Cast Member gifts?

crazy coconutz

We are new to Disney and cruising in general. I have seen people describe "gifts" that they bring for cast members.

Is it customary to bring "gifts"? I thought my to do list was complete. aaaack

32 days!!:D

Typically a cash "gift" (tip) is what's most appreciated. Some people feel that it's necessary to bring little things so that the CMs will feel more appreciated. Many times, there really isn't room in their rooms onboard (generally shared and quite small) to keep everything that's given to them, and such items could find new homes in the trash. Yes, any CM that you give a gift to will be most happy to accept it, but, really, do they need it?

There are a few positions onboard that are non-cash tippable (kids' club CMs, for example), so some people will bring candy, or, it's been recently reported that they like to get current magazines, for those people. Any cash tips that are forced on the kid's club CMs are pooled for a kid's club personnel party.

It's entirely up to you whether you bring extra gifts, or not. We just include extra cash in our regular tips for room hosts, and servers in the dining rooms.

As above....CM quarters are tiny and at the end of their contract they will be flying home....and have very limited luggage space. There are people who thing the CMs are their new best friends and need gifts. Most of the gifts they get are things they don't really want and can't use.

What is appreciated--for tipped positions, cash. Period. They can ride the crew bus to Wal-mart or Target to buy what they need and they don't get a bunch of "stuff."

What IS appreciated--if you have any left over laundry products, they'll happily save you some luggage weight. They are responsible for their personal laundry while DCL takes care of their "costumes." (on duty clothing). Any edible treats are favorites. And if you are determined to bring gifts of an edible nature, think a little about the "behind the scenes" people. You can take a bag of candy to Guest Services and ask them to see that it gets to the engine room people or the tech crew from the theatre or whatever. There are a lot of people that are rarely seen and therefore rarely "remembered" in this way.

BUT NO, you are not required or even encouraged to bring gifts for anyone.

The gifts they like are those with dead presidents prominently featured on them. The people who insist otherwise are delusional.

And who has insisted and been delusional about that?

YOURSELF!

For those CM's that cannot accept gifts with dead presidents prominently featured on them and are working in other areas, they do NOT mind a treat or two of candy or chocolate. Or even just a passing comment of please thank the cruse staff to the CD or themselves.

It's the little things

ex techie

I totally agree that those in tipped positions appreciate the dead presidents. BUT there are those who are not allowed to accept cash tips--those individuals are required to turn over any such tips to their supervisor or the peeps at Guest Services (my understanding is that the money is used either for crew parties or donated to a charity depending on department/who you talk to). Bottom line, the CM can't keep it regardless of what he/she might have done to warrant the tip.

These are the "behind the scenes" people who do appreciate a small remembrance OR best of all if a particular individual is involved, a mention that he/she made your cruise "magical" on the comment card or in a letter. A bag of candy doesn't go far when divided among all the CMs in a particular department or area, but it is nice that someone thought of them. But again, don't give them "stuff." Make it edible or make it cash. They seriously do not want your home made picture frame or whatever.

I totally agree that those in tipped positions appreciate the dead presidents. BUT there are those who are not allowed to accept cash tips--those individuals are required to turn over any such tips to their supervisor or the peeps at Guest Services (my understanding is that the money is used either for crew parties or donated to a charity depending on department/who you talk to). Bottom line' date=' the CM can't keep it regardless of what he/she might have done to warrant the tip.

These are the "behind the scenes" people who do appreciate a small remembrance OR best of all if a particular individual is involved, a mention that he/she made your cruise "magical" on the comment card or in a letter. A bag of candy doesn't go far when divided among all the CMs in a particular department or area, but it is nice that someone thought of them. But again, don't give them "stuff." Make it edible or make it cash. They seriously do not want your home made picture frame or whatever.[/quote']

Hi Moki's Mommy

Me again.

We've been cruising for 45 years on many lines but (as I've said many times) this will be our first Disney cruise. This is the first I've ever heard of crew members who aren't allowed to accept tips.

When our kids were little the kid's club staffers (on other lines) were the people we tipped the most!

Who isn't allowed to accept tips on Disney?

And who has insisted and been delusional about that?

YOURSELF!

For those CM's that cannot accept gifts with dead presidents prominently featured on them and are working in other areas, they do NOT mind a treat or two of candy or chocolate. Or even just a passing comment of please thank the cruse staff to the CD or themselves.

It's the little things

ex techie

I don't tip/gift entertainment or technical staff, office staff, gift shop staff, etc. on a ship any more than I would at home. That said, if someone is particularly helpful, I will always seek out their manager to compliment them, be it in person or through a comment card or follow up email, etc.

It is actually easier to list those who CAN accept cash tips.

Those who can accept tips and keep them for themselves are any waiter type staff--servers, assistants, head servers, room service delivery people, bar tenders...and in another category, the stateroom hosts. Also spa workers, but there is now an 18% autogratuity in spa (at least on the Magic this summer).

Those who can accept but must pool tips--Youth Activities Counselors. For bar staff, the auto-gratuity is pooled, but any extra added goes to that person.

Others are not allowed to accept tips--any supervisor, trainer, officer, behind the scenes people, etc. If they are given a tip that they are unable to refuse comfortably, they must turn in the money. Caught keeping it = loss of job.

Thanks.

Most of it is as usual.

Just to clarify - other people wrote that the Youth Activities Counselors must turn in their tips towards either a staff party or towards a charity.

You write that they must pool them (which makes sense) among all of the Youth Activities staff.

Which is it? (We'll have 6 children in our group and three sets of parents so this might be relevant and a decent amount of money).

Thanks.

Most of it is as usual.

Just to clarify - other people wrote that the Youth Activities Counselors must turn in their tips towards either a staff party or towards a charity.

You write that they must pool them (which makes sense) among all of the Youth Activities staff.

Which is it? (We'll have 6 children in our group and three sets of parents so this might be relevant and a decent amount of money).

They are turned in and used for a party or activity. Sorry, my point was that they are not allowed to keep them personally. The "fair division" of the tips is that YAC uses them for a department party. The logic is that no one or two people cared for your kids--many did. And it isn't fair for those who work the last night to get the tips. If there are gift cards given as tips, these are used as "door prizes" at the party. The person who wins a gift card doesn't know if it has $10 or $50 on it, but all cards are given as prizes.

I don't tip/gift entertainment or technical staff, office staff, gift shop staff, etc. on a ship any more than I would at home. That said, if someone is particularly helpful, I will always seek out their manager to compliment them, be it in person or through a comment card or follow up email, etc.

Each to their own.

As one should.

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie