Caribbean princess Cost vs Regal

planb

So we booked the Caribbean Princess and have noticed that the Regal that sails the day after is about 300. or more less for the same rooms. Wondering if this new ship is just not getting filled up but really surprised that the CB would be so much more. Only one other stop at Grand Turk but same time frame. I even called and the rep said there are lots and lots of cabins still available on the Regal. We love the CB and don't want to change but very surprised a new ship wouldn't be the 1st to sell out. Any thoughts?

It is reasonable to assume the newer ship would sell out first.

Though Regal does have about 600 more berths to fill each sailing.

I don't know which cabin category the OP is comparing, but as Regal lacks Oceanview cabins they can discount the non-Deluxe Balcony cabins a bit more and still achieve a higher average fare per cabin then Caribbean.

And newer ship = more bells and whistles = higher onboard spending per capita than on an older ship, even among passengers who did not specifically select the newer ship. I would think this is the reason that "last minute discounts" are appearing sooner on Regal and Royal than on other ships sailing the same week.

Bottom line is that all that really matters is filling berths with warm bodies a/k/a "onboard revenue opportunities". (But heaven help Princess if discounting motivates them to try a similar debacle as their briefly charging for room service and Alfredo's on the Regal).

This was a quandary for us when we were considering those 2 cruises. The Regal is my fav ship, but I really want to go to Grand Turk. For us, the longer time in St. Maarten won out on the Regal. Fast forward to now, and we didn't choose a Caribbean cruise, but those were our considerations when this was an option.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We priced March 2015 cruises. We choose 2 cabins - an inside and a balcony.

I compared the per night price for our cabins:

Price on Regal - 7 day itinerary - was only 60% of the per night price on Royal's 10 day itinerary, for the same cabins.

We took the same 10 day intinerary on the Emerald March 2014 and the per night price was the same as 2015 on Regal. So the same itinerary almost doubled in price on the Royal one year later.

I guess the revenue minions decided that passengers on the 7 day will spend more onboard than those on the 10 day, and the 10-dayers get to pay their share all up front ?! :eek: