Civitavecchia Liquor Store

nevertolate

It shouldn't be a problem. Most supermarkets will have at least a couple of different brands of limoncello to choose from. There is a large Conad supermarket on the outskirts of Civitavecchia, and their website (http://www.conad.it/conad/home/puntivendita/dettaglio.html?idPdv=2024) gives their hours on Sunday as 0900 - 2030. If you're coming in by car, you could ask the driver to stop there briefly.

If you're coming by train and walking around town, some of the smaller supermarkets near the port will probably also be open on Sunday, although they may be closed for a few hours in the middle of the day.

I would wait and buy it in the airport as you leave, why drag it around on your vacation.

For that matter, you can buy a pretty wide variety of limoncellos at any liquor store in the States for about the same price. You might want to take note of the brands sold at home so you are sure to bring back something they can't readily get at home.

I would wait and buy it in the airport as you leave, why drag it around on your vacation.

For that matter, you can buy a pretty wide variety of limoncellos at any liquor store in the States for about the same price. You might want to take note of the brands sold at home so you are sure to bring back something they can't readily get at home.

this.

If I remember correctly, there are some limoncellos at the Duty Free at FCO that come in decorative bottles. I'd get one of those for your friend as a treat. Limoncello is nicely steeped lemons in vodka, then strained and the infused vodka sweetened with simple syrup. Yummy, but a pretty basic alcohol. I've had a few (I've got one in my freezer right now) and, honestly I've not remember one being better over another one.

If I remember correctly, there are some limoncellos at the Duty Free at FCO that come in decorative bottles. I'd get one of those for your friend as a treat. Limoncello is nicely steeped lemons in vodka, then strained and the infused vodka sweetened with simple syrup. Yummy, but a pretty basic alcohol. I've had a few (I've got one in my freezer right now) and, honestly I've not remember one being better over another one.

They are noticeably better when consumed on a terrace in Sorrento overlooking the sea at sunset.

Just sayin'.

Yes, all of our other senses come into play along with taste so sipping it anywhere in Italy it's going to taste better.

The first time I tried limoncello was on Capri at one of the places trying to sell it. The first one I tried tasted awful to me so I assumed for years that I just didn't like it. Years later at a little bar in Perdifumo I tried it again and, wow, what a difference! There is a wide range of flavors among basic limoncellos so you just have to try until you find one that works for you. (Tough assignment, I know.)

Like everything else, there are good and bad grade of limoncello. Some are downright nasty industrialy-made stuff while others are better crafted.

It' all the same in theory, whole lemons soaked in ethanol (it'd be most likely an alcohol distilled from grape juice/wine, not vodka which can be made of many thing such as potatoes, wheat, other grains and any carbohydrate) with sugar added.

Something that claims to be from a particular region or has a provenance (such as Sorrento) may be better than the cheapest no-name.

For those that wish to try their hand at the homemade variety:

Homemade Limoncello

Rinds of 6-7 unwaxed lemons (no whites) - use a potato peeler

1/2 liter of pure alcohol (or flavorless vodka)

1 liter of water

500 gr. sugar

Let the lemon rinds soak in alcohol for 10-12 days in a covered bowl or jar.

Filter the lemon rinds.

Make a simple syrup with the sugar & water (warming the water on the stove & incorporating all the sugar). Wait for the sugar water to cool.

Combine the simple syrup with the alcohol & mix.

Bottle & place in the freezer.

Serve cold!