Kindle v iPad mini

allaboardsharon

I've got a kindle fire (not Hd) but I'm thinking of buying an iPad mini. How do people feel about using a kindle or an iPad on a cruise. I know I can get the kindle app for iPad and I can also take pics with the iPad but does anyone else have any comments? Thanks xx

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I haven't used a mini, but did take a regular iPad on my last two cruises, and a Kindle prior to that. Much preferred the iPad as it allowed me to take pics, download books from my public library, and go on email and the net when free wifi was accessible in ports or airports. Will be interested in the feedback you get as I am thinking about taking a mini next time - easier to stash in my purse.

I took my mini on my last cruise and it was nice to be ble to play games and read while lounging. But I agree with the last poster the glare was kind of annoying. But I will still use my mini on my next cruise!

Its one of these different tools for different jobs issue. For reading in direct sunlight, on a beach, etc. nothing beats a plain ordinary Kindle with its amazing e-Ink system. The Kindle works perfectly in the brightest light. So when we travel DW and I both take basic Kindle Touches (with about 150 books on them) and also an iPad to be used for getting e-mails, browsing the web, etc.

Hank

if you main purpose is reading get a Kindle Paperwhite. A Kindle Fire or iPad or most any other tablet is worthless for trying to read outside. if you want a tablet for everything else or light reading Target has the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 (7") for $179 or Amazon for $188. I would go Amazon no tax and no ship. Unless you are already bitten the Apple having a single product will just cause you pain.

I have the old Kindle 2 with the e-ink screen for most of my reading. Easy to read in full sun. May get a Paperwhite for the backlight as prices are dropping it seems. I have a Kindle Fire (WiFi) to use for magazines, email, etc. Bring it when traveling instead of laptop.

I have the old Kindle 2 with the e-ink screen for most of my reading. Easy to read in full sun. May get a Paperwhite for the backlight as prices are dropping it seems. I have a Kindle Fire (WiFi) to use for magazines, email, etc. Bring it when traveling instead of laptop.

I have bought half a dozen Kindles. Why so many? Because this Christmas I gave three Paperwhites to friends as gifts. It is one terrific product, far superior to the old Kindles. Because of the backlight it can be read anywhere, including in bed without turning the lights on.

Today I tried out a friend's Kindle Fire. Sharper than Paperwhite, I thought, which matters if you look at pictures. Also, I liked the fact that chapter headings and a few other design features were in color, while the text was black. But I thought Fire was too heavy for reading, while Paperwhite is about perfect.

I have an iPad2 but always travel with my McBookPro. Because it gives me options that even iPad doesn't offer. But for books I carry my library in Peperwhite.

In the end, up to you.

I take both my Kindle (Paperwhite) and iPad (full size) on vacations. I use the Kindle to read at pool, beach, etc and keep the iPad for movies and games during travel days.

In addition to the sun glare issues mentioned by others, I would also not feel comfortable leaving the iPad on chairs when going into pool / ocean...or on table at WJ.

I used to just use my Kindle. I'd take a netbook or laptop with me for my other stuff. Well, this last April, I was trying to decide about upgrading from my 5 year old Kindle to a Fire. Then, I started looking at a Kindle Fire vs an iPad Mini. I ended up choosing the Mini. I can do WiFi if I want, and I can buy a SIM card with time on it and so the 3G/4G cellular thing if I don't want to hunt for a WiFi spot. I took it to Italy with me and it was literally life changing for me! I could do live directions when walking AND driving (just like a Garmin), see something and take a instant photo without digging out the DLSR, use an instant translator, look at all my photos that I DID take with my DSLR, do my emails, have access to my iTunes library, keep up with my few Facebook friends AND BROWSE CRUISE CRITIC… And, I still could read with the Kindle App. With the Fire, I couldn't get the extra connectivity that I really wanted and those additional programs to make my trip easier..

Kindle Fires and iPad minis serve many of the same basic functions. There is no need to replace one with the other unless you are unhappy with your current device.

They are both small, less powerful (but plenty powerful enough) tablets that run on proprietary systems and have their own positives and negatives.

They both run apps (many of the same apps or ones with the same functions) and are great for email, surfing, small projects/documents, and can be used as readers.

As pointed out above... if you want something to read on deck or at the beach... forget both the Kindle Fire and the iPad Mini and buy a simple Kindle e-reader. You can get one from $69-$119 depending on if you get the e-ink or paperwhite versions. I have the e-ink el cheapo and it works ABSOLUTELY PERFECTLY in bright sun. I don't like to read in the dark, so the paperwhite isn't needed for me. If you want to read in the dark, buy the paperwhite.

You can buy a certified refurb one for even cheaper and still get the same warranty.

If you want a tablet... stick with your Fire until you are sure which features are most important to you.