Sports Jacket for Formal Night on Royal Caribbean?

Hello! We're (college students) planning a summer cruise on Royal Caribbean's Monarch of the Seas.

A few of the boys own suits, but one does not. I was wondering if "frat boy formal" (sports jacket with tie and dress shoes) would be appropriate. It is a black sports jacket, if that helps.

Do you know if the cruiseline rents suits, as well as tuxedos?

Anyone know how much tuxedo rentals are? Suit rentals?

The biggest thing is that this guy is super shy, so he's just going to want to look like everybody else. And if the other guys are wearing suits, then he's going to want to be in a suit. I don't want him to have to go out and buy a suit, so it would be great if RCI rented them.

Thank you!

I reread Royal Caribbean's formal attire, and it says that suits and tuxedos are formal, sport jackets are "smart casual." I haven't known them to do Smart Casual anymore except for C&A parties, which we wouldn't be attending.

So... I'd really like to know if suit rentals from RCI are an option. :)

Dress code threads can get a bit heated because everyone has a different interpretation of the "suggested dress code", which can be found on the website. Also on the website is info about tuxedo rentals; I'll give you the link below.

Having said that, he will look fine in a black jacket. Trust me, he will be more dressed up than some of the men you will see, I'm afraid. Some men do not wear a jacket at all on formal night. Just saying, not judging.

Enjoy your cruise.

https://tuxedorentals.rccl.com/tuxedo/tuxrental.nsf

I feel bad about the situation because it is all my fault that he has khakis and a black blazer instead of a suit. See, for my sorority's "formal" (it's actually semi-formal dress), all of the other girls were saying that there dates were going to wear khakis and blazers because they are frat boys. He is not a frat boy, but like I said, he's shy and just wants to blend in. So I told him to get khakis and a blazer. He confessed later that he would have rather gotten a suit. And I should have had him get a suit because I knew we'd be cruising and that "smart casual" was basically extinct. :(

I know that a lot of other young men don't wear jackets in the dining room. I've seen plenty in black pants, dress shirts, and ties and some in just khakis and dress shirts. But he's going to want to blend in with the guys in our group who I know have suits.

I apologize for this long rant.

Do you think that a tux would stand out against everyone's suits as being more formal? I've never thought that there was a huge difference.... :confused:

Yes, he will stand out in a tux... the question is, does he want to? You said he's shy. He may not want that kind of attention.

So tell you what... why doesn't he invest in a suit that he will have for several years? I know stores like Men's Wearhouse and such have reasonably-priced merchandise. For a little more than it costs to rent a tux, he can own a suit, he'll look smashing, and he can wear it again many times over (weddings, graduations, funerals, etc. - well, hopefully happy events!).

Just a suggestion. :)

Frequent Monarch/Sovereign Cruiser here -

The past two 3 night Monarch cruises we went on didn’t have formal night anyone - just smart casual. Most of the men will not be dressed in more than a sport jacket/slacks. The 4 night does have a formal night - but it is very relaxed. Sport Jacket/tie/slacks is FINE.

Enjoy

On our 4 night cruise on the Majesty, my date wore a blazer and khakis on formal night, and he was fine. He actually did own a suit but packed the khakis and blazer so that he could wear the pants to dinner another night and cut down on the packing. I wore a cocktail dress, and neither of us were out of place.

• 7 months later...

I agree with cruisegirl1. We've sailed on Monarch about 5 times and my DH initially took dark suits, but after a couple of cruises he took a blazer or sports jacket and dress pants or khakis. He fit in fine.

You will still see women who are dressed to the nines in full length gowns, but men are less likely to dress up. So he will not stand out in a sports jacket and dress pants or khakis. Some men will wear a tie, some will not.

It's nice to get a bit dressed up so you can have the pictures taken with everyone actually dressed "up".

College doesn't last forever, he will be able to get use out of both the suit and sportscoat in years to come.

If he doesn't want to stand out, a suit will work better. Plus, think of it this way, the $100 plus spent to rent a tux can go towards the purchase of a suit.

This thread was from last summer. :D ;)

Thanks for your advice again, guys! :)

Wow, I usually catch those :D I guess because it was a fairly short thread I didn't check.

Oh well, my answer would be the same, but I'm curious to know, did your friend purchase a suit???

No, one thing I left out of my original post is that his weight fluctuates greatly because he has to cut and gain for wrestling, which is why he didn't really want to purchase a suit for a long term. He ended up buying charcoal pants to go with his black sports coat, which I thought looked pretty spiffy.

This thread was from last summer. :D ;)

Thanks for your advice again, guys! :)

How bizarre! It was on the front page of this board but the last post before mine was from last May??? I never even dig to the second page so I have no idea how I managed to dredge this up.

Oh well ...

Archived