Isle of Wight

hancogran

I know I'll get some good info from some of you regulars on this board. We are sailing from Southampton back to New York on May 27th.

We're actually arriving on a transatlantic in mid May from Florida and plan to spend a week visiting Paris, a few days in London (been there before) and then head to Southampton with about three days to spare before sailing back.

We were looking at taking the ferry to the Isle of Wight and staying there for three nights before leaving to come back. We've already been to London twice so not really interested in spending too much more time there.

Is it worth traveling to the Isle of Wight for a few days, or would we be better doing something else in the south of England? The ferry from Southampton seems pretty frequent and quick. I'm just not sure if the end of May would be a good time to go there. :confused:

Thanks for any help anybody can give us. Can't wait to visit England again! ;)

Isle of Wight is famous for Osborne House early home of Queen Victoria I believe. It's trains are recycled units from the London Underground ex-Waterloo and City Line units. This is because the Underground in London was traditionally all London Transport operated except the Waterloo and City Line which was run by British Rail. The island is also famous for its different coloured sands. Good beaches and touristy Blackgang Chine etc. I personally feel a couple of nights there would do it.

If you can get to mainland South of England New Forest is nice Lord Montagu of Beaulieu's National Motor Museum has world speed record cars and is internationally important in size and quality.

Can you disclose a rough idea of what you want to do interests etc.?

Regards John

Thanks so much, John for this great info. As far as our interests, I'd say we just like to do the "touristy" stuff.. the famous museums or sites. We both love walking and browsing quaint little towns and shops. We love the beach but don't think it would beach weather at the end of May. I just thought the Isle of Wight would be a bit less busy than the hustle and bustle of London and some of the other big cities. I will definitely check into New Forest as well... Thanks for that suggestion. :)

Found this site which has a 'things to do' section. http://www.visitisleofwight.co.uk/things-to-do

Its been 30 years since I visited the IoW (where does the time go?!), but apart from the sites John mentioned, there is a chair lift down to Alum Bay (where all the coloured sands are), which is also near The Needles (west end of the island). There is also the Isle of Wight steam railway (if you are into that sort of thing) and Carisbrooke Castle. I'm afraid I've no idea what public transport is like, so you might want to look into hiring a car. If you like walking, there are miles of footpaths in the countryside. Agree with John, Beaulieu is well worth a visit if you can work it in. Have a look over the Isle on Google Earth...there are loads of links to photos on there to give you ideas.

Simon

Its been 30 years since I visited the IoW

Nothing's changed, Simon :D

In fact, I don't think anything's changed since about 1955. ;)

Monday 25th May is a bank holiday, so it will be a 3-day weekend.

On the IoW, but everywhere else in England too.

No reason not to go to the island in May. No, it won't probably won't be warm enough to sunbathe but there are plenty of places to visit. None of them spectacular, but very pleasant & all very laid-back. It's very much a holiday island.

There are few major chain hotels - lots of private hotels / guesthouses, pubs with rooms, b&b's, cottages, sited holiday trailers, etc.

Best bet is probably around Shanklin or perhaps Sandown, on the SE coast.

Or mebbe Ryde, on the Solent coast (watch the cruise ships going out around 6pm). Ryde also has fast-ferry and hovercraft links to Portsmouth/Southsea, which would be a good day out.

If you decide to rent a car, rent one from an agency on the island to avoid the cost of taking it on the ferry. That excludes the major renters - Hertz, Avis, Autoeurope etc - who don't have a depot on the island.

Be wary of renters' websites, which seem to be unaware that the Isle of Wight is an island & not connected by road to their depots in places like Southampton or Portsmouth.

Not difficult driving on the island, even for someone used to a left-hooker. The island roads are slow & other traffic is benign. A small car is preferable.

Without a car you're relying on Southern Vectis, the island's bus & ho-ho operator. You can ride all day for £10 - or less. You'll see from their maps that routes radiate from Newport, in the centre of the island. Newport is worth a visit for the market (Tuesdays) and Carisbrooke castle, but despite being the bus hub it's not really a place to stay for a vacation.

http://www.visitisleofwight.co.uk/plan-your-visit/getting-around/by-bus

http://www.visitisleofwight.co.uk/dbimgs/2014-Bus-Route-Map.pdf

If you want to avoid the complication & confines of the IoW, there are many other options on the mainland.

Southampton is an ideal base if you don't have a car - it's a rail junction with direct trains to many places worthy of a day-trip.

- Bournemouth, Poole, Weymouth.

- Salisbury, Bath.

- Winchester, Oxford

- Portsmouth & Southsea, Chichester, Arundel.

If you rent a car consider a base further west, mebbe around Weymouth or Sherborne, for the Jurassic coast, the Dorset downs & villages, Corfe Castle, Glastonbury. New Forest on the way there or back.

Or around Georgian Bath, with side trips to Cheddar gorge, Wells, mystical Glastonbury, the Cotswolds - and Salisbury, Stonehenge, Avebury Ring, Lacock, on the way there or back.

Or Shakespeare's Stratford-upon-Avon, with side trip to Warwick castle - and Oxford & the Cotswolds on the way there or back.

Or east to Arundel, with side trips into the South Downs or to bohemian Brighton. Chichester & Portsmouth on the way there or back.

The opportunities are endless.

Do some googling, narrow the choices down a bit, & we can expand on a short-list.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

Funnily enough, we have just spent the last weekend on the Isle of Wight, at Ventnor.

I would echo John Bull (as usual.. I would not dare contradict his experience and balanced advice!! ;) ) and say two nights would be enough although personally, I would stay on the mainland and maybe visit the island for a day rather than actually staying on the island and then you can visit the other places recommended in that area. But that is me.

On the other hand, if you really want to see and experience what the island has to offer, I don't think you could do that in a day. For one thing, it will take you a while to get from one part of it to the other with the confines of public transport and/or clogged up roads at a Bank Holiday.

Whatever you decide, Red Funnel ferries are very reliable and efficient and their site may give you ideas and help you decide how long to stay. See: http://www.redfunnel.co.uk

It will be Bank Holiday Weekend too and probably very busy. Accommodation is all a bit dated I find. In the nicest possible way, I have to say I think IOW really is a backwater - absolutely fine if you really do want to to chill out and slow down though. I have friends who absolutely love it. Walks are lovely - but remember it is quite hilly in places.

Edited by Scriv

Wow... thank you all for so much useful information. :D Now I think I may just stay in the south of England and do a day trip to the Isle of Wight which would leave us a few days to visit other places of interest from Southampton.

You've all been so helpful.

Yes, it is frustrating as you always have to factor in the ferry crossing. ..Quite a few places do deals including the ferry, but you have to be there 30 mins- 1 hr before the crossing which takes an hour. We paid about £25 each way for the car on a 'Night Away' deal. I know it is different rates from Portsmouth though, Bob and a faster crossing - the Southampton route is to East Cowes.

And although the ferry crossing is very efficient and organised, it does add 2 hours on to your journey each way and stress as to getting back to it on time.

Ventnor's accommodation was really expensive I thought for what it was - and low season too. Our options were all very dated.

Edited by Scriv

If you visit the New Forest, Lymington is a lovely town and they have a ferry crossing to Yarmouth on the Isle of Wight.

http://www.wightlink.co.uk/iow/go/isle-of-wight-ferry-routes-destinations/

Just along the coast from Lymington is Milford on Sea/Keyhaven,a lovely village with its own Ferry:eek::eek:

The Solent Rose

http://www.visitmilfordonsea.co.uk/boat-rides-boat-trips/4561781907

Edited by turnip eater

hancogran - turnip eater's suggestion is an interesting one. I like the suggestion of that myself!! Lymington is a lovely town and that way you get the New Forest too, which I think you would love to see, as well as your visit to the IOW.

hancogran - turnip eater's suggestion is an interesting one. I like the suggestion of that myself!! Lymington is a lovely town and that way you get the New Forest too, which I think you would love to see, as well as your visit to the IOW.

Wow.. there's just so many options, all of which sound good! :) I like that idea too.. The ferries from Lymington seem cheaper too than the Red Funnel ferry from Southampton...not that this is a determining factor, but just an observation. :)

Wow.. there's just so many options, all of which sound good! :) I like that idea too.. The ferries from Lymington seem cheaper too than the Red Funnel ferry from Southampton...not that this is a determining factor, but just an observation. :)

The ferry between IoW and Lymington is a shorter route. About 40-45 mins, including embarkation and disembarkation. We live near Lymington, so of course we think that is a good choice.

Edited by turnip eater

I think that's a much more pleasant option than staying in Southampton and visiting IOW from there.

I live near Southampton, but i still think Lymington is the best choice for hancogran. And I think there are lots of good accommodation options in the Forest/Lymngton area as well.

• 1 month later...

IOW all right for a day trip. For something a bit different though take the Hythe ferry and a 3min ride on the oldest pier train in the world,free. A quick walk round Hythe village. Take a taxi to Beauliue through the forest and maybe see the ponies and donkeys up the high street. (Book taxi for return trip). No guarantee of them though as they are all free to wander where they like and its not uncommon to have to drive for a mile behind them as they use the roads to move between fenced off areas. Brockenhurst is another pony laden village, with some smart donkeys sheltering in shop doorways when it rains. Try Balmer lawn hotel or Clouds hotel for a stay in the forest. Train from Southampton to Brockenhurst. Sorry I seem biased but I live on forest edge and its lovely.

I would stay on the Island. There are some highly recommended guest houses that are a fair bit cheaper than the equivalent on the mainland.

You could take a bus or hire a car to explore the Island on one day - Osborne House is a must - and catch the cat on foot to Portsmouth for the Historic Dockyard which is worth a full day at least.

I would stay on the Island. There are some highly recommended guest houses that are a fair bit cheaper than the equivalent on the mainland.

You could take a bus or hire a car to explore the Island on one day - Osborne House is a must - and catch the cat on foot to Portsmouth for the Historic Dockyard which is worth a full day at least.

Thanks Bob for your info. We DO plan on staying on the island. I have booked a hotel for three nights on the Isle of Wight and got a great deal since my husband works part time for a large hotel chain so we basically got it for half price.

I have made a note of your recommended suggestions as well as so many other great ideas of things to do from the Isle of Wight.

Thanks again to everyone for your help. :) Can't wait to get back to the U.K. :)

When we stayed a couple of days in Southampton last fall, we took the Red Funnel ferry over to the Isle of Wight. Wandered around for several hours, taking a local bus to a couple of places. Then on our return, we took the Hovercraft which was great fun. I believe it is the only commercial hovercraft operating in the world? Neat experience!!!

Linda (and C. D.)