Titanic Museums

We will be in Southampton, Belfast and Liverpool and they all have a museum regarding the Titanic. They are the Titanic Belfast, Sea City Museum in Southampton, and Merseyside Maritime Museum in Liverpool. I was wondering if anyone has been to all of them and if one is better than the other or if they are different enough that it would be worth seeing them all.

Only been to the Southampton one. Very very few artefacts, good presentation with much use of dioramas, an OK experience.

The one in Belfast gets very well received, I get the impression it's head-and-shoulders better than Southampton.

JB :)

Don't miss the Titanic Museum in Belfast. The architecture alone is spectacular and the museum is fascinating and moving. They have a great tearoom for lunch or teatime. I haven't been to the other two museums, but the Titanic Museum was a highlight of our trip to Brlfast.

Don't miss the Titanic Museum in Belfast. The architecture alone is spectacular and the museum is fascinating and moving. They have a great tearoom for lunch or teatime. I haven't been to the other two museums, but the Titanic Museum was a highlight of our trip to Brlfast.

Thank you. we'll have to make sure we go to this one.

Only been to the Southampton one. Very very few artefacts, good presentation with much use of dioramas, an OK experience.

The one in Belfast gets very well received, I get the impression it's head-and-shoulders better than Southampton.

JB :)

We'll go to the Belfast one for sure. Might go to the Southampton one if trying to kill time. Thank you.

The Titanic Museum at Belfast is very close to where the ships generally dock. Unfortunately it is the wrong side of the water so no close access. Cruise lines run excursions to the museum but these are a bit pricey. Best option in my opinion is get the earliest shuttle bus into the city you can (I thought these are free in Belfast courtesy of the Corporation?). Get a taxi from the drop off point to the museum, cost about £5.00. This gets you there before the crowds. Once inside and you pay for the tickets you get through to a big set up which includes rides through recreations of the shipyard. Queues form at these places a bit later in the morning which obviously would waste time and this is where the early shuttlebus/taxi strategy pays off. After you have done the museum you should have spare time for town or whatever.

Regards John

We'll go to the Belfast one for sure. Might go to the Southampton one if trying to kill time. Thank you.

Belfast is very large and well worth a visit. It is more about the building of the Titanic. Southampton is small and very near the port, just up the hill from the train station. Southampton is more about the crew, many of whom came from Southampton. There is also a small museum in West End, just outside Southampton that has information about Captain Rostrum, who rescued many of the survivors.

The museums in Liverpool are very good as are the buildings on the water front.

Lynda

On our Ruby Princess cruise last year we called in Belfast and used the free shuttle from the ship into the city. We had already pre booked our tickets to the Titanic museum, so had a given time slot. When we got off the shuttle, we walked round the corner from the drop off point and bought tickets for the HOHO bus, the Titanic museum was one of the first stops, went round the museum and then carried on with the HOHO tour around Belfast, then back to ship on shuttle. Wonderful but moving day, well worth the visit.

On our Ruby Princess cruise last year we called in Belfast and used the free shuttle from the ship into the city. We had already pre booked our tickets to the Titanic museum, so had a given time slot. When we got off the shuttle, we walked round the corner from the drop off point and bought tickets for the HOHO bus, the Titanic museum was one of the first stops, went round the museum and then carried on with the HOHO tour around Belfast, then back to ship on shuttle. Wonderful but moving day, well worth the visit.

This sounds good to me. I saw that you can order the museum tickets and the HOHO bus together. I'm wondering what time to get the museum tickets for. The ship is supposed to get there at 8:00 a.m. I'll have to check to see what time the museum opens. Do you remember what time you reserved your tickets for???

While you're in Belfast, you might also want to visit the SS Nomadic, which was one of the tenders for the Titanic when she called at Cherbourg. We skipped the Titanic Museum, but did visit the Nomadic. The tour guides are very informative and we were there for at least three hours. Here is a link to their website: http://www.nomadicbelfast.com/

It's a short walk from the Titanic museum. We ordered our tickets online, but there is a ticket office nearby.

I forgot to mention that they have restrooms inside the Nomadic and they are the are the original Crappers, made by the company of the same name. There's a painted logo inside the bowl.

Edited by Steirisch

By pre booking your tickets, you do get a discount, I didn't know they did a combined museum/hoho ticket though. We docked also at 8am, our tickets were for (I think) about 9.45 am. Early shuttle buses were waiting on the quayside for us. We had no trouble getting there and we were before the crowds, in fact we arrived before our time slot but they let us go straight in. So I would say go earlier rather than later because by the time we had finished at midday it was getting very busy.

If you also call in Cobh there is a small Titanic museum there which was quieter but not as good, different experience, but interesting.

Hope this helps, enjoy.

By pre booking your tickets, you do get a discount, I didn't know they did a combined museum/hoho ticket though. We docked also at 8am, our tickets were for (I think) about 9.45 am. Early shuttle buses were waiting on the quayside for us. We had no trouble getting there and we were before the crowds, in fact we arrived before our time slot but they let us go straight in. So I would say go earlier rather than later because by the time we had finished at midday it was getting very busy.

If you also call in Cobh there is a small Titanic museum there which was quieter but not as good, different experience, but interesting.

Hope this helps, enjoy.

This does help - thank you. I think I'll also make them for 9:45 if you say that gives us plenty of time to get there. I think you said that you found the HOHO bus near where the shuttle bus leaves you off and rode it to the museum.

If I remember correctly, Belfast drop off for the shuttle, which were plentiful, with Princess was right outside the tourist information centre, who directed us round the corner for the hoho buses, but there were plenty of agents on the pavement directing you to their buses too, just make sure your bus calls at the museum early on! The shuttle is only a short ride but not easy to walk to the city centre. From the docks you can see the Titanic Museum across the water but you have to ride around to it. We were one of the first off the ship after clearance but taxis are available at the port and city centre if you are pushed for time, I wouldn't recommend walking from the drop off point to the museum though, you'll need to rest those feet for the walking you'll be doing!

If I remember correctly, Belfast drop off for the shuttle, which were plentiful, with Princess was right outside the tourist information centre, who directed us round the corner for the hoho buses, but there were plenty of agents on the pavement directing you to their buses too, just make sure your bus calls at the museum early on! The shuttle is only a short ride but not easy to walk to the city centre. From the docks you can see the Titanic Museum across the water but you have to ride around to it. We were one of the first off the ship after clearance but taxis are available at the port and city centre if you are pushed for time, I wouldn't recommend walking from the drop off point to the museum though, you'll need to rest those feet for the walking you'll be doing!

Thank you. I hope it all works out.

We will be in Southampton, Belfast and Liverpool and they all have a museum regarding the Titanic. They are the Titanic Belfast, Sea City Museum in Southampton, and Merseyside Maritime Museum in Liverpool. I was wondering if anyone has been to all of them and if one is better than the other or if they are different enough that it would be worth seeing them all.

We went to the Titanic Sea City Museum in Southampton. We had been told before we went that it was not any good. We were so unhappy with that museum, I do NOT recommend it.