Grand Cayman Port - Dream

Luke Saint Joe

While in port in Grand Cayman on Christmas Day, we would like to go to the beach. I have read that the beaches are very nearby the cruise ship dock. Can anyone recommend a spot where we can rent chairs and umbrella? Not looking for an all-inclusive spot with booze & food, but would like restrooms and showers. Thank you.

I would ask at port of call but seem to remember the locals think this beach is rather dirty.

We usually go to 7 mile beach which is a short cab ride away and much nicer.

Seven Mile Beach is the closest beach (it starts right at the north end of town). I'm not sure which beach you are talking about, but I'm going to venture a guess and say that's in St. Maarten where the locals won't swim from the beach in town because they say it's poluted.

I've never seen a dirty beach in Grand Cayman and there really are no beaches "in town" other than Seven Mile. Can't give you a location for umbrellas and showers, but I know there are a lot of places along Seven Mile Beach that provide that.

I'll be in Grand Cayman at the end of this month with a group of friends. We are going to the beach at the Royal Palms Resort. We had planned on taking a cab to 7 mile beach (supposedly the nicest beach there), pay one of the hotels surrounding the beach an entrance fee to access the beach, and then pick an activity while we’re out there (parasailing, jet ski, snorkeling, restaurant).

Here is the price break down that someone posted for Royal Palms:

Cab: $4USD/person (you can also walk a block or so in from the port and catch the public bus for $2.50USD/person. The cab was just so easy/convenient since they are RIGHT there. Going to RP, we didn't have to wait at all. Coming back, we had to sit in the cab/bus for about 10 minutes before departing while our driver attempted to fill the cab. Very short drive to/from port.

Entry fee: $2USD/person

Chairs: $7USD/chair

Umbrella: $10USD

Towels: $5USD/towel (if you forgot towels from the ship)

This hotel also offers private cabanas that I think are better than paying all the stuff above once you add it together. It's a roped off area that sits right in front of the water and comes with 4 chairs, a table, and 4 lounge chairs. The private cabana is $100 and it only covers the $2 entrance fee for 6 ppl so any extra people in your group will have to pay the $2 entrance. I doubt they will be strict on how many people you let into your cabana unless your trying to squeeze in over 50 people or something.

My group chose the cabana option. I'll let you know how it goes when I get back. Hope this helped! :D

Edited by RayRay813

Royal Palms is a beach club, and there is no hotel there. The Cabanas are the "tent" type that have a canopy and sides that can be let down. Lots of people choose Royal Palms as it's the only one that has an all-inclusive option (I believe, reports on this vary). Seven Mile beach is....welll.....seven miles long (approx.). It is on the side of the island that the ships anchor, and just up a short distance from Georgetown. Many people walk to the beginning of Seven Mile Beach, but it can be hot and cabs and busses are not that expensive, so depending on where in that seven miles you want to park your butt, you'll have different prices in taxis. Very easy, very clean, very nice island.

We usually head the opposite direction of Seven Mile and take a right off the tender dock. Here you'll find some restaurants and great snorkeling. There is no beach, as it's all rock (coral/iron shore) but that's what makes the snorkeling great. Eden Rock (snorkeling site) i just down the road and you can park yourselves at Paradise Grill right on the water, or you can walk a mile down the road to our favorite....Sunset House Resort. This place is awesome. GREAT location right on the water, excellent snorkeling, wonderful food and drink, plenty of room to sun and relax, and a swimming pool and shower right there. Doesn't cost a dime......except for the food and drink......which we tally up pretty high. :)

^^^ Thanks for clearing that up. I knew the cabanas were tents but I didn't know it was not a hotel. I'm really looking forward to enjoying my tent though. I hate laying out in the sun so I'm hoping it will provide enough shelter to protect me from the rays :mad:

^^^ Thanks for clearing that up. I knew the cabanas were tents but I didn't know it was not a hotel. I'm really looking forward to enjoying my tent though. I hate laying out in the sun so I'm hoping it will provide enough shelter to protect me from the rays :mad:

Yes, I'm sure it will do the trick! Have a great time!!

There are restrooms all up and down the beach, and chair/umbrella rentals galore! You can take a shower when you get back to the ship....simply dry off, and put your shorts/tee over your swimsuit.

Oooh, not me. I need to wash that sand and salt water off as soon as I'm out of it. I need a shower as well.

We went to Royal Palms the last time we were in Cayman on a cruise. It was a great spot. They also have a nice pool. I'm pretty sure we will be going there again on Christmas day. I'm considering the cabana, but have not decided yet.

Are you allowed to use the pool????

On RP's site it states ~

. Cruise ship guest have the option of an all day pass is only $2 and you will have access to the stunning Seven Mile Beach and use of our showers, change rooms and washrooms. Lounge chairs are available on the beach for $ 7 each.

Are you allowed to use the pool????

On RP's site it states ~

. Cruise ship guest have the option of an all day pass is only $2 and you will have access to the stunning Seven Mile Beach and use of our showers' date=' change rooms and washrooms. Lounge chairs are available on the beach for $ 7 each. [/indent']

I think we had to buy something from the restaurant/bar to use the pool. It was summer 2012. I hope we are still allowed to use the pool. I'm pretty sure only adults can use the pool, but it was not crowded that day and there were several older teens in the pool. They were all well behaved.

• 3 months later...
We went to Royal Palms the last time we were in Cayman on a cruise. It was a great spot. They also have a nice pool. I'm pretty sure we will be going there again on Christmas day. I'm considering the cabana, but have not decided yet.

Hi! I think we're on the same cruise? The Dream leaving NOLA on December 21st. I have no idea what to do in Georgetown with a 5 and 11 year old. We did the stingrays last year when we docked at Grand Cayman. Any suggestions?

Hi! I think we're on the same cruise? The Dream leaving NOLA on December 21st. I have no idea what to do in Georgetown with a 5 and 11 year old. We did the stingrays last year when we docked at Grand Cayman. Any suggestions?

Yes, we are. I really don't have any suggestions. We've done stingray city twice, so we're not interested in doing that again. I think we are going to play the day be ear. We like Royal Palms the last time we were there, but it will be closed for the day. The time before that when we were in Cayman, we went to a bar/restaurant called Hemingways and hung out for the day. We were able to rent snorkeling equipment there for a reasonable price and swim out from the restaurant to snorkel. It was great, but I don't think Hemingways is there anymore, and I don't know if the new place will be open or if they rent snorkeling equipment. It just doesn't sound like much will be open, so I'd say take the tender ashore and head to the beach for a few hours. Bring a frisbee or a football for the kids to play with at the beach.

Yes, we are. I really don't have any suggestions. We've done stingray city twice, so we're not interested in doing that again. I think we are going to play the day be ear. We like Royal Palms the last time we were there, but it will be closed for the day. The time before that when we were in Cayman, we went to a bar/restaurant called Hemingways and hung out for the day. We were able to rent snorkeling equipment there for a reasonable price and swim out from the restaurant to snorkel. It was great, but I don't think Hemingways is there anymore, and I don't know if the new place will be open or if they rent snorkeling equipment. It just doesn't sound like much will be open, so I'd say take the tender ashore and head to the beach for a few hours. Bring a frisbee or a football for the kids to play with at the beach.

Thanks for the reply! We're going to bring some small sand toys and hang out on the beach. I don't really feel like hustling and bustling to get off the ship on Christmas morning, anyway! Maybe we'll see you!