and receive FREE WiFi of up to 500 minutes (or equivalent data amount).

The number of FREE Internet minutes received will be based on the length of the voyage, and includes one login per suite that may be used on one device at a time. The login may be shared across a variety of devices.

•1-7 nights: 200 minutes

•8-10 nights: 300 minutes

•11-15 nights: 400 minutes

•16+ nights: 500 minutes

You may also supplement your FREE WiFi minutes with an unlimited package for a nominal fee of only $14.99 per day.

WiFi Internet Packages

We offer several convenient Internet packages, whether you need to send a quick email back home or require a full day of connectivity.

•A La Carte – For the sparse Internet user, this package is available at a per minute rate of $0.99, plus a one-time activation fee of $3.95

•200 Minutes – This package offers 200 anytime minutes (or equivalent data amount) for a total cost of $160.00 ($0.80 per minute), plus a one-time activation fee of $3.95

•Unlimited – Consider this package if you require heavy Internet use, which has a daily rate of $29.99 with no activation fee

Additional Information

Please be advised that bandwidth-heavy applications such as Skype, YouTube, and MagicJack are not available. One login is provided per suite or purchased package, which may be used on one device at a time. The login may be used across a variety of devices. Service and speed will vary depending on the location of the ship and time of day.

Edited by Travelcat2

Please be advised that bandwidth-heavy applications such as Skype, YouTube, and MagicJack are not available. [/color]

I've been told the same story on Cunard, Regent and 2 weeks ago, on Oceania. While I've never tried "MagicJack", I have been able to Skype off and on while at sea.

Additional Information

Please be advised that bandwidth-heavy applications such as Skype, YouTube, and MagicJack are not available. One login is provided per suite or purchased package, which may be used on one device at a time. The login may be used across a variety of devices. Service and speed will vary depending on the location of the ship and time of day.[/color]

Hope only one person wants to use the internet at a time.

Hope only one person wants to use the internet at a time.

Yes, our butler told us on embarkation day that just one of us could be on. Thankfully I knew differently and corrected him that we are grandfathered. If I hadn't known this I would have been upset. Almost to gold, but not quite there yet.

Immediately thought of Oceania when I saw the payment structure and price per day etc.

Yes, our butler told us on embarkation day that just one of us could be on. Thankfully I knew differently and corrected him that we are grandfathered. If I hadn't known this I would have been upset. Almost to gold, but not quite there yet.

Immediately thought of Oceania when I saw the payment structure and price per day etc.

Glad that you spoke up. Hopefully only your paperwork was wrong and that you were in the Regent system correctly. Our boarding paperwork always indicates that we receive "free" internet because of the suite we stay in. Fortunately we know better and realize that our internet is based on loyalty. It would be nice if Regent corrected their invoices and boarding paperwork to indicate which level of "free" internet you are receiving. since there is a big difference.

It is a shame by the OP didn't check with Regent or their TA before assuming that they were not grandfathered. This should not happen to any of Regent's loyal guests.

Edited by Travelcat2

Jackie, I and others have often referred to the "upper" suites on Regent as the "Named Suites".

Agree that this hierarchical free internet system is crazy complicated. Glad I'm Gold, although since I'm probably finished with Regent, it doesn't really matter. But if I was Silver and told I could only use one device at a time, I'd be ticked.

I am now somewhat confused, firstly about the expression grandfathered and then on free internet with Regent. We are silver since April 2014 and will be gold on our next cruise in May. Will we qualify for free internet or is there a new system? Would hate to drop that perk!

I am now somewhat confused, firstly about the expression grandfathered and then on free internet with Regent. We are silver since April 2014 and will be gold on our next cruise in May. Will we qualify for free internet or is there a new system? Would hate to drop that perk!

When someone is "grandfathered" it means that an old rule continues to apply to some existing situations while a new rule will apply to all future cases. So, people, likes yourselves, that were silver as of 11/2014 are grandfathered under the old plan and therefore qualify for included internet.

Your status is already in the system but it won't hurt to check with your TA or Regent to double check. If the system does not already show that you have included internet, Regent can fix it for you.

Hope that helps. :)

Edited by Travelcat2

Your status is already in the system but it won't hurt to check with your TA or Regent to double check.

Better yet, just read your Regent invoice, page 3. Regent has fixed the invoices to clearly state the included or promotional internet benefits. It is listed under the "Promotional Amenities" section.

If you are a Seven Seas Society member, that is listed and your benefit for internet clearly shown. If you are concierge level and have a different benefit, that would be shown. If you booked under some marketing program, your internet promotion would be shown.

When I say "Regent invoice", I mean the official invoices generated by Regent....not a billing invoice that your TA might use as an alternate.

What is on the Regent invoice is "what is in the system", and would be the same as you will encounter onboard.

Better yet, just read your Regent invoice, page 3. Regent has fixed the invoices to clearly state the included or promotional internet benefits. It is listed under the "Promotional Amenities" section.

If you are a Seven Seas Society member, that is listed and your benefit for internet clearly shown. If you are concierge level and have a different benefit, that would be shown. If you booked under some marketing program, your internet promotion would be shown.

When I say "Regent invoice", I mean the official invoices generated by Regent....not a billing invoice that your TA might use as an alternate.

What is on the Regent invoice is "what is in the system", and would be the same as you will encounter onboard.

Perfect solution! Just checked page 3 and found "Complimentary Internet - Platinum Society Member". I tend to ignore that page since it also has the itinerary that I don't need (I immediately transfer this information to my personal "itinerary" right after I book a cruise.) That itinerary contains absolutely everything about my trip from flights (with seat numbers), airplane phone number, frequent flyer information, hotel name, address, phone, email, etc. I'm mentioning the personal itinerary as I find it easier to have everyone in a one or two page document (with a font large enough to see:-)

Thank you for your helpful post!

The problem is that it does not mention the grandfathered terms of the Silver level. Our Regent Invoice states "Promotional Amenities SILVER SOCIETY MEMBER BENEFITS". It does not list the specific benefits. If I have grandfathered benefits, it is not reflected and will result in a battle onboard. An email sent to Regent has been ignored as of this date. Still time before the cruise, but would not expect to have to put up with this kind of BS.

I need to give Regent a pat on the back and give them back the star I had removed. Received the following from Regent in response to inquiry concerning "grandfathered" tier level benefits:

Based on your Silver Seven Seas Society Status achieved prior to October 1, 2014 – you will receive FREE UNLIMITED INTERNET as part of your Silver benefits. Our onboard staff reviews all passengers status prior to embarkation and the Unlimited internet will be offered to you.

It settles my concerns and would appear to resolve the question.