Flight arriving at midnight

buchman67

I am traveling solo and the flight that I would like arrives into Barcelona at 11:55 pm

Do you think I should be concerned with safety getting to the hotel? I would like to stay at the Continental Hotel.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I have no idea where the continental hotel is but if it's at the airport is there a shuttle?

Otherwise....

1. Have a prearranged private driver meeting you with your name on a board and you should reconfirm this before you leave home about 24 hours at least. I'm not so sure a female alone at midnight getting into a limo is all that wise though. Reputable private limo service or not IMHO it's too risky.

2. Change your flight if you are concerned about arriving at midnight. It would never be my choice solo or not and you haven't bought tux yet so seriously rethink this flight

3. If you do take this flight Make sure you prepay or hold your room via credit card because you are arriving after midnight and it's a new date It also makes sense to confirm your very late arrival with the hotel so dates aren't confused and room isn't given away and/or ressie cancelled. This stuff does happen btw.

4. Since anything is possible I think you should pack light and wear comfortable clothing and have a travel blanket or 2 and pillow with you in case you wind up sitting in the airport until sunrise. Granted that's a worst case scenario

5. Honestly ......change your flight to arrive during daylight hours when life is in progress at a normal pace

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by luvtheships

Thanks...the hotel is in Las Ramblas.

I am booking a one way flight on Norwegian Air and they are by far way less expensive then others. I have searched extensively.

I will make sure the hotel is aware of my expected arrival time and look at the cost of a private car.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Last summer we sailed from Barcelona. We arrived late at Barcelona Airport (00:45) but had booked the Barcelona Airport Hotel which provided a free airport pick-up (just phone on arrival). They also offered free transport from the hotel to the cruise terminal in the morning. It all worked very well for us but if you use their free cruise transfer be aware that it does pick up from several hotels! We were still aboard the Equinox by 12:30.

However if you wish to stay in downtown Barcelona then there are plenty of airport taxis available even late at night. Don't know late night rates but we were €45 for our post-cruise transfer.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your cruise and Happy New Year!

Hi buchman67

Barcelona is a safe city, one of the safest big cities in Europe (as in 'personal safety'), yet it's a city, so basic precautions are in order of course: no dark alleys at night, safety in numbers, don't trust strangers, etc.... but you already know this, right? :))

If you "arrive at 11:55pm" you're not likely to be outside the airport before 12:30 at the earliest (assuming you're carrying luggage!) so it's going to be pretty close to catch the last Aerobus to the centre of the city (to Plaça Catalunya): http://www.aerobusbcn.com/en/timetable The stop is in front of the terminal. Should you catch it, it's the best option and it's only 6€. You need to get off at the end of the line and then it's a 400 yards walk to the hotel: http://*******/2iQwTRC and the area is safe.

If you don't catch the last Aerobus, also in front of the terminal, you can catch a taxi... it's going to cost you around 35-40€. There are taxis 24/7...

Enjoy!

**edit**.... substitute the **** for bit(dot)ly --- this forum doesn't seem to allow this shortener but otherwise I'd have to include a very long Google Maps URL!!!! The link shows you the distance on foot from the bus stop to your hotel.

Edited by EnricM

Hi buchman67

Barcelona is a safe city, one of the safest big cities in Europe (as in 'personal safety'), yet it's a city, so basic precautions are in order of course: no dark alleys at night, safety in numbers, don't trust strangers, etc.... but you already know this, right? :))

If you "arrive at 11:55pm" you're not likely to be outside the airport before 12:30 at the earliest (assuming you're carrying luggage!) so it's going to be pretty close to catch the last Aerobus to the centre of the city (to Plaça Catalunya): http://www.aerobusbcn.com/en/timetable The stop is in front of the terminal. Should you catch it, it's the best option and it's only 6€. You need to get off at the end of the line and then it's a 400 yards walk to the hotel: http://*******/2iQwTRC and the area is safe.

If you don't catch the last Aerobus, also in front of the terminal, you can catch a taxi... it's going to cost you around 35-40€. There are taxis 24/7...

Enjoy!

**edit**.... substitute the **** for bit(dot)ly --- this forum doesn't seem to allow this shortener but otherwise I'd have to include a very long Google Maps URL!!!! The link shows you the distance on foot from the bus stop to your hotel.

Thank you so much! Great information on the bus and taxis. I really appreciate it.

Having lived in major cities in the US I do understand the basic safety rules. I suppose I just needed to hear it from others.

Last summer we sailed from Barcelona. We arrived late at Barcelona Airport (00:45) but had booked the Barcelona Airport Hotel which provided a free airport pick-up (just phone on arrival). They also offered free transport from the hotel to the cruise terminal in the morning. It all worked very well for us but if you use their free cruise transfer be aware that it does pick up from several hotels! We were still aboard the Equinox by 12:30.

However if you wish to stay in downtown Barcelona then there are plenty of airport taxis available even late at night. Don't know late night rates but we were €45 for our post-cruise transfer.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your cruise and Happy New Year!

Thanks! I did think about an airport hotel but I decided to come in a few days early to see the city.

Glad to hear your story and know there is still action happening. Nothing worse then arriving to an airport and having it dead! Been there before and not fun.

Midnight is early in Spain :) where folks will often go out to dinner at 11pm! As far as getting to the Continental, at that time of night we would recommend just taking a taxi from the airport directly to your hotel. There are some lower cost transportation options, but at that time of night, and given that you are traveling solo, a taxi just makes the most sense. Barcelona taxis do charge slightly higher rates at night (the meters have different codes they input) but there are times when it just makes sense to pay a little extra for peace of mind. Once you are in your hotel, you would still be able to go out on the streets (even at that hour) and be far from alone.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Midnight is early in Spain :) where folks will often go out to dinner at 11pm! As far as getting to the Continental, at that time of night we would recommend just taking a taxi from the airport directly to your hotel. There are some lower cost transportation options, but at that time of night, and given that you are traveling solo, a taxi just makes the most sense. Barcelona taxis do charge slightly higher rates at night (the meters have different codes they input) but there are times when it just makes sense to pay a little extra for peace of mind. Once you are in your hotel, you would still be able to go out on the streets (even at that hour) and be far from alone.

Hank

Thanks Hank!

Just to follow up I booked my flights differently, going via an airport I hate, JFK but oh well. I am now arriving at 9 am. Woo hoo now I get two full days to sight see. Thank you to everyone for your tips, suggestions and thoughts! 😉

• 2 weeks later...

I am glad I found this information. I am looking at a flight arriving around 930pm (traveling solo) and was trying to figure out transportation to my hotel. I am booked near Placa Catalunya. I've been to Barcelona before and have taken the Aerobus, which I hope will work this time too. Glad to hear taxis are safe late at night.

Thanks everyone for the info.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just to follow up I booked my flights differently, going via an airport I hate, JFK but oh well. I am now arriving at 9 am. Woo hoo now I get two full days to sight see. Thank you to everyone for your tips, suggestions and thoughts! 😉

Good to know. I was going to post that I would be wary of the Continental. It shares a building with a 2* and a hostel (I still can't believe it is a 3*). Some unsavory types hang out there. The clerk at the Front Desk told me and my 2 friends to be sure that no one followed us up the stairs to the hotel.