Tell me why.....Disney wonder

azbeachbum2016

So please tell me al the reason why you love Disney cruises. Please tell me how they differ from other cruise lines. How do the meals work? How's the food? Activities on board? We are looking at Disney wonder for a 14 day cruise out of Flordia. Any other info is welcome! A Disney cruise is my dream and I just want to be prepared to get the most of it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So please tell me al the reason why you love Disney cruises. Please tell me how they differ from other cruise lines. How do the meals work? How's the food? Activities on board? We are looking at Disney wonder for a 14 day cruise out of Flordia. Any other info is welcome! A Disney cruise is my dream and I just want to be prepared to get the most of it!!

Well, for starters, they have Disney characters and Disney shows onboard. I've also found the general upkeep on the Disney ships is better than the other lines we've been on. That is, the daily maintenance.

That being said, Disney prices are basically double the same cruise on another line. Only you can say whether it's worth it for you.

There are 3 Main Dining Rooms. You are assigned a rotation that will place you in all 3 rooms over the duration of the cruise. Every night is a different menu. I find the food on DCL to fall pretty much in the good to very good range. With a few great and a small amount of not so good items.

You can look here: http://disneycruiselineblog.com/personal-navigators/ for past Navigators to get an idea of the various activities that may be onboard your cruise.

Our first DCL cruise (well, our first cruise ever) was a 15 night Panama Canal cruise on the Magic. We've since been on all the ships.

I'm sorry maybe I posted that wrong and should re word it. I am sold on a Disney cruise! I love Disney and have a cruise on the Disney wonder book! I was curious what are the things other people feel set Disney above and beyond other cruise lines! What activities people enjoy on the Disney cruises! I've read so much about the Disney cruise for years and I'm so excited to finally be able to go on one. I know what I'm so excited for but for me I love hearing what other people love about Disney cruises. Tomorrow I will delete this post and try to re word it and be more specific as what info I'm looking for. The first response from shmoo here was exactly what I was looking for! I want peoples opinions!!!!

If you're speaking about sailing on the Wonder for 14 days out of Florida you're talking about Westbound Panama Canal cruise from Port Canveral to San Diego. We're booked on that for April of 2017. This is one of the longer trips DCL undertakes and is often a bucket list cruise for many that love all things "Mouse". Obviously the activities and time spent on the ship play an important part of any vacation, however for myself this is not only a planned holiday it also will be illuminating and educational as well. One thing we've found so far is that social media is playing an important part of planning this cruise, it has let us connect with many other people taking this same cruise and has allowed us to get to know these fellow cruise mates so that the trip will be much more enjoyable and social for everyone. There are many things you can do and see on DCL, but keeping your expectations realistic and allowing some of the on board experiences to surprise and delight you might be the best part of taking a Disney Cruise Line cruise!

Hi there!

I just got off Disney Wonder's preview sailing post-refurb about two weeks ago. It was my first Disney cruise, but I wrote a blog about all the things that make Disney Wonder unique apart from its sister ships. The ship review is in the process of being updated -- hang tight!

Happy Cruising,

~Brittany Chrusciel, Associate Editor, Cruise Critic

The good:

Access to characters is better than at parks; Kids and Teens have many options; Disney movies in the theater or your state room's TV; Friendly staff; Castaway Cay; Theater production shows; waiters will spend a ton of time on the kids; Portable phones and messaging App while on board.

The Bad:

Not a huge bang for your $$$; Disappointed with Food at all restaurants, it was average or below-compared to any cruise line; Spa is underneath basketball court (on Wonder); non-alcoholic special drink tab will be higher than normal bar tab.

The good:

Access to characters is better than at parks; Kids and Teens have many options; Disney movies in the theater or your state room's TV; Friendly staff; Castaway Cay; Theater production shows; waiters will spend a ton of time on the kids; Portable phones and messaging App while on board.

The Bad:

Not a huge bang for your $$$; Disappointed with Food at all restaurants, it was average or below-compared to any cruise line; Spa is underneath basketball court (on Wonder); non-alcoholic special drink tab will be higher than normal bar tab.

Not sure why that would be. Non-alcoholic drinks are only around $2.00 (if you buy in a lounge). Plus there's the included soda station on the pool deck and in the buffet. And non-alcoholic drinks are included at meals.

Non-alcoholic drinks for $2 from a lounge or bar? Not the ones my kid liked. MANY years ago, they were $4.50 including the automatic gratuity. And they are higher if you get them in the dining rooms in the special cups or with the light up Tink or Woody on the cup, etc.

Your dinner server will add some cherries or a little grenadine to a soda for the kids and not charge for that, but the smoothies, etc. come at a hefty price.

I meant the "special" Non-alcoholic drinks-those that look like cocktails. They appear in the dinner or drink menus or come with some sort of light inside the cup...

OK, I was thinking "soda". But I've gotten Shirley Temples in the dining room for no charge, also.

If you're speaking about sailing on the Wonder for 14 days out of Florida you're talking about Westbound Panama Canal cruise from Port Canveral to San Diego. We're booked on that for April of 2017. This is one of the longer trips DCL undertakes and is often a bucket list cruise for many that love all things "Mouse".

The 14-day Panama Canal cruise, which is pretty much only one reposition a year, is the Holy Grail for most Disney cruise fans--

It's still my dream to save up for it one year, just for the experience of being able to be on deck as it goes through the Canal, and say "Twenty-five cents to go through this thing? Ehh, we'll walk first!"

:D

I meant the "special" Non-alcoholic drinks-those that look like cocktails. They appear in the dinner or drink menus or come with some sort of light inside the cup...

We paid $7+ on our last cruise for a non-alcoholic drink in the dining

room. It had a buzz light year straw for my big kid DH..

I'm sorry maybe I posted that wrong and should re word it. I am sold on a Disney cruise! I love Disney and have a cruise on the Disney wonder book! I was curious what are the things other people feel set Disney above and beyond other cruise lines! What activities people enjoy on the Disney cruises! I've read so much about the Disney cruise for years and I'm so excited to finally be able to go on one. I know what I'm so excited for but for me I love hearing what other people love about Disney cruises. Tomorrow I will delete this post and try to re word it and be more specific as what info I'm looking for. The first response from shmoo here was exactly what I was looking for! I want peoples opinions!!!!

If you're a Disney person it's just a "feeling" you get on the ships. I've been on 4 Disney cruises and 1 Carnival cruise, (Also have 2 Carnival and 1 Disney booked for next year), and on all of them had a great time and didn't want to leave the ship at the end. Honestly, they both had pros and cons and I can't say that either line is better overall, but both do certain things better. Carnival has way better desserts than DCL, but DCL kids meals are way better than Carnival.

When I walked on the Carnival Vista it was nice and I was excited to go but when I walk on a Disney ship I just feel at home, (and always shed a tear or two). Once you're on board, you'll know what I mean. And btw, Shmoo is absolutely correct, the ships are so clean!

The 14-day Panama Canal cruise, which is pretty much only one reposition a year, is the Holy Grail for most Disney cruise fans--

It's still my dream to save up for it one year, just for the experience of being able to be on deck as it goes through the Canal, and say "Twenty-five cents to go through this thing? Ehh, we'll walk first!"

:D

Well, not really. They have to do the Panama Canal twice each year - westbound and eastbound. Otherwise the ship would be stuck on the west coast.

I'll add... there is a strong demand for cruisers in Alaska during the summer. Cruisers want warmer destinations in the winter.

The Wonder follows where the kids, pixie dust, and cruisers money goes.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Forums mobile app

Edited by xlxo

• 2 weeks later...

I think if you really like Disney or have children there is value in a Disney cruise. If you don't fall into either of those categories I don't see the point in spending the extra money to cruise on Disney. Another thing is you must really like little kids because there are hundreds of them everywhere. After reading through reviews and talking to people on our Disney cruises that cruise multiple cruise line I don't get the impression that Disney does things better it's just a different experience. All of its very subjective anyway.

I feel at home when I walk on aDisney ship, but I'm sure I'd feel at home on Carnival or Royal if I had cruised on them 20 times. Most of my love for Disney at this point is due to memories of my kids being little and just nostalgia...not so much because of the product. The Disney product is good, but not so good to keep me paying double or triple to cruise on them every time.

I hope you enjoy your Disney cruise it's definitely a unique experience.

I think if you really like Disney or have children there is value in a Disney cruise. If you don't fall into either of those categories I don't see the point in spending the extra money to cruise on Disney. Another thing is you must really like little kids because there are hundreds of them everywhere. After reading through reviews and talking to people on our Disney cruises that cruise multiple cruise line I don't get the impression that Disney does things better it's just a different experience. All of its very subjective anyway.

I feel at home when I walk on aDisney ship, but I'm sure I'd feel at home on Carnival or Royal if I had cruised on them 20 times. Most of my love for Disney at this point is due to memories of my kids being little and just nostalgia...not so much because of the product. The Disney product is good, but not so good to keep me paying double or triple to cruise on them every time.

I hope you enjoy your Disney cruise it's definitely a unique experience.

Disney does entertainment, family fun, and kid dining better than ccl and rcl. I don't consider trivia or bingo a family activity with littles. My five year old was never bored even with crappy weather. There were tons of activities in the club/lab and around the ship. Diaper dash, wake up with Disney Jr, toddler time, crafts, character meet and greets, character breakfast (rushed, but still better than dr Seuss breakfast and no extra charge).

I have three littles, we were all over the ship in the kid areas, and I never felt over run by kids. It helps we travel during school, so fewer tweens (the problem group in my experience).

On ccl and rcl, dining was a disaster with kid. The mdr was not kid friendly. No kid cups, no top or straw. Too much extra fancy dishes. On dcl all the extras are removed, kid's drinks are in plastic cups with tops no straws, not huge glass water goblets. Dcl just does kids better. Dining room entertainment was enjoyable and fun, no table dancing or questionable songs.

The service and friendliness of the staff is better.

Disney does entertainment, family fun, and kid dining better than ccl and rcl. I don't consider trivia or bingo a family activity with littles. My five year old was never bored even with crappy weather. There were tons of activities in the club/lab and around the ship. Diaper dash, wake up with Disney Jr, toddler time, crafts, character meet and greets, character breakfast (rushed, but still better than dr Seuss breakfast and no extra charge).

I have three littles, we were all over the ship in the kid areas, and I never felt over run by kids. It helps we travel during school, so fewer tweens (the problem group in my experience).

On ccl and rcl, dining was a disaster with kid. The mdr was not kid friendly. No kid cups, no top or straw. Too much extra fancy dishes. On dcl all the extras are removed, kid's drinks are in plastic cups with tops no straws, not huge glass water goblets. Dcl just does kids better. Dining room entertainment was enjoyable and fun, no table dancing or questionable songs.

The service and friendliness of the staff is better.

Like I said if you have kids it's totally worth it. We cruise in the offseason too and it's always little kid soup in the pool. Just got off the Wonder with over 1200 kids. I have tweens I don't see them as the problem group they are usually out of sight playing video games. I'm used to DCL the kids don't bother me, but I would never tell someone looking at a Disney cruise that it's not over run with kids because that would be a flat out lie. If your going to cruise DCL you better like little people.

The best cruises are the Panama, Hawaii and TA's. You'll have 200-400 kids which is about the right amount.

Service and friendliness of staff is pretty subjective after 20 cruises we've had service all over the place.

I'm glad your kids get to experience Disney cruising it's definitely one of a kind for kids.

Like I said if you have kids it's totally worth it. We cruise in the offseason too and it's always little kid soup in the pool. Just got off the Wonder with over 1200 kids. I have tweens I don't see them as the problem group they are usually out of sight playing video games. I'm used to DCL the kids don't bother me, but I would never tell someone looking at a Disney cruise that it's not over run with kids because that would be a flat out lie. If your going to cruise DCL you better like little people.

The best cruises are the Panama, Hawaii and TA's. You'll have 200-400 kids which is about the right amount.

Service and friendliness of staff is pretty subjective after 20 cruises we've had service all over the place.

I'm glad your kids get to experience Disney cruising it's definitely one of a kind for kids.

The TAs were up to 600 kids (age 0-17) on the 2015 sailings. I don't know what 2016 was as we weren't on DCL last summer. Yes, historically there were very few kids on the long cruises, but be aware that the number is increasing steadily. As you noted, on our 2005 PC cruise, there were fewer than 200 kids. Still, even 600 is a far cry from the "typical" 1000-1200 on the classic ships.

I'm glad that YOUR tweens are not a problem. I've often seen them as the problem age--stealing from stateroom host carts, knocking on doors and running, removing door decorations, hitting every button on the elevators, etc. while their parents believe they are old enough to be unsupervised. True, I've also had cruises where they were so little a problem that I complimented the Vibe CM on their behavior. I don't dislike kids; I DO dislike unsupervised kids acting out, regardless of their age!

As you noted, with our high number of cruises we've found service and friendliness to vary considerably. However, the friendliness is generally better than on some other lines.

I have been on four cruise lines. Twice on DCL. My opinion is that they have a unique product. When we cruised them the first time, our son was 16 and having a supervised teen club with activities was important to us. The food was good to very good, and on the Magic they did a great job of keeping the kids corralled and out of the adult areas. I don't think they do this as well on the new ships.

The cabins are spacious and comfortable, the service was overall very good to excellent.

We grew out of DCL and would probably never sail them again unless we were taking children. In that case we would probably never take any other line.

All that said, if you are into Disney and really want to try them, do it. You won't be disappointed as long as you have expectations of what they are... A family-centric mass market line that offers some special touches and a higher service level than the other mass market lines. I would suggest that you consider booking a concierge level cabin, that is where DCL really stands apart from other mass market lines, unless you want to spend big bucks in a specialty suite.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just got off Disney Dream 4 day cruise. Since we took kids and grandkids it was a no brainer compared to kids activities on other lines. That said our opinion is the food superior to Celebrity, Princess and Royal Caribbean. Also just about every other aspect like service, quality of entertainment, ship condition and maintenance, and ease of embarkation and debarkation.