Dunn's From Falmouth On Our Own?

stoddaj1

Anything is possible, but for safety, we would not do this.

I would book a private tour or a ships tour at least.

Too far away from port, and you would be on your own in a foreign country with a significant amount of poverty.

I do not even know where you could rent a rental car??? and if I would even want to for its own safety concerns.

Take some kind of tour.

Safe travels.

We have done many ports on our own including Domenican Republic, Cartagena, Panama, Belize, .... You just have to be aware of your surroundings. Unfortunetely, I have not been in Jamaica and I do not know the logistics. Would you mind sharing if you end up going on your own and what you did. Thank you :)

Have been to Jamaica,I would not travel alone like I do in other ports.

My husband works with Jamaicans ,they advised him not to travel around alone. Although if you are determined to do it, stay in the tourist areas!

BTW: We have had some wonderful times in Jamaica, :)

Reader

Edited by Reader0108598

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't do it -- not because I would be afraid, although that could be valid, I wouldn't because going there is a long distance from Falmouth. It is a minimum of 3 hours round trip and that is if you are good with directions and don't get lost.

I would recommend a guide. We used Wentworth Pearson and I can recommend him for a safe tour at a reasonable price. He knows the way to go. We had planned more for our day but had to reconsider our goals because of the distance. Dunn's river was accomplished and a lovely refreshment break at a highly recommended bar. We had a lovely day.

Please consider a tour/guide to be safe.

I'm stumped as well. We are going to Falmouth on the 23rd. We have been to Jamaica a few times. Last time we took Peat/Courtney Taylor tours to the Blue Hole (near Dunns River Falls) and Bamboo Blu beach and while we loved it (because we LOVE the Blue Hole...at least we use to but not as much since they have commercialized it :( ) and it took over an hour and a half to get there one way and we saw several bad accidents....made me glad that we didn't drive on our own. I typically have no problem taking private tour operators instead of cruise line tours but Jamaica always gives me pause. Anyway, this time we don't want to spend 3 hours of our day in a car so I think we have decided to go to the all inclusive Hilton Rose Hall Resort in Montego Bay - about 1/2 an hour away. I have looked and looked for excursions that are closer to Falmouth and have come up empty handed. The Falmouth port has a lot of shopping but once you venture outside of the port area, it is a tad scary. The vendors are pretty aggressive. Please share if you find something! :)

Kathy

Edited by Bug'sMom

I agree. Jamaica can be very interesting. But unless you stayl in the tourist areas I would get a guide.

I have been to Jamaica a few times and have seen it and done it. So I usually just stay on the ship and enjoy the emptiness.

That being said I will be there in 2 weeks and found this tour out of Falmouth. Something New to try and will report on it when I get back in mid-December.

http://jamaicaculinarytours.com/tours/view/falmouth_food_tour_868291713#.WDh2CpXrvIV

• 2 weeks later...