DL in ATL: planning for a missed connection

epixx

On 27 Aug, flying BCN to BWI via ATL on DL (#115, arrives ATL at 1553 to #2602, departs ATL at 1731). Flight purchased on DL website.

1. For those of you with access to special tools, how does the next flight, #2024, look with respect to available seats? Need 4.

2. We have checked luggage and are not seated at the front of the plane. Anything we can do after deplaning to increase the likelihood (slim) of making the scheduled connection?

3. If and when we realize that we will not make the connection (assuming this is after deplaning and not upon departure from BCN), what is the best way of trying to get seats on a later flight? Call DL? DL app on phone?

4. Any other words of advice?

Thank you.

On 27 Aug, flying BCN to BWI via ATL on DL (#115, arrives ATL at 1553 to #2602, departs ATL at 1731). Flight purchased on DL website.

1. For those of you with access to special tools, how does the next flight, #2024, look with respect to available seats? Need 4.

2. We have checked luggage and are not seated at the front of the plane. Anything we can do after deplaning to increase the likelihood (slim) of making the scheduled connection?

3. If and when we realize that we will not make the connection (assuming this is after deplaning and not upon departure from BCN), what is the best way of trying to get seats on a later flight? Call DL? DL app on phone?

4. Any other words of advice?

#1 Currently, ExpertFlyer shows:

DL 2024

ATL 08/27/14 7:05 PM

BWI 08/27/14 9:03 PM 63% / 31m

F9 P9 A7 G6 Y9 B9 M9 S9 H9 Q9 K9 L9 U9 T9 X9 V9 E9

Wide open across the board. Same with your currently booked flight.

One thing to note is that this flight is on-time only 63% of the time, with an average delay of 31 minutes. Now, whether this is departure related, ground time related or just arrival issues is a bit of conjecture.

#2 Don't dawdle to immigration, ditto with customs and then security rescreening.

#3 The DL app is pretty good on this. Load it onto your phone and fire up the phone as soon as you land. If you are going to miss your flight, DL will rebook you and show that on the app. Also, in the concourses there are assistance kiosks where you can scan the barcode from your existing BP and get a new one if rebooked. One note: You are NOT allowed to use a cell phone in the immigration and customs area. So put it away when in line for immigration and keep it there while waiting for your luggage.

#4 You have a tight, but doable connection. Much depends on whether there is a backlog of earlier flights that are already in the immigration queue. Have your paperwork done and ready to present. Be prepped for a fast passage through security (put away your metal objects etc.)

Evening arrivals in ATL are not nearly as crowded as afternoon arrivals. We just did it in May after a number of former afternoon arrivals.

You will arrive in either concourse E or F for C & I. After exiting the flight there are long corridors leading to C & I with assistants along the way to guide you to the proper arrival hall. You will scan your passports and then line up for Immigration. Once through this area you will go to Customs where you will retrieve your luggage and take it through. If all of your paperwork is approved and you do not exceed your allowance or bring in prohibited items you will place your luggage on the conveyer belts for the next flight. It is at this point that you have access to Delta reservation representatives. If you have missed your connection do not place your luggage on the belt but go to the Delta desk to get your new flight assignments.

Once through C and I you will go to your next gate via the train. (There are domestic flights that also go from concourses E and F so check the monitors carefully.)

It can be done in 1 1/2 hours. Don't dawdle. And, good luck. I hope your flights home are as carefree as your cruise.

Anything we can do after deplaning to increase the likelihood (slim) of making the scheduled connection?

I would not assume your chances of making the flight are slim. My last trip through I&C at ATL was horrendous... long, slow moving lines and took forever for luggage, but many times prior to that the lines was practically non-existent and my GE status barely benefitted me; 90 min. would have given me time to stop and get a quick bite on the concourse before boarding. Be prepared for the worst, but don't automatically assume you won't make it. :)