Footwear for Alaska

I do not own hiking books and am stumped as to whether I will really need them. I know I will want to do at least one catamaran venture and perhaps some of the wildlife boat viewing excursions. I will also want to have a good looksee at the port towns and shopping. The Nikes I intend to take are not waterproof. We leave in a couple of days so I really need to make a decision quickly as to whether I need to go buy shoes! I also wear an 11.5 so I cannot easily purchase shoes on the fly once we get there. I wouldn't mind having a pair of Ugg Adirondacks and those would be the shoes I would purchase if necessary.

Thanks in advance for advice!

Queenie

I do not own hiking books and am stumped as to whether I will really need them. I know I will want to do at least one catamaran venture and perhaps some of the wildlife boat viewing excursions. I will also want to have a good looksee at the port towns and shopping. The Nikes I intend to take are not waterproof. We leave in a couple of days so I really need to make a decision quickly as to whether I need to go buy shoes! I also wear an 11.5 so I cannot easily purchase shoes on the fly once we get there. I wouldn't mind having a pair of Ugg Adirondacks and those would be the shoes I would purchase if necessary.

Thanks in advance for advice!

Queenie

I've been to Alaska twice and never wore anything other than my everyday sneakers. Unless you are going fly fishing you won't need anything else other than your sneaks. IIRC when we landed on the glaciers we were given some booties to go over our footwear.

I've been to Alaska twice and never wore anything other than my everyday sneakers. Unless you are going fly fishing you won't need anything else other than your sneaks. IIRC when we landed on the glaciers we were given some booties to go over our footwear.

Excellent. Thanks so much. :D

I will second Cruisr. Unless there is some specialized wet event or serious back country hiking regular sneaks will be fine. Unless it is Winter........I worked up there through two winters. :eek:

I did take hiking boots and I am glad I did. Some of the tours we did were hikes, others involved walking along dirt paths. I felt that the boots provided a warm, waterproof and secure platform for the experience.