Taking food through airport security

We are seeking help on what food item can be brought through security at the airport. We see many suggestions but need someone who has recently traveled to help with what is going on today. We will be going out of Miami and would like to bring some snacks, etc. we saw the empty water bottle idea and will do that but not real sure about food items such as a sandwich, cookies etc. Thanks.

bringing food into any australian port and if not declared can bring a fine of over $300 and you would have to get past the sniffer dogs....is it worth it....i suppose US ports would have the same law

We are seeking help on what food item can be brought through security at the airport. We see many suggestions but need someone who has recently traveled to help with what is going on today. We will be going out of Miami and would like to bring some snacks, etc. we saw the empty water bottle idea and will do that but not real sure about food items such as a sandwich, cookies etc. Thanks.

We have had no problem on numerous trips bringing declared factory sealed packs of chocolate,chips,biscuits etc through customs usually in our checked luggage.

We have had no problem on numerous trips bringing declared factory sealed packs of chocolate,chips,biscuits etc through customs usually in our checked luggage.

Packaged snacks are usually ok but still have to be declared. We find the best way is to actually write on the customs declaration exactly what food you have with you, that way if its all okay they will let you sail through quickly.

Personally I would bring enough snacks to consume on the plane and discard what is left to avoid any possible hold up at the airport if travelling down under. The last thing you need after a long haul flight are customs hassles. Anything in the way of food items you may need after leaving the airport can be purchased in Australia.

If you do have any food left over either leave it on the plane or discard it once you get off. It can be discarded into special quarantine bins you will come across as you head toward customs. As said previously if you wish to bring in any type of food you must tick yes on the immigration form you are given on the plane. Even if your not sure tick yes, if you can put it in your mouth and eat it you declare it.

As a regular "importer" of food stuffs in my prrsonal luggage to australia it doesnt matter if it is on a permitted list it still must be declared and shown to the customs officers. Any prepackaged food that can be bought off the shelf of a supermarket (ie not fresh - like a sandwich) is usually fine. Emphasis on the usually.

BUT I suspect the question relates the going out of a country with food for consumption on the plane. Security dont care what it is so long as it is not a liquid or gel.

Australia has very strict quarantine laws. Anything you wish to bring in must be declared on your immigration card. You will not be allowed opened packets of foodstuff, sandwiches, fruit etc. Any food you bring in must be in its original factory sealed packet.

But why do you need to bring food into Australia? We have everything you will need.

Hugh

Right now you can take food on the flight to Australia, but as has been said, you should eat it or throw it away before you land. I can't think of anything I'd need that would justify the time and hassle of the extra customs "food check".

BTW, if you're flying Qantas, they'll feed you very often :). We were offered food every 45 minutes or so all through our 14 hour flight!

P.S. Remember, Australia has Tim-Tams :D for snacking!

My kids have dietary restrictions that are just too hard for airlines to handle, so we bring food on all the time when we travel between the US and Australia.

They will confiscate drinks, liquids, etc (including applesauce containers yogurts, baby food depending on the agent that checks your bags), so obviously don't take those. Solid foods like sandwiches, fruit, granola bars, etc are all fine to take on board, but we usually only take what we expect them to eat on the flight and bin the rest before customs. If there are a couple of still-wrapped muesli bars or chocolate bars or something you can take them through customs but as others said you must declare anything you can eat.

I find it's a good idea even if you don't have dietary issues, sometimes those long haul flights have odd eating times. If you fall asleep when they're serving dinner at midnight leaving the US, it's a long time till breakfast and it feels even longer if you're hungry! Some airlines have snack areas where you can grab a pack of chips or something when you want it, some will give out a snack box mid flight, but none of it is as convenient as having something at your seat that you can eat when you want it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Customs deceleration forms are tricky to answer!

"Do You Have any animal products or items/goods made from Animals" lol everyone should tick yes just for their shoes lol but nobody ticks yes for leather goods lol.

No wonder so many non english speaking travellers have trouble filling out the customs declaration correctly when english speaking people cant always get it right!

I always laugh at the way border security chastises foreigners for not fully understanding the declaration card! I would like to see them understand a foreign language questionnaire usually filled out after a long cramped flight in a dimly lit area with cabin pressure dry eyes.

Customs deceleration forms are tricky to answer!

"Do You Have any animal products or items/goods made from Animals" lol everyone should tick yes just for their shoes lol but nobody ticks yes for leather goods lol.

No wonder so many non english speaking travellers have trouble filling out the customs declaration correctly when english speaking people cant always get it right!

I always laugh at the way border security chastises foreigners for not fully understanding the declaration card! I would like to see them understand a foreign language questionnaire usually filled out after a long cramped flight in a dimly lit area with cabin pressure dry eyes.

But you must realise the arrival forms are printed in about a million different languages to cater for the minority

Right now you can take food on the flight to Australia, but as has been said, you should eat it or throw it away before you land. I can't think of anything I'd need that would justify the time and hassle of the extra customs "food check".

BTW, if you're flying Qantas, they'll feed you very often :). We were offered food every 45 minutes or so all through our 14 hour flight!

P.S. Remember, Australia has Tim-Tams :D for snacking!

The Declaration forms have changed recently and it is no longer necessary to declare candies, chocolates or cookies.

BUT do not think of trying to bring any meat, fish or dairy products in. There are really cute dogs at the luggage carousel trained to sniff them out. In all likelihood however, anything like that which you might have brought from Miami will only be fit for the bin by the time you arrive in Australia. There are plenty of well-marked trash cans available as you get into the terminal. Plenty of people use them. It's a very long trip. Good Luck!

The Declaration forms have changed recently and it is no longer necessary to declare candies, chocolates or cookies.

BUT do not think of trying to bring any meat, fish or dairy products in. There are really cute dogs at the luggage carousel trained to sniff them out. In all likelihood however, anything like that which you might have brought from Miami will only be fit for the bin by the time you arrive in Australia. There are plenty of well-marked trash cans available as you get into the terminal. Plenty of people use them. It's a very long trip. Good Luck!

A word from someone who travels regularly through Australian airports. If you have food and drugs (including meds) of any kind declare them. Food is anything that goes into your mouth. In most instances the quarantine guys will come up to you whilst your baggage is waiting for to arrive on the carousel and will clear you for any food you may have, and thus avoid any hassles. the Aussie AQIS are very good in this regard. On your way the customs guys will ask you what drugs you have and in many cases will ask are the drugs meds and if the answer is yes will send you on your way. Time taken minimal as you move along the way. Undeclared stuff could add a significant time to your stay at the airport whilst your bags are searched. If you end up with search they are very thorough, so its not worth the hassle when one can avoid it

If you are talking about security at a US airport, they don't care about solid food stuff, but no liquids and things that must be in a container to hold their shape.

The Australians and New Zealanders here have explained what you can't bring into their country. And yes, it is true, Australia has excellent chocolate, hot chocolate cafes in Sydney (anywhere else?), licorice, ginger candy and wine. :-) I am sure there is more, but those were my favorites.

Edited by Floridiana

But you must realise the arrival forms are printed in about a million different languages to cater for the minority

I think you missed my point:) If the english version isnt crystal clear how can you expect a translated version to be clear:)

A word from someone who travels regularly through Australian airports. If you have food and drugs (including meds) of any kind declare them. Food is anything that goes into your mouth. In most instances the quarantine guys will come up to you whilst your baggage is waiting for to arrive on the carousel and will clear you for any food you may have, and thus avoid any hassles. the Aussie AQIS are very good in this regard. On your way the customs guys will ask you what drugs you have and in many cases will ask are the drugs meds and if the answer is yes will send you on your way. Time taken minimal as you move along the way. Undeclared stuff could add a significant time to your stay at the airport whilst your bags are searched. If you end up with search they are very thorough, so its not worth the hassle when one can avoid it

I agree with you we declare everything we are unsure of. When you declare you are asked what you have, we usually have it at the ready and most of the time it isnt prohibited but was sort of included in the declaration form wording.

Any food I dispose of on the plane and in Australia put in the quarantine bins before immigration/customs

I spent many years being held up at Perth customs having everything searched even the innersoles taken out of my shoes for no reason other than I had the same name as a person of interest.

When arriving in USA I dispose of anything i dont need including confectionery snacks and over the counter pain meds if I have needed them (headache tablets )

So many countries have just a Red or Green customs exit point but Australia is a bit more strict and many overseas visitors are not used to this more thorough system

I don't think I made myself as clear as I should have. Since last year, there is no longer a box to tick on the quarantine forms for bringing in confectionery items or biscuits cookies. The form has become more particular about the TYPE of foodstuffs that you might have. If you insist on declaring food items that are in no way problematic, you will be wasting your time and that of the customs officers.

But definitely read the whole form carefully and answer all the questions truthfully. Bottom line: any food other than chocolate candy or biscuits and any drugs that aren't prescribed or over the counter are probably going to get you into trouble.

I always go through the something to declare as I always have medication. More often than not I am through quicker than those going through the nothing to declare.

Then it's clearly different at Sydney Airport, where you make your declaration to the officer who inspects your passport and he directs you which channel to exit through.

Then it's clearly different at Sydney Airport, where you make your declaration to the officer who inspects your passport and he directs you which channel to exit through.

Most Australians dont need to have an immigration officer check their passports on the way in as its all done now by the inbuilt passport chip the machine reads along with your facial recognition.

Even before the chipped passports it was customs officials that viewed your declaration form and gave it a letter/number and directed you to the correct exit.

I have never been directed to an exit point Declare /nothing to Declare by an immigration officer only customs agents on the other side of passport control because you pick up your luggage after immigration passport control?

Do you now pick up your luggage before passport control in Sydney?

I don't think I made myself as clear as I should have. Since last year, there is no longer a box to tick on the quarantine forms for bringing in confectionery items or biscuits cookies. The form has become more particular about the TYPE of foodstuffs that you might have. If you insist on declaring food items that are in no way problematic, you will be wasting your time and that of the customs officers.

But definitely read the whole form carefully and answer all the questions truthfully. Bottom line: any food other than chocolate candy or biscuits and any drugs that aren't prescribed or over the counter are probably going to get you into trouble.

So nuts fruits seeds berries and honey are exempt as confectionery.

My last customs declaration this July did not have an exemption from all types of confectionery so perhaps they are using both new and old forms?

In fact i cant ever remember there being a specific box to tick that covered only confectionery and biscuits? It always covered a range of food stuffs that some confectionery may contain.

This June I was told by a Qantas stewardess that I would have to declare an unopened bag of M&Ms when I arrived at LAX so I left them on the plane for the cleaner (or perhaps the stewardess:) )

I always go through the something to declare as I always have medication. More often than not I am through quicker than those going through the nothing to declare.

I agree, declare anything you may think needs to be declared and tell or show the customs officer who usually directs you to a quicker exit.

Smugglers no matter how smart are in no way going to put the spotlight on themselves by ticking yes to boxes in the declaration, customs know this so if its an accepted item then the customs people usually send you through the green because your luggage and person has already been sniffed by that stage.