Holidays What to do?

Gabrielle R.

We will be in Costa Maya on January 1, 2016. Good news, we are in port from 7:00-5:00.

We have done the beach day in Costa Maya.... I'm thinking maybe ruins... I really don't want to do a ship tour... 8 hours is fine... BUT $$$ I don't want to pay that much when I'm sure I can get some better on our own.

We have done Chaccoben, would like to see something different- so... What do you recommend? I'm a history nut... DH... not so much.... BUT If I'm booking he will go with me.

So... What do you think for New Years Day?

In Costa Maya, those are basically your choices: beach day somewhere or Ruins. Since your DH is not history buffs, and you've seen one set of ruins (if with Native Choice, you probably got a short immersion into Mayan culture), I'd say you are in port long enough to take advantage of an A.I.. Look at Almaplena or Maya Chan for their packages. Almaplena is further south than Maya Chan and has a little better water quality, i.e., less sea grass less murkiness in the water that often happens at beaches along the malecon. Either are going to provide a restful day at the beach with limited people around.

Your other option is either a 4 wheeler ATV or bicycle trek along the malecon and points south. These are typically ship sponsored and do have a beach break component somewhere along the way or on the return.

Edited by crewsweeper

If I were in this port on New Years Day, I would go to Maya Chan for sure.

Not sure if they are open but you can email the owner.

It is a lovely day with great food, exceptional service and something special to begin the New Year.