Guernsey question

KirkNC

We are debating whether to ride the bus (7/7A) around the island or just take bus 4 to Mable Bay and walk back to town on the cliff trails. Thoughts? I wonder how much you really get to see from the bus trip around the island.

We are debating whether to ride the bus (7/7A) around the island or just take bus 4 to Mable Bay and walk back to town on the cliff trails. Thoughts? I wonder how much you really get to see from the bus trip around the island.

I have been to Guernsey once on business and got to spend a day there. We are going back for a short-day tender this year on the Caribbean Princess. What I really want to see again is the town area, which is right in the port area, with the cobblestone streets, shops, and restaurants. They are known for Guernsey sweaters. I still have mine from several years ago and will pick up another when I'm there. Most of what you would see on a bus would be residential.

+++++++++++++++++

In mid-October, we made the island circuit counterclockwise and you get to see a lot of the coastline after the first 20 minutes. Stopover where you think it is attractive for a beach/cliff walk, and you satisfy both your desires.

I'd say it would depend a lot on the weather. You do see a lot of scenery from the bus but witthout a guide it won't mean much. With the limited time you will have I suggest staying in or near the Town. There is plenty to see and some nice pubs and cafes.

Ignore the stuff about "tax free shopping." There are no great bargains as they just up the prices anyway.

In mid-October, we made the island circuit counterclockwise and you get to see a lot of the coastline after the first 20 minutes. Stopover where you think it is attractive for a beach/cliff walk, and you satisfy both your desires.

This is my opinion (and experience) as well. At the tourist office, near the harbour, you can pick a good free hiking map with some tourist information about what you may see on the way (and suggestions for some walking circuits which you can do in full and in part). You can also pick the bus timetable (or get it online). The bus ticket is only £1 so it's really not a problem to get off the bus and back on at the next stop. It's very nice (and easy) to walk along the coast at the northern tip of the island. You don't see so much of the coast at the southern part of the route, so if you want a cliff walk you need to figure out on the map where to stop.

This being said, if "Mable Bay" is actually "Marble Bay" I have done last spring the walk from Fermain Bay (not very far) to the town and it's really a beautiful walk (you can see picture on my blog). You can take the 7 bus counterclockwise to enjoy the scenery in the northern part, and then exit (for instance) at Sausmarez Manor and reach the coastal path from there. It's part of a circuit that has some touristic comments on the hiking map from the tourist office.

Edited by SarniaLo
Add some information

Just a warning that you may not actually get to Guernsey! Our Princess cruise in September was meant to call there, but didn't. It is a tender port and there were fellow passengers who said they themselves had failed to land there four times over the years. It is apparently extremely common for ships to be unable to tender there.

Just a warning that you may not actually get to Guernsey! Our Princess cruise in September was meant to call there, but didn't. It is a tender port and there were fellow passengers who said they themselves had failed to land there four times over the years. It is apparently extremely common for ships to be unable to tender there.

Yes it is a tender port and seas often keep ships from actually calling there, still want to plan for want to do but realize no port is guaranteed.

• 3 weeks later...

We were on a cruise in 2010 and thought that Guernsey was lovely. The Little Chapel was a highlight. We took the #7 bus which gave an overview of the island. Also went to the German Occupation museum which was most interesting.

We rode the 7A around the island. Well we took one of the busses (information told us which one) to the Underground Hospital, then we walked quite a ways down through some windy roads and caught the 7A the rest of the way around. It was quite inexpensive, and provided a great sense of a beautiful island, BUT, you don't see THAT much. Unless you were to say know where to get off, and get back on. The busses weren't that frequent, so we didn't get on and off....

I would recommend it if that is all you plan on doing. A friend of mine went on a bike ride excursion on a nearby island and it was amazing!!

• 3 years later...
I have been to Guernsey once on business and got to spend a day there. We are going back for a short-day tender this year on the Caribbean Princess. What I really want to see again is the town area, which is right in the port area, with the cobblestone streets, shops, and restaurants. They are known for Guernsey sweaters. I still have mine from several years ago and will pick up another when I'm there. Most of what you would see on a bus would be residential.

What about a car rental? Would there be a rental at the port? I looked under rentals and they were at the airport?

Not having been to Guernsey did you get the sweater from a shop or street vendor? I know alot of the locals have little stands on the sidewalks? Not familiar with this port, thanks, Mary

Edited by 2ashevillesailors

Hi!

I am from Guernsey...grew up there before moving to the US...I worked for the Guernsey company that marketed the local sweaters that were originally made for the local fisherman. They were sold in the town of St.Peter Port..I would google them to see where the company is located now.

Penny

And just a note about the currency. We were there twice last year (once because it was too rough to stop in Jersey). If you get currency out of a cash machine, make sure that it is a machine that dispenses pound sterling, not Guernsey pounds. I didn't know that this was a problem, but evidently you can only spend Guernsey pounds in Guernsey.

And just a note about the currency. We were there twice last year (once because it was too rough to stop in Jersey). If you get currency out of a cash machine, make sure that it is a machine that dispenses pound sterling, not Guernsey pounds. I didn't know that this was a problem, but evidently you can only spend Guernsey pounds in Guernsey.

This is true...Guernsey pounds can only be spent in Guernsey but English pounds can be spent there and aslo in the rest of the British Isles..i.e N Ireland, Scotland, Wales and England!

Penny

Hi Kirk, think we were on a cruise in December Panama Canal? I was just reading of different walking trails in Guernsey. Go to Guernsey.com lots of good info. We are thinking also of maybe a taxi tour? Mary

Hi!

I am from Guernsey...grew up there before moving to the US...I worked for the Guernsey company that marketed the local sweaters that were originally made for the local fisherman. They were sold in the town of St.Peter Port..I would google them to see where the company is located now.

Penny

I just Googled it came up with Guernsey Jumpers,gg They are in St.Peter Port but there was no street addtess, this came up as a mail order site. Mary

Do you remember where you rented the bikes? Was it close to the port?

Were the hills pretty tough? I am thinking of doing the same thing.

Thanks

We did the ship's excursion, which was not expensive. The bikes were on the dock when our tender boat arrived there. You could probably book the tour independently.