Sorry...i have to ask a dress code question

I can never figure why people here try to convince others to ignore the cruise line's request that you not wear shorts in the dining room. If a poster cares enough about dressing appropriately to ask the question, why tell him to under-dress? I have to believe that anyone who actually asks the question about what SHOULD he wear, does NOT want to show up in clothing too casual for the situation.

True, if he does show up in inappropriately casual clothes, they will probably NOT refuse to let him enter the dining room. Probably, but not for certain. It does happen from time to time. Depends on how strictly they are enforcing the rules on that ship, or that itinerary. If I'm wrong and the OP really doesn't care about how appropriately he is dressed for dinner, then he should go ahead and listen to the "wear shorts, no matter what" supporters. But in that case, why ask?

JMO having sailed the Mediterranean from Rome many times, I think you will find beach/Caribbean resort clothing a little too informal.
I definitely agree with both of these posts. It is hard to keep up with changes, but I think no shorts at dinner is a rule (enforcement varies), while formal wear is a suggestion (meaning no jacket or tie is perfectly acceptable; but do consider wearing your nicer pants and shirt). If you wander around a city in Europe in shorts you might as well wear a sign saying "American" (okay, maybe German); I prefer to blend in a little better. You are virtually assured of not getting into the Vatican and many churches in shorts. IMO most Europeans spend a lot more money on clothes than I do, and generally are sharp dressers even when casual.

Thom

I definitely agree with both of these posts. It is hard to keep up with changes, but I think no shorts at dinner is a rule (enforcement varies), while formal wear is a suggestion (meaning no jacket or tie is perfectly acceptable; but do consider wearing your nicer pants and shirt). If you wander around a city in Europe in shorts you might as well wear a sign saying "American" (okay, maybe German); I prefer to blend in a little better. You are virtually assured of not getting into the Vatican and many churches in shorts. IMO most Europeans spend a lot more money on clothes than I do, and generally are sharp dressers even when casual.

Thom

Definitely good advice regarding certain places of worship (not all), very often shoulders and knees need to be covered.

However, as a Brit who has been to many large European cities, shorts are definitely worn by Europeans (may be you frequent posher places!). Or did you mean for evening dinner?

I can usually spot an American by their smiley friendly faces and their cameras :D.

I can never figure why people here try to convince others to ignore the cruise line's request that you not wear shorts in the dining room. If a poster cares enough about dressing appropriately to ask the question, why tell him to under-dress?

I figured out the answer to that quite a while back. The ones who always jump in recommending that others openly ignore the clearly stated dress codes are mostly charter members of the "I'm going to do whatever I feel like and I couldn't care less about what the rules are, they don't apply to me" brigade. They figure the more recruits they enlist, the harder & less likely for the cruise line to enforce the rules.

I definitely agree with both of these posts. It is hard to keep up with changes, but I think no shorts at dinner is a rule (enforcement varies), while formal wear is a suggestion (meaning no jacket or tie is perfectly acceptable; but do consider wearing your nicer pants and shirt).

Yep, absolutely right. Many want to purposely obfuscate the difference between the formal wear SUGGESTIONS and the no shorts RULE. Again - same motivation as above.

I'm just off the Allure, literally sitting in the FLL airport with my day seven Compass. It says: "Casual. Please note that bare feet, short pants, caps and tank tops are not recommended in the Dining Rooms or any of our Specialty Restaurants."

I stressed my family out, making sure everyone had pants, shoes, etc., for the MDR casual nights. The first night, we skipped the mdr and did the Windjammer because we missed our dining time waiting for sail away. That night, we were by the entrance to the mdr and my mom noticed many men and women entering with shorts.

I think one of my biggest regrets about the cruise is that we stressed too much about the dress "code". I did not see a sign with "rules" about shorts outside the dining room and the wording on the Compass is "not suggested". Maybe the Allure is different. On the final night I and everyone else in my party wore shorts and didn't feel out of place.

I think one of my biggest regrets about the cruise is that we stressed too much about the dress "code". I did not see a sign with "rules" about shorts outside the dining room and the wording on the Compass is "not suggested". Maybe the Allure is different. On the final night I and everyone else in my party wore shorts and didn't feel out of place.

Makes sense; Caribbean vacation in July.

I'm just off the Allure, literally sitting in the FLL airport with my day seven Compass. It says: "Casual. Please note that bare feet, short pants, caps and tank tops are not recommended in the Dining Rooms or any of our Specialty Restaurants."

I think one of my biggest regrets about the cruise is that we stressed too much about the dress "code". I did not see a sign with "rules" about shorts outside the dining room and the wording on the Compass is "not suggested". Maybe the Allure is different.

My 12 cruise compasses from our med. cruise says not permitted. Europe is different.

This has been mentioned in previous threads, with scans of quite a few different (recent) Compasses. It appears Oasis/Allure ARE different, with their Compasses reading "suggested" and Compasses from all other ships which were posted reading "shorts not permitted" in the MDR at dinner (even in the Caribbean in July.)

The first night, we skipped the mdr and did the Windjammer because we missed our dining time waiting for sail away. That night, we were by the entrance to the mdr and my mom noticed many men and women entering with shorts. .

On my cruise last year, my luggage did not arrive until very late -- when it was time for dinner (6:30) I had no bags so had to wear what I put on that morning. Wasn't happy about showing up to the MDR in capris, but it wasn't by choice. So could be some folks just weren't able to change before dinner if they had an early reserved time.

Thank you all for your insightful replies. I am bringing three pairs of slacks and a sports jacket which I will wear for dinner.

I think that is an excellent idea. I have found in life that "suggested" means that is the very much preferred thing. As in, my wife says I "suggest" you take me to dinner this evening, I don't sit back and wonder if I can just ignore that suggestion, I know in reality it means that is very much the preferred thing to do. I do realize there are many "I don't care what is preferred, I will do what I want to do", but they thankfully are in the minority.

RCI makes suggestions about MDR attire, but they won't turn the OP away based on shorts vs slacks.
Most times you won't BUT was recently on Grandeur and saw a gentleman being turned away from the MDR, for wearing shorts.

We are sailing in a couple of weeks out of Rome for the 7 day Liberty of the Seas Western Caribbean cruise. Since we are flying into Rome 4 days prior I don't want to have to pack and lug around a sports jacket, tie, etc...Questions:

1. Can I wear dress shorts (pressed etc.. not cargo casual) and a golf polo or dress polo without feeling out of place in the MDR on any given night but for formal? How about dress shorts and a Tommy Bahama style shirt that does not tuck in?

2. Is a sports jacket and tie necessary for formal night?

Thanks very much!!

I'm always in favor of no shorts in the MDR. If you don't want to carry a sport coat and tie traveling, rent a tuxedo on the ship for formal nights.

Actually, the not shorts rule is just that - a rule, not a suggestion. Depending on how well the dining room staff is doing their job, he may or may not be turned away.

I have YET to see them not allow someone in to eat due to shorts vs slacks.

A jacket is not necessary for formal night.

Do most men wear jackets?

We have a Med cruise coming up and my husband was just asking if he should pack it.....so strange. I remember him packing a tux, now a jacket isn't even required. It's going to be so nice to be dragging around less luggage :)

With each cruise, I see fewer and fewer jackets (and ties) on men. Never more than a handful of tuxes. This includes both Europe and the Caribbean.

I don't think this is because people are boors who just enjoy flouting the rules. It reflects a huge change in acceptable dress in workplaces and public places in general. Gone are the days when men had to wear suits and ties in the office, and women had to wear hose with skirts/dresses. I even see people dressed very informally and in bright colors at funerals. A cruise ship dining room may be the only place where people are told they have to wear this type of clothing any more. Seems very odd.

Add to that the shrinking amount airlines allow for luggage, and you can see why people are not willing to haul around bulky jackets and dresses. (And don't tell me if I can afford to cruise I can afford to pay for extra luggage. I'll decide how I spend my money.)

Add to that the shrinking amount airlines allow for luggage, and you can see why people are not willing to haul around bulky jackets and dresses. (And don't tell me if I can afford to cruise I can afford to pay for extra luggage. I'll decide how I spend my money.)

I loathe paying for luggage on a plane, but sometimes it isn't about the money. We are spending 3 days in Italy prior to boarding the Serenade. I don't relish the thought of a lot of luggage to handle on a train.

I agree with everything you said btw.