Recent day sail experiences?

capital6

There are so many good companies to choose from. Has anyone used Simplicity, Jester, or Treazzure? I was also looking at Rumbaba, but neither phone or email is working....are they still in business?

The open bar is not as important to me as quality snorkel stops at beautiful, peaceful, non touristy St. John stops on a safe boat with a good captain who is ok with kids on board.

Thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

Im thinking about this too. I am going in late September. I also contacted Rumbaba and I also got an undeliverable email. Simplicity will have their boat getting maintenance during the time I am there but they recommended Catania. So currently Im talking with them as well as Morningstar. I was trying to find a few people that had open bars. I'll probably pick between Morningstar and Catania. Once I do I will let you know.

We have sailed with Kathleen on Highpockets - great day. We are now looking for something a little more spacious. Are any of the boats mentioned catamarans?

Nightwind is larger than the others mentioned. It is docked at Sapphire marina.

Im thinking about this too. I am going in late September. I also contacted Rumbaba and I also got an undeliverable email. Simplicity will have their boat getting maintenance during the time I am there but they recommended Catania. So currently Im talking with them as well as Morningstar. I was trying to find a few people that had open bars. I'll probably pick between Morningstar and Catania. Once I do I will let you know.

We used Morningstar a few years ago (November 2011), and had a great experience!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Rumbaba got back to me. My last email did not get the message that they were full. He must have deleted some. Try to email again or contact him on the form on the website. His email back to me said he tries to match other prices and I ended up getting a little off his original price. I needed up choosing rumbaba based on the food choices. So I'm confirmed on rumbaba in about a month. OP try them again if you don't hear back.

We did Morningstar last September, I would NOT recommend them. The trip was nothing like it was described to us. I would choose a different company.

Can you provide some details as to why it did not meet your expectations?

We were told we would snorkel at two different locations. It took several hours to sail out to our first spot. They told us we would have a cooler full of beverages up on the beach, that didn't happen. Lunch was okay, nothing spectacular. We never made it to the second snorkel spot. We enjoyed visiting with the two other couples on the boat, they were very nice and that helped the day. The captain discussed too much of his personal life, such as his lack of payment to his landlord over the phone while we were sailing. I'm on vacation, I really don't care to listen to that while trying to relax and enjoy a day.

I really do not recommend this excursion with Morningstar. I would opt for a different day sail!

We were told we would snorkel at two different locations. It took several hours to sail out to our first spot. They told us we would have a cooler full of beverages up on the beach, that didn't happen. Lunch was okay, nothing spectacular. We never made it to the second snorkel spot. We enjoyed visiting with the two other couples on the boat, they were very nice and that helped the day. The captain discussed too much of his personal life, such as his lack of payment to his landlord over the phone while we were sailing. I'm on vacation, I really don't care to listen to that while trying to relax and enjoy a day.

I really do not recommend this excursion with Morningstar. I would opt for a different day sail!

Thank you for the clarification, it is very helpful.

Based on our last sail and our trip to St John, I am thinking that the snorkeling around St Thomas is just mediocre. I am not sure that we should even consider another daysail at this point unless the purpose is just to enjoy being out on the water and enjoying the views, especially if it involves the trip to Red Hook.

"Based on our last sail and our trip to St John, I am thinking that the snorkeling around St Thomas is just mediocre."

Okay, this does not make sense to me at all. If you sailed and snorkeled at St. John, how would that have a bearing on snorkeling on St. Thomas? Maybe I am misunderstanding your post. There is some very good snorkeling around St. Thomas.

"Based on our last sail and our trip to St John, I am thinking that the snorkeling around St Thomas is just mediocre."

Okay, this does not make sense to me at all. If you sailed and snorkeled at St. John, how would that have a bearing on snorkeling on St. Thomas? Maybe I am misunderstanding your post. There is some very good snorkeling around St. Thomas.

We have visited St Thomas twice. The first time we did a day sail out of and around St Thomas; the snorkeling was very disappointing. The second time was the trip to St John; considering how close St John is, I was considering that as "around St Thomas".

How about recommending the "very good snorkeling around St Thomas"? We'd be happy to find something as good as we've experienced on St Lucia, Cozumel or the Riviera Maya.

Edited by sippican

Well, I think any snorkeling is better than on St Lucia. :D The larger islands have too much run-off for clear water and the darker sand isn't as picturesque. (Don't get me wrong. I love St Lucia, but it isn't a water sports destination to me.)

Good St. Thomas sites include: Hull Bay, if there is no swell and Christmas Cove, which is actually off Great St James, just off the east end of St Thomas.

I do not know where your sail went, so it is really hard to compare. Snorkeling conditions can vary greatly depending on weather and sea conditions.

Well, I think any snorkeling is better than on St Lucia. :D The larger islands have too much run-off for clear water and the darker sand isn't as picturesque. (Don't get me wrong. I love St Lucia, but it isn't a water sports destination to me.)

Good St. Thomas sites include: Hull Bay, if there is no swell and Christmas Cove, which is actually off Great St James, just off the east end of St Thomas.

I do not know where your sail went, so it is really hard to compare. Snorkeling conditions can vary greatly depending on weather and sea conditions.

I don't know where your snorkeling took place on St Lucia, so it is really hard to compare. :D We were off the beach of Ti Kaye, crystal clear water and great sea life variety. As avid snorkelers we are well aware that conditions can vary greatly. However, we have yet to be impressed in the St Thomas area so my comment simply means that, after striking out twice, we may not want to spend a good hunk of change on a day sail, thinking that we might find good snorkeling.

I appreciate the recommendations and will look into them as possibilities.

sippi: If you just want to snorkel, you don't have to spend $$ for a day sail. There is plenty of off the beach snorkeling on St Thomas. You can look for an excursion that takes you to Christmas Cove, you do have to have a boat to get there.

I will look into Christmas Cove, thank you.

We went with Captain Jim from Jester. Great day and great captain, very relaxed and only 2 other couples on board. Great food, music and rum punches. :D

We went to St Johns island but he said it depended on weather which trip he would take.

• 4 weeks later...

RedRaidersRule or Capital6 - what did you think of Rumbaba? We're considering booking them for our cruise next March. We've got a group of 6 and could take over the boat! I really like the idea of being able to customize what we do and how long we get to do it.

Any other thoughts on Rumbaba?

Thanks...Pam

• 2 weeks later...

If you want a fantastic place to snorkel while in St Thomas go to a location called "The Indians" It is near the caves, another great spot. We have rented many Villas on St Thomas over the years, when there by ship we basically stay on board.

Took my Nephews to the Indians one year and when they hit the water came up gagging because their mouths opened up in amazement. They said it was an aquarium!! :p

I guarantee you can't go wrong! All charters know where it is.