Affordable shampoo for salt water?

You may want to reconsider the conditioner as well. Perhaps take along a penetrating treatment for mid-week.

I'm not familiar with any store brands, I haven't used any in years. I'm a former hairstylist (husband still is) and we buy all professional products at a to-the-trade outlet. I do know that Matrix puts out a good product and I think the retail price is not bad, I know sometimes they have a 2-for-1 sale at places like JC Penney.

What you might have your daughter do is to use a leave in conditioner before going into the water. Even better is to wet your hair, apply conditioner and leave it, combing it through and putting hiar into a clip or scrunchie. Even wetting down her hair with plaon water, saturating it, will help the hair not to absorb as much salt water/chlorine as dry hair. When she gets out of the water have her rinse her hair as soon as possible with clean water, get the salt and chlorine out before it can dry into her hair.

OK, all that and a really great haircut before she leaves on vacation, to get rid of any dry, dead ends.

I have to agree with Kathy. she was in the business. I read on these boards, a few years back, to reverse the damage from water and wind, put on conditioner and sit in the hot tub, and you would get the same affect as a deep conditioning treatment. I don't know if this is true, I've never tried it. I wouldn't want to get any conditioner in the hot tub.

Try ULTA.com for products.

Pat.

Does anyone know of an affordable shampoo that is good for the stiff hair that you get from too much salt water? By the end our last cruise, my DD hair looked and felt like straw.

I live on the beach and regular shampoo gets salt water out of my hair. As KS said, coat your hair with conditioner before you get in the water. I saturate my hair with conditioner while it is dry and then pull it back in a scrunchie.

Also, you must condition after shampooing. It isn't just the salt water but the sun.

I use this:

PHYTO PLAGE Protective Sun Veil 3.3 fl oz (100 ml

300.jpg

Package Details:

Product received may temporarily differ from image shown due to packaging update.)

Hair & Sun

Strong Protection with Sunflower Extract

This oil-free styling and protective veil forms an invisible screen that protects the hair from the damaging drying effects of the sun, salt and chlorine. Provides a U.V. filter.

Sun, wind, salt, chlorine...all these elements are harsh on your hair. Heat has a drying effect (the hair's moisture content is reduced, it loses its softness); wind dries out the hair and increases static electricity; UV rays weaken the hair and fad color. Salt and chlorine attack the hair.

All these factors leave your hair damaged. The cuticle opens up, the hair breaks, and split ends appear. Result: your hair is dry, dull and impossible to style.

This strong protection veil shields the hair against the drying effects of the sun, wind, salt and chlorine. Sunflower extract - a photo protective agent with anti-free-radical action - provides a protective filter for the hair fiber. White Lotus extract maintains moisture levels in the hair. Sweet illipe butter, with emollient and hydrating properties, nourishes the hair and restores its suppleness.

This oil-free formula forms an invisible, protective screen. Restores shine. Sculpting effect. Contains a UV filter.

Made in E.C. - Bezons - France

Directions:

Spray on dry or wet hair before before and during sun exposure. Always reapply after swimming.

I have also used these for shampoo conditioner:

http://www.redken.com/products/displayBrand.cfm?b=277

i am in the water a lot... both salt water and clhorinated water.

I use a good strong conditioner all the time, but when i want to get rid of the salt build up, i "wash" my hair in a can of my hubbys beer.

It really does work but i do not do it very often.

make sure you deep condtion afterwards though!

I'm in the pool every day, and in salt water virtually every weekend. I used to use John Frieda Beach Blonde, but they discontinued that :( . I just bought Neutrogena Triple Moisture shampoo, conditioner and leave-in conditioner. They seem to work well at getting the residue out. The leave-in conditioner has UV protection.

I have Redken hair sunscreen and hate it --- it may protect your hair and scalp from sunburn, but it makes your hair really stiff. If I'm in and out of the water all day I will put it on my part, knowing full well that I can't go anywhere until I wash my hair.

If you're really on a budget, try Suave Clarifying Shampoo. It does a good job of removing chlorine residue, without any build up.

...and I don't use anything special - just a good conditioner. Nothing different than I use every other day. And my hair is probably the best thing I have going for me. :D

This is one of the best conditioners I have ever used - try it out. It should do just fine.

http://www.bathandbodyworks.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2205211&cp=2073253.2077115&parentPage=family

• 8 years later...
If you use conditioner after shampooing, that should help. Salt water isn't hard to rinse out of hair!

Oh CB, why on earth would you pull up an eight year old thread and repeat what several others already posted? However, you'll not come back to answer. (Sigh)