BumpiingTours and Packing Qs

gftraveler89

My boyfriend and I are booked on a Celebrity Cruise (our first cruise ever) this February, and for the most part I've had my questions answered by either lurking or asking. I found out about Bumpiingtours on a thread about Dominica and have arranged to take the Rouseau Valley Treasures (wet?) tour. Levi recommended specific shoes to wear, and I'm just at that point where I'm starting to make packing lists and buy little things I think I'll need. I have a pair of Teva flip-flops that I was thinking of wearing, but I'm worried that I need something different for this excursion. I'd rather not buy a pair of hiking waterproof sandals for $100 if I can avoid it, but I also don't want to be that girl tripping over herself the whole time. I only have one pair of sneakers and while they are super cute, they are not so sporty. Could someone who has been on this tour give me an idea of what exactly I'll need to wear? Would those Tevas be fine with my swim suit, shorts, and a tee? It's silly, but I will fret over what to wear.

I've already bought a waterproof wallet/passport case that I can hang from my neck and a few waterproof cameras. I'm hoping to avoid taking a big bag on any of my excursions, especially this one as I don't want to have to lug around anything, or worry about anything getting wet. Are there any other suggestions anyone else would make? Be as specific as you would like, I am a planner and a worrier, so packing makes me a complete wreck.

My boyfriend and I are booked on a Celebrity Cruise (our first cruise ever) this February, and for the most part I've had my questions answered by either lurking or asking. I found out about Bumpiingtours on a thread about Dominica and have arranged to take the Rouseau Valley Treasures (wet?) tour. Levi recommended specific shoes to wear, and I'm just at that point where I'm starting to make packing lists and buy little things I think I'll need. I have a pair of Teva flip-flops that I was thinking of wearing, but I'm worried that I need something different for this excursion. I'd rather not buy a pair of hiking waterproof sandals for $100 if I can avoid it, but I also don't want to be that girl tripping over herself the whole time. I only have one pair of sneakers and while they are super cute, they are not so sporty. Could someone who has been on this tour give me an idea of what exactly I'll need to wear? Would those Tevas be fine with my swim suit, shorts, and a tee? It's silly, but I will fret over what to wear.

I've already bought a waterproof wallet/passport case that I can hang from my neck and a few waterproof cameras. I'm hoping to avoid taking a big bag on any of my excursions, especially this one as I don't want to have to lug around anything, or worry about anything getting wet. Are there any other suggestions anyone else would make? Be as specific as you would like, I am a planner and a worrier, so packing makes me a complete wreck.

Hi!

We did this tour and had had great time! I wouldn't recommend flip flops. There were 2 areas that would be a concern for me using flip flops.

Titou Gorge being one. You walk then swim through a rocky cavern like stream. It's beautiful (but cold!!) but the stream bed is quite rocky and I would think it would be a challenge to keep the flip flops on. The other would be the hike at Traflagar Falls. There is a path for most of this walk but towards the end you are walking/climbing over large rocks and boulders. If you want to avoid expensive pair of sandals I would say that a pair of water shoes would work for Titou Gorge (can be bought for under $20) as the rocks are not very sharp. You could do the walk to the falls in flip flops but you would have to be very careful.

Have a great time, it's a beautiful island!

I did bring a bag along for towels and what not. There were no problems leaving these things in the van when we visited each site. At the falls there were a few security guards in the parking lot but there were so many people around it would have been difficult for someone to break into the van unnoticed. I wouldn't bother bringing a credit card along as there is no place to use it. Just the cash for the tour, tip and a few incidentals. And of course your cruise card!

The drive was a lot up ups and downs and twists and turns. If any in your party are prone to car sickness I would recommend taking some Bonnine or some such medicine the day before.

I'm not sure if you've found this section of the boards yet.

Ports of Call - covers each port around the world. Here's a link to get you statred

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=151

Do not wear flip-flops if you will be getting wet....they get mighty slippery and you can hurt yourself! If you want rubber shoes, get water shoes, or sandals that firmly strap on. Or, just wear an old pair of sneakers that can't be ruined! (I nearly broke my ankle in flip-flops in a rainstorm once....mud, water and a loose shoe does NOT mix!!!)

I went on this tour with sneakers and a solid pair of Tevas with lots of straps. I felt I needed the sneakers for the hiking, particularly at Trafalgar Falls where we went beyond the lookout to the hot springs. However, the rocks were very slippery and I ended up going in the water with my sneakers instead of the Tevas. The Tevas were fine for Titou Gorge.

My very old Tevas started falling apart, so I bought a pair of Keen Whisper Water Sandals - love them. Very comfortable and for me are good for moderate hiking, water, and sand.

No problem taking stuff on the tour - Levi locks the van. You'll go to some remote places, but I had a sense that there were eyes everywhere and that anyone trying to break in would be not only noticed, but known to the local folks. Don't go too light on this tour - Titou Gorge was chilly - 2 towels would be good and maybe a sweatshirt.

To date this has been our very favorite island and excursion. We loved Levi with Bumpiing. You will have a fantastic day!

Hubby and I both wore Keens for this excursion and noticed that Levi also wears Keens. I know they are somewhat expensive but they are the shoes I tend to wear on all excursions because they have such a good sole for hiking and they dry fast if you swim in them. I got my first pair on e-bay for about $30 if you don't care about the color - they were last years - and I don't. I now have several pairs but my e-bay ones are still my cruise excursion shoes. Mine are the HO sport. I know Sketchers and Columbia make a similar shoe but not the same quality or comfort. If you order online Keens tend to run 1/2 size small. If you research and look you can frequently find them on clearance. I agree with the previous posters in that your Teva's aren't suitable. They are too slippery for the hike up to the falls and you definately need shoes that will stay on your feet at Titou Gorge.

Enjoy Dominica!!!

Archived