P&O vs Celebrity X

Mynki

Normally we sail Celebrity, however we have been invited by family on a P&O cruise (to be decided upon) in 2016. I have a few questions that I'd like to pose to those who have actually sailed on both lines. These are :-

Does P&O have different classes of balcony comparable to Concierge and Aqua Class etc?

Does P&O have a suite experience that compares to Celebrity?

If so, are there restaurants specific to those, such as Blu (AQ) and Luminae (suite guests)?

How does the overall range of alcohol compare between the two lines?

How do the loyalty programmes compare in terms of benefits?

How does the food and general restaurant service compare between both lines?

Thanks in advance.

Normally we sail Celebrity, however we have been invited by family on a P&O cruise (to be decided upon) in 2016. I have a few questions that I'd like to pose to those who have actually sailed on both lines. These are :-

Does P&O have different classes of balcony comparable to Concierge and Aqua Class etc? They have superior deluxe cabins but am not sure of they come with lots of extra perks as on Concierge and Aqua

Does P&O have a suite experience that compares to Celebrity? Can't say sadly

If so, are there restaurants specific to those, such as Blu (AQ) and Luminae (suite guests)? Don't think so, you need to go to Cunard for this one

How does the overall range of alcohol compare between the two lines? We are more than happy and find that the cost of alcohol on P&O is far, far cheaper and there is no service charge. You can get a decent bottle of wine for £15 (honest) and lots of different types of cocktails and spirits

How do the loyalty programmes compare in terms of benefits? We prefer P&O as it gives us 5% off what we spend. On Celebrity we hardly made use of any of the benefits apart from the odd free coffee!

How does the food and general restaurant service compare between both lines? We love both - they are both different. P&O caters more for the British market and we prefer the portion sizes and personally I prefer the fact that the food doesn't seem as salty and I don't get as much water retention. The buffet area on Celebrity is far better. We have tried the select dining restaurants on both and there are some good on both and some we would not return to. E.g. we love Qsine but did not like the Lawn Club. Each P&O ship is different though and it is often down to individual taste. Select dining venues on P&O are far cheaper than on Celebrity, but we have never regretted paying Celebrity prices ;-)

Thanks in advance.

Which ship are you going on out of interest?

Another thing to add - you will find P&O more formal when it comes to the formal nights ;-)

Does P&O have different classes of balcony comparable to Concierge and Aqua class.

SOME SHIPS HAVE SUPERIOR DELUXE BALCONIES WHICH ARE LARGER ROOMS WITH A SEATING AREA AND BATHS WITH SHOWERS OVER. (AZURA, VENTURA AND BRITANNIA DEFINATELY HAVE THEM). NO SEPERATE RESTAURANT PERKS SUCH AS BLU FOR AQUA GUESTS.

NEVER DONE A SUITE ON EITHER BUT P&O HAVE SUITES, SOME WITH BUTLERS. NOT SURE THEY HAVE AS MANY PERKS AS X DO THOUGH.

If so, are there restaurants specific to those, such as Blu (AQ) and Luminae (suite guests)?

THERE IS A SPECIALITY RESTAURANT ALLOCATED FOR BREAKFAST. NO LUMINAE EQUIVALENT FOR OTHER MEALS THOUGH. AS ABOVE NO BLU EQUIVALENT.

X HAVE A MUCH WIDER RANGE OF ALCOHOLIC DRINKS THAN P&O. MAYBE SIMILAR ON WINES BUT SPIRITS AND COCKTAILS ARE MORE EXTENSIVE (AND BETTER PREPARED IMO) ON X BUT PRICES ARE HIGHER ON X. X HAVE DRINKS PACKAGES AS PROMOTIONS OR TO BUY BUT P&O DO NOT HAVE AN 'ALL INCL' TYPE PACKAGE YET. YOU CAN BUY WINE PACKAGES TO GET DISCOUNTS ON BOTTLES OF WINE.

P&O OFFER DISCOUNTS OF ON BOARD SPEND DEPENDANT ON THE TIER HOWEVER ANY OBC ISED UP BEFORE ANY DISCOUNT IS APPLIED. FROM WHAT I KNOW OF CELEBRITYS HIGHER TIERS X HAVE MUCH BETTER PERKS PLUS THEY HAVE THE ONE FREE CABIN GRADE PERK.

OK, VERY SUBJECTIVE SO AGAIN ITS MY OPINION. AS YOU WILL SEE FROM MY SIGNATURE WEVE BEEN ON 5 P&O CRUISES AND 4 CELEBRITY. I WOULD RATE THE MDR FOOD TO BE PRETTY SIMILAR ALTHOUGH FAR FEWER VEGETABLES SERVED WITH MEALS ON X. I THINK CELEBRITYS BUFFETS ARE DEFINATELY SUPERIOR. MORE CHOICE AND BETTER INGREDIENTS. SERVICE IS MUCH BETTER ON X. HAD GOOD SERVICE ON P&O BUT IT HAS BEEN SPORADIC WHEREAS ON X WE HAVE HAD NOTHING BUT 10/10 SERVICE.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Does P&O have different classes of balcony comparable to Concierge and Aqua Class etc?

NO. WITH P&O YOU GET PRIORITY BOARDING AND A BUTLER. THAT'S IT. X IS MUCH BETTER IN THIS RESPECT.

NO, BUT I BELIEVE SOME SHIPS HAVE AN ALTERNATE BREAKFAST DESTINATION. WE'VE ONLY SAILED ON ARCADIA (4 TIMES, ECLIPSE ONCE SO FAR)

ONE OF THE SUITE PERKS IS THE PREMIUM BEVERAGE PACKAGE SO I'M AFRAID I DIDNT REALLY NOTICE INDIVIDUAL COSTS. ALL DRINKS IN MICHAEL'S CLUB ARE FREE REGARDLESS OF PACKAGE.

WE THOUGHT THE FOOD ON X WAS BETTER AND THE BUFFET OFFERINGS WERE FAR SUPERIOR, HOWEVER, I WOUKD NOTE THAT IN MY OPINION THE ARRANGEMENT FIR GETTING TOAST AT BREAKFAST IS MUCH BETTER ON ARCADIA AND GETTING A SEAT ON ARCADIA IS MUCH EASIER. WE SPENT MANY MORNINGS TRAIPSING ROUND TRYING TO FIND SOMEWHERE TO SIT ON ECLIPSE, WHEREAS ON ARCADIA THERE WAS NEVER A PROBLEM.

Thanks in advance.

I've answered the questions I thought might be helpful. The questions I haven't answered are because I don't feel I am adequately qualified to provide an informative reply. Hope it helps. [emoji4]

I've answered the questions I thought might be helpful. The questions I haven't answered are because I don't feel I am adequately qualified to provide an informative reply. Hope it helps. [emoji4]

Just noticed your comment about an premium beverage package re drinks in a suite. Is that right on P&O as it could make a big difference for us. Cheers :)

Not on P&O. No suite perks really except priority boarding and butler. On Celebrity you are treated amazingly from start to finish - priority boarding, Michael's Club access, free wifi, premium drinks package, unlimited speciality dining, mini bar re-stocked daily, 2 x 1ltr bottles of spirits in your suite, butler. It is more expensive on X but the perks make it worth it.

Thanks for the feedback all. Fasmily members are under the impression that X is very expensive and that the entertainment is poor compared to P&O.

However entertainment is not important to us as we're foodies who are mostly interested in the itinerary.

Shopping around with US travel agents as opposed to those in the UK suggests the costs are not as different as they suggest. Value wise Celebrity seems to bury P&O when comparing ship tonnage per pax, staff to pax ratio and size of rooms etc. Free beverage packages are very common with the US travel agents too. I'm not sure I can convince them that they's enjoy X though as they're very much P&O cherrleaders.

Does anyone ever book P&O through US travel agents? Or are they one of the few lines that now forbid UK pax doing this?